CR123 cell compartment replacement / modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious if Arc is making arrangments to build CR123 compartments to replace those that were a little too short but went out with the 400mA and 500mA hybrids anyway? If so, how do we go about getting one?

If not, are there any suggested fixes for the problem? I have resorted to my old method which is to use Selley's Stop Leak Self-amalgating tape to make a new gasket at the base of the threads on the body. This provides the little bit of extra friction to keep the head in position. But it doesn't feel like a good fix.

Thanks in advance to all.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just send Arc an email and they will ship you one. I already received mine. It's bored out deeper than the original ones.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't receive any email notification either. It just showed up one day (about 1-2 weeks after I emailed them).

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, we are behind on email but you shouldn't have to wait more than a 2-3 days at the most for a reply. I think while we where gone, it got further behind than that.

We do have corrected packs to send out and these will make most if not all of the 123 brands work. We will also replace them with a TSP (when they become available) if you so choose.

Peter Gransee

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Merri Stafford just emailed me. Reply sent.

Lots of thanks to everyone at Arc for working so hard. New products are never easy to get 100% right and I understand the amount of extra work that goes in to it, especially when satisfying fanatics.

BTW, Peter, I'm a graduating mechanical engineer looking for work. I have a good eye for details, good practical and theoretical knowledge, with a penchant for re-engineering and innovativeness. Do you have any positions open?
smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome! This will work out. It just takes time.

I just noticed you said, "Stafford" instead of "Gransee". This reminded me to update her software so I just fixed her email program to reflect her new last name.

Thanks for the skill offer. We don't have any positions open. Btw, I transistioned ("optomized") Mike Munroe from production manager to Lead Tech/engineering. Lately he has been engineering full time. Dawn is now our production manager. Mike also has the help of another gentleman who is very qualified in engineering. I am not ready to annouce who he is yet but I will say he is the owner of a LED flashlight company with an excellent reputation for quality. We are making um.. special items for him. Ok, that's all I am saying right now. But trust me, he knows his stuff and I feel solid about the drawings he and Mike are generating. One of the requirements I had before we would do anything for him was that first he would help solve my power pack problems. It has been refreshing to talk to someone at his level about LED flashlights.

Don't you like how I just hide some off topic tidbit in a random thread?
smile.gif

Peter Gransee

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now it clicks!
smile.gif
So that's the wonderful young lady you married? Heard some rumblings but missed most of the thread, that's why I missed the name.
tongue.gif
Congratulations!!
grin.gif

Regarding the job query: I'm sure you understand the frustrations of looking for a first job. Just threw that in there as a long shot.
smile.gif
Afterall, if the long shot pans out, I could be working in a field that really interests me. Got a few other long shots in the making as I go through all the standard, "more realistic", stuff.
smile.gif

As for the tidbit. Wouldn't you know. I'm the worst person to take it and run with it. Don't have my thumb on the industry's who's who. There are, though, only 4 other companies I can think of who build LED flashlights that have some sort of engineering requirement beyond bunging 3 cells together with a few LEDs: SureFire, CMG Equipment, Eternalights and PAL Lights.

Hope someone else can pick up this tidbit and enlighten us.
smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, don't guess. Because you or someone else smart on this board will figure it out. And then I will regret saying anything. Just tuck it away for a future date. The point of saying anything was as nascar pointed out, "to let you guys in on some of steps we are taking to solve these problems". I could have said, we have an outside engineer assisting Mike on the power pack designs. But somehow that just doesn't convey the skill level this gentleman is at. Of course, why even talk it up? It's better to pleasently surprise you.

Moving on...
wink.gif

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that. It's not fair for me to blab and then say you can't start guessing. I considered erasing my original post...

Peter Gransee

yclo

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Steelwolf:
.... I'm a graduating mechanical engineer looking for work.....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What? You too??
Not that I'm graduating this year, I have another year to go.

-YC

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by yclo:
What? You too??
Not that I'm graduating this year, I have another year to go.

-YC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep. Me too.
smile.gif
Maybe we'll meet up sometime in our careers? I'm the curly-haired asian dude with a knife in one pocket and an LED flashlight in the other.
grin.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as an aside, for anyone interested. I've finally used up my first CR123 cell in my LS (that was pretty fast).

The cell was totally drained until it could no longer support even a glow. I let the cell recover slightly, then turned on the flashlight again. The Arc produced a green glow not unlike that of a Traser. It looks as if someone stuck a traser under the collimater. Exact same shade of green. Almost as bright too, though that fades as the cell dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.