Tune in here for: WHEN GOOD FLASHLIGHTS GO BAD !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light-Headed

Enlightened
I have what may be a silly question. Many of us have the original Arc LS revision 1 flashlights with the 10 year Arc warranty.

My question is, what happens if these go bad while under warranty? I know that Peter will take care of us....but really.....what will happen?

I guess what I'm getting at, is that further down the line....say.....in a year.....or even 5 years, I can envision that the LS revision 1 won't exist and maybe even the LS revision 2 won't exist. Maybe the problems with the 5 watt luxeons get worked out and Arc is producing nothing but 5 watt LS revision 3's or maybe something even cooler.

So, what happens if my LS revision 1 dies and can't be easily fixed or can't be fixed at all? Will I just get a new revision 3 to replace it?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered before. I'm just curious.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Sean:
If it can't be fixed, I think you either get whatever the current model is or some kind of credit??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">IMO, arc light will go out of business if that is done. The warranty is only good for defective items. If there are no more repair parts for the LS down the road, then you will be SOL.

PeterM

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by E__WOK:
IMO, arc light will go out of business if that is done. The warranty is only good for defective items. If there are no more repair parts for the LS down the road, then you will be SOL.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

[EDIT]:Damn, I screwed up the quote thing.

I can't imagine that's the case. If a warranty is for 10 yrs. and the item dies in 9 yrs., then by definition it's defective and should be covered, excluding abuse of course. And AFAIK, this isn't a "pro-rated" warranty so the credit route would be most appropriate. That's the way most long term warranty issues are handled. Unless there are some serious unknown issues involved here, I can't envision a return rate significant enough to put ARC "out of business". Maybe Peter will clarify his intentions on this.

[EDIT]:Damn, I screwed up the quote thing.

Just a few missplaced /s. Fixed -Saaby
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I once sent a defective hard drive in for repair near the end of it's three year warranty. Because that particular size was obsolete, I received a higher capacity replacement. I assume Arc would do the same, that is offer it's most compatible replacement/upgrade. That's all they can do. I'm sure Peter hopes to gladly have this problem nine years from now.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

this_is_nascar
Flashaholic
Member # 1492
posted 07-31-2002 11:35 PM                        
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter, I was just thinking. If you're going to discontinue the making of the LS1, how do you plan to honor the 10-year warranty?
Let's say one year-6 my LS1 bites the big one. How would I be able to get a replacement under your 10-year warranty program?

Gransee
Member # 187
posted 07-31-2002 11:56 PM                        
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nascar, here's the escalation:
1. repair
2. replace with same model
3. replace with similiar model
4. refund
This is pretty typical with the industry.
The rev2 housing may be more repairable than the rev1.

E__WOK

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by galavanter:

Nascar, here's the escalation:
1. repair
2. replace with same model
3. replace with similiar model
4. refund
This is pretty typical with the industry.
The rev2 housing may be more repairable than the rev1.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If I was the manufacturer of any product,#1-3 is fine but unless the owner of the defective item purchased it directly from the company, there is no way I would give a cash refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.