Anyone feel Weird Having alot of $$ in Light on them

jason9987

Newly Enlightened
I regularly EDC My CR2 Ion XRE and HDS U60XRGT some times it seems funny that I have $400+ worth of flashlights on me, more than the price of my Cell phone and cash in my wallet combined. I know some here probaly have alot more than that with Custom and Ti lights:drool:. It just seems funny that the most valuble(dollar value) thing I have on me is my flashlights, But i guess thats what being a Flashaholic is about:lolsign:

I get more nervous if I cant find one of my lights than if I cant find my phone

I guess its good that the average person has no idea what the lights are worth and would probably try to steal a phone before a flashlight:sssh:

Edit: oops, just realized I posted this in the LED forum, should be in General Flashlight, if a mod reads this please move it

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...moved. I don't think the feeling is weird. It's knowing you have a quality tool on you in case it's needed and you can rely on it. BTW, how many folks are carrying around free cellphones, so I'd guess a lot of lights are worth more than a cell phone!

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Ask your wife or girlfriend if she feels wierd about wearing expensive shoes or jewellry :lolsign:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It used to seem weird, but now just seems weird if I DON"T have a high dollar light on me. I know I can trust my surefires over all others. I do think about the mugging senario but then think hey...I can blind the fool and hopefully hit him in the face with it...literally.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, I certainly don't feel weird EDC'ing flashlights on me costing +$$$+ especially if there's more than one on my person for it'll always be used throughout the day and evening.

How about some of those that sport expensive watches (+$$$$+) on their wrists and/or fountain pens! :huh: More than likely feeling awkward or out of place with it is the farthest thing from their minds.

Enjoy!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, how about you guys whose wives wear ($$$$$) diamond ring 24/7? Methinks that carrying a $300+ light is a drop in the bucket. At least a flashlight has *utility* :D

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't feel weird. Including the shipping, my Draco with battery cost me a little under $190 (had to upgrade from stock, hence the extra dough). It's on my keychain and I'm proud to have it with me. One thing I think I might feel strange carrying around, though, is my new Chris Reeve Mnandi. Not that it's so expensive, but it's just that I think I'd feel silly after telling somebody how much it cost! Strangely, I don't feel very uncomfortable telling people I have flashlights that cost hundreds of dollars. I guess when it comes to flashlights, I've already gone off in the deep end.

Last edited:

highorder

Enlightened
CM said:
Well, how about you guys whose wives wear ($$$$$) diamond ring 24/7? Methinks that carrying a $300+ light is a drop in the bucket. At least a flashlight has *utility* :D

my thoughts exactly.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
About $420 in lights, $80 in holsters, $40 in pens, a $30 wallet, and $150 in SOGs, plus cells and other miscellany. Who're you calling a freak? :)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Hmmmm.... Made me think, once the money is spent, its spent. Just enjoy your lights like any other tools. Chances are if they are $300-$500, they are designed to take what ever you dish out to it. Use it, and use it hard, dont think about the price.

I read somewhere on another forum, someones sigline says: "Don't trust your life with a $100 knife."

The same could be said about lights.... Maybe?

:popcorn:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I used to feel a little weird carrying an expensive light with me but that has worn off. Now I just consider them well-designed, very effective tools. The world won't come to an end if I lose a good light or have one stolen but it will be a sad day.:awman:

Hopefully if I'm ever mugged I'll have another well-designed tool with me to protect myself and my lights.:xyxgun:

defusion

Enlightened
$300 MP3 player
$600 PDA/phone/camera/GPS thinghy
$300 in flashlights
$200 in knives/tools
$100 watch
$220 sunglasses
$50 pen
$200 backpack
$1500 laptop (though i wasn't the one to pay for that :sssh:)

being prepared for anything the urban jungle has to offer; priceless

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
If consciouslly you feel uncomfortable EDCing good lights, you might be lucky not have the EDC virus yet:grin2:

Lights are tools, good tools cost more money, so having good lights on you usually mean they're worth alot

cant speak for others but for me EDCing my A2 and mclux doesnt bother me because I know they will work when I need it.

Sure theres the possibility of losing it but hey, that affects not just flashlights, but stuff more important like car keys and eyglasses too:grin2:

defusion said:
$300 MP3 player
$600 PDA/phone/camera/GPS thinghy
$300 in flashlights
$200 in knives/tools
$100 watch
$220 sunglasses
$50 pen
$200 backpack
$1500 laptop (though i wasn't the one to pay for that :sssh:)

being prepared for anything the urban jungle has to offer; priceless

Im cutting on budget [except the lights section]
$150 MP3
$435 [Mclux, SF A2, Fenix L2P, SF G2] [all second hand, if new $528]
$100 in knives [all second hand, if new $260]
$20 Fossil pocketwatch
$10 Pen
$35 backpack
[$40,000 TWD] Laptop [about $1200 USD], bought it back in Taiwan for a chinese XP edition [gift from dad for graduating in honors from High School:sssh:]

Last edited:

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Not really- lights are tools and tools are meant to be used. That being said if you think you will be in a situation with a high probability of theft, loss or damage you might be well suited to find a light with similar brightness and attributes that costs less. This was a large reason for buying a fenix l2dce to replace my ARC4+.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I have never felt weird about carrying the lights I do. I feel comfy in the fact that I KNOW I have high quality equipment on me.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well, my cellphone is worth $400; paid $200 for it.
I normally EDC a Surefire L4. So I have no clue what you mean. :grin2:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind having alot of money in tools or gadgets as long as the incremental value is there or they retain their value.

The problem is that flashlights no longer hold their value. Now that companies are getting more and more caught up with technology and China's factories have geared into production, high dollar light values plumet very quickly. Those of us who have been around for a few years can remember the grail lights that we talked about. It was such a great thing when someone figured out two different light levels or the ability to use these new and cool rechargeable lithium batteries. Now thats old hat. I've said it several times on here that what is a 25 dollar light now was the 250 dollar grail light just two years ago. Thats why I've stopped buying the really expensive flashlight stuff. It just doesn't hold its value. For example, I can partially justify wearing expensive watches because I buy them used and they don't really lose any value.

Now the other consideration is whether its incrementally worth the extra amount. If it was an amazing item and truly worth the extra 100 bucks or so, I would buy it and consider the depreciation a necessary cost. But most of the time its not. Yes, stuff like the Draco is very cool but is it really worth the extra 200 bucks over something like an L0D-CE? To me, no. And I'm finding that the incremental value simply isn't there for most high dollar lights.

As always, everyone has their own priorities in life so YMMV...