NEED FLASHLIGHT for WAR ZONE

Merkava_4

Newly Enlightened
What would be a good flashlight for a war zone that can emit a coloured non-white beam? Some guys like the one in this thread could really use one while he's standing watch at night so he can see the scorpions coming his way. :eeksign:

So as I was searching the web, I really didn't come up with much in the way of flashlights that put out a coloured beam. Keep in mind though, sometimes you would need a coloured beam so that the enemy can't see you from a distance. :eek:

nc987

Enlightened
Agreed, Kroma fits the bill for any situation. If its too much go with nother SF led and a flip up red filter. E1L would be perfect or a L1 which gives you good runtime, two brightness settings and only requires one battery so you can stock up on batteries.

mdocod

Flashaholic
just about any LED light could be modded to a colored LED. Most of the modern high powered emitters are available in a wide assortment of colors.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
Why do we have a thread that talks about another thread? Seems a little bit silly...
1. Because the original thread has the wimpy title "Could use some help" when it should have read "AMERICAN SOLDIER IN WAR ZONE FORWARD OPERATING BASE NEEDS FLASHLIGHT NOW!"
2. Merkava_4 needs to start his own thread so he can gather info to summmerize in the other thread.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
Much lower price than Surefire. Uses the globally available AA cells. Waterproof, ruggedized, and drop tested.

Energizer Hard Case Tactical: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151875

You don't go to globally avaliable supermarkets when you're in the war zone. You must pack your own gear with everything you're going to need. That's what soldiers do. You just don't shop at your emenies grocery store.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merkava_4 said:
What would be a good flashlight for a war zone that can emit a coloured non-white beam? Some guys like the one in this thread could really use one while he's standing watch at night so he can see the scorpions coming his way. :eeksign:

So as I was searching the web, I really didn't come up with much in the way of flashlights that put out a coloured beam. Keep in mind though, sometimes you would need a coloured beam so that the enemy can't see you from a distance. :eek:
Well, if your only concern is the scorpions, then go with the Inova X5 UV. You can be sure these won't fail under any condition.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
You don't go to globally avaliable supermarkets when you're in the war zone. You must pack your own gear with everything you're going to need. That's what soldiers do. You just don't shop at your emenies grocery store.

How did we get onto the topic of supermarkets? AA cells are available in many more places than supermarkets. Whether you might go to supermarkets or not (or to the local equivalents of supermarkets), would depend on availability and conditions within the war zone. Whether you must pack along everything you need depends on conditions within the war zone. It's possible you might shop at the 'enemy's supermarket' or even loot the 'enemy's supermarket' to take what you need.

From reading various CPF threads, I have the impression that soldiers can nearly always get AA cells because they are nearly ubiquitous. However, CR123a cells may be quite hard to get while deployed, besides being more expensive. So, a light using AA cells may be quite advantageous to a typical soldier.

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
ringzero said:
From reading various CPF threads, I have the impression that soldiers can nearly always get AA cells because they are nearly ubiquitous. However, CR123a cells may be quite hard to get while deployed, besides being more expensive.

That sounds right. When i was in iraq in 2003, I remember AA and D cells were easy to find, either at the traveling px or out in town. I think AA cells were the easiest, because some of the equipment, like the night vision goggles, used them. C cells were very difficult to find, and I don't remember ever seeing any CR123.

Hahah, this was before my cpf days. I remember before we were deployed we all bought AA minimags at the px in 29 palms because they were so much handier than the crappy angle neck issue lights. Then a few weeks later in Kuwait, a friend pulls out this piece of plastic as big as his thumbnail and shines it in my face, blinding my dark adapted eyes. I pull out my trusty minimag, shine it in his face, and he just stares right into the light and laughs. He says, "You gotta get one of these," shows me his inova microlight, and right there a flashaholic is born.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
ringzero said:
How did we get onto the topic of supermarkets? AA cells are available in many more places than supermarkets. Whether you might go to supermarkets or not (or to the local equivalents of supermarkets), would depend on availability and conditions within the war zone. Whether you must pack along everything you need depends on conditions within the war zone. It's possible you might shop at the 'enemy's supermarket' or even loot the 'enemy's supermarket' to take what you need.

From reading various CPF threads, I have the impression that soldiers can nearly always get AA cells because they are nearly ubiquitous. However, CR123a cells may be quite hard to get while deployed, besides being more expensive. So, a light using AA cells may be quite advantageous to a typical soldier.

That's such BS, otherwise SureFire would NEVER make CR123a based flashlights and weapon lights. The military forces are their biggest customers.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
That's such BS, otherwise SureFire would NEVER make CR123a based flashlights and weapon lights. The military forces are their biggest customers.

This comment not only ignores reality, it is willfully ignorant. Try reading the relevant CPF threads or talk to some actual soldiers who have been deployed overseas.

BBL

Enlightened
Wow, 'WAR ZONE' in capital letters... there must be really a war going on somewhere...
would you mind telling us where this is?