Power Outage Last Night

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was sitting at the computer last night around 11pm.

Suddenly, lights go complely out. No flicker, no brownout, just dark, like someone threw a huge switch. Thankfully, even in my skivvies, I had my EDC, the Dorcy Super 1W! Go downstairs to find my wife sitting at the dinner table doing bills. She's frozen. It was PITCH BLACK. I give her that light and crack open "the bag". Lights aplenty. Grab MagLED 3D and take a step outside. The whole neighborhood is dark. A few of my neighbors were outside, saying they saw a blue flash in the sky right before it happened. They sometimes sit out and chat on one of their porches and I think they saw a transformer go on the pole on the corner.

Long story short, the power was back on in about 2 hours, but it was nice to take some of the lights out and give them a shakedown and let 'em stretch their legs a bit. The P90 in a 3-cell Surefire never ceases to amaze me when you get the chance to play with it outside at night and there's no lights around, how much of a monster that thing is. Wall hunting indoors just doesn't do it justince. I was very impressed with the MagLED 3D, it did very well! You do lose some color definition and depth to an incan, but it was throwing pretty well; I could light up trees from a few hundred yards away. The Inova X5 I gave to my wife so she could sit with my three year old, who got up when she heard us milling around and noticed that the night light was no longer on! The X5 is such a great light for long term, wide area use.

All in all, a flashaholic's dream. My wife rolled her eyes at me and asked "You're in your glory, aren't you?" and I just smiled, the pockets of my 5.11 shorts brimming with lights as I ran around and checked on stuff, consulted with neighbors, and helped them get around outside. Thankfully, it wasn't long term. The power came back on around 1am and I was able to set my alarm clock and shut off the lights that we had instinctively tried to turn on while the power was out.

Last edited:

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
Good thing you didn't run our in your scivvies.
Reminds me of this post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/149075
Check out post 6
yellowlaugh.gif

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta say, I was really surprised with how well the MagLED would throw. I swapped in an old Mag reflector that I had lightly sputtered and I adjusted the head so that when it's tightly screwed down all the way, the beam is focused into a tight spot. It was pretty impressive. My neighbor came out and she had a 3D with the stock lamp and it was just pitiful next to the LED. ;)

Illum

Flashaholic
sween1911 said:
I gotta say, I was really surprised with how well the MagLED would throw. I swapped in an old Mag reflector that I had lightly sputtered and I adjusted the head so that when it's tightly screwed down all the way, the beam is focused into a tight spot.

the one grudge I have with magleds is its pure throw....and having flood on stock reflectors would mean theres a hole in your beam:ohgeez:

sween1911 said:
It was pretty impressive. My neighbor came out and she had a 3D with the stock lamp and it was just pitiful next to the LED. ;)

sounds like someone should've pulled out a 3D ROP:naughty::naughty::naughty:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Nice!

I actually want to get a power outage... so I can use my lights! Would be running around on my street like a mad man... :D

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
sounds like someone should've pulled out a 3D ROP:naughty::naughty::naughty:

I want to do a ROP LE out of my 2C Mag. As it is, I was running the 6-cell Xenon bulb and 3 CR123 primaries :)

My only regret is I forgot to bring out the Vector Spotlight to play. :(

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Blue flash in the sky sounds like a transformer explosion. I was walking home one day at night and a power huge transformer at a power station right across the street where i was walking exploded and lit up the the entire sky with a ghostly blue flash. I damn near hit the deck in confusion thinking that it was a bomb.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice outage. Sounds like you were ready for the situation. It's like an old episode of Lost in Space when John Robinson yells out ...."Break out the lasers"