• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Wanted : small yet high heatsinks

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there!

For another custom lighting project I am looking for small yet high heatsinks. The maximum surface is 15mm x 20mm (0.6"x0.8") and it has to be high enough to cool a 1.2W driven Luxeon LED. Is there any source where I can get this kind of heatsink for a reasonable price? I am looking for 16 pieces.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
A heatsink dumps heat to something. If by "high" you mean the heatsink is supposed to dump the Luxeon's heat to the surrounding air, then it would have to be like 8 inches high and vented to have enough surface for that. If it's dumping heat to a larger body (metallic shell, whatever), then height does not help the heatsink unless you need height to reach the parent body. How high to you need it?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eramus, I recommend you take a look at the RAM HS. They're inexpensive and effective for your needs.

something similar to this. We have lots of them in the states. If you need to get some let us know.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
A heatsink dumps heat to something. If by "high" you mean the heatsink is supposed to dump the Luxeon's heat to the surrounding air, then it would have to be like 8 inches high and vented to have enough surface for that. If it's dumping heat to a larger body (metallic shell, whatever), then height does not help the heatsink unless you need height to reach the parent body. How high to you need it?
A heatsink of eight inches high to dissipate 1W of heat? Is this really true?

The heatsinks should indeed dump the heat in the surrounding air and there's no air stream.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
bombelman said:
Can be done.
Can you mail me dimensions/drawings ?
Hmm I'm not looking for a custom solution since it will probably be too expensive. I'm looking for some standard aluminum heatsinks with a reasonable price.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag said:
Eramus, I recommend you take a look at the RAM HS. They're inexpensive and effective for your needs.

something similar to this. We have lots of them in the states. If you need to get some let us know.
Thanks for your reply! I already tried the big heatsinks of this package : http://www.casecooler.com/zaalvgaramhe.html . They measure 13x13x13mm (.51'x.51'x.51'). They get quite high but I don't know if this is enought to dissipate all the heat for a long time (sometimes these lights have to run for 8 hours non stop). There are no technical specs about the heatsinks so I can not calculate it...

Still looking for a solution :)

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solid metal heatsinks actually do not move heat very far with good effectiveness; at most a couple inches with aluminum and a few with copper. There have been many thermal images of large, elaborately finned CPU heatsinks that show most of the heat is radiated from near the base of the fins for this very reason, and if you really want to move heat a greater distance than that a heatpipe or liquid cooling solution is needed.

1.2w is not a lot though, especially if there is some active cooling (a fan) which helps a LOT.

I'd suggest the cheapest solution would be to go to a computer recycler and get a large copper Pentium 4 heatsink. With a bandsaw you could cut 16 very small + tall (up to 2") pieces easily, and see for yourself if any additional airflow is needed.