PEAK

Thread: what happened to camillus

Default what happened to camillus

tried going to their sight about 2 weeks ago and it said "this sight has been closed" did they go out of business

Flashaholic

Default Re: what happened to camillus

From Wikipedia: "The Camillus Cutlery factory closed on February 28th, 2007. The company cites inability to compete with foreign markets as its reason for closing. "
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

i could find out since my job sells there knives
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

There was this whole fiasco with the Camillus employees that pretty much destabilized the entire operation. See the Camillus forum at BladeForums.com for more...
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

its sad to hear about a good old knife company going under because of something stupid

sad,,,,

One of the saddest moments in knife history. Here's a link.

Camillus Closing
    www.EDCdepot.com Please use the coupon code CPF to receive your 5% discount on all purchases. If we carry it, so should you. FREE Spy Capsule with every order.

Flashaholic

A six month employee strike can break the back of most companies.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

damn that sucks, when i first found out i tried there phone number but it doesn't work. i only have one knife by them and i love it, i use it everyday at work
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

Ugh, I was really hoping to get my hands on a Becker Necker, talk about a bang for the buck utility blade.

When will the foreign company restart Camillus? I know you guys will hate it but at least there will still be a warranty, repair, parts available.

Flashaholic*

Really sad. Their knives were really great. I just picked up a Camillus Heat (along with previous Camilluses I already had) and it's such a great knife.
    Streamlight: TL-3 Xenon, Vital Stream Scorpion-FB1, Scorpion LED SSC P4, KeyMate Silver (Nichia CS)
    Nuwai: 2x QIII TWOH (Green and Titanium), TM-313X Ti (QV1J DD 14500)
    Surefire: M2+C2-HA+Detonator, E2D, VG FB1+EXe, VG FB3+E2C+C2
    Vital Gear F2, Huntlight FT01, Jetbeam Jet1 AA and 123A, Fenix E1 (Silver), Luxogen LR5A-3W & LR12 CR2 (SCC P4), Spiderfire LR8, NexTorch Z1, Gerber Infinity Ultra (2x Green), Dae's UV 12LED
    Emergency Kit & Knives Pics - Lights & Knives Pics - Small Knife/Lights

Flashaholic*

RIP Camillus, I have a Dominator from them, the best knife I ever had.

Never gonna buy a foreign made knife, or light for that matter, again.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Quote Originally Posted by 270winchester
    Never gonna buy a foreign made knife, or light for that matter, again.
    Even most companies we think are USA only have some or all of their part/labor outsourced to foreign countries.

Custom shops are about the only pure American places you can buy and even they get their supplies out of the country often.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by sejvaar
    Even most companies we think are USA only have some or all of their part/labor outsourced to foreign countries.

Custom shops are about the only pure American places you can buy and even they get their supplies out of the country often.
    tell that to workers at Camillus.

Last edited by 270winchester; 05-19-2007 at 10:10 PM.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

They dont need me to tell them,,,they are experiencing the realities of it.

Flashaholic

Its not like the Cammilus workers didn't have a strong hand in the company's demise. A 6 month strike? How many companies can survive that?

IMO - if I go on strike for 6 months I have no basis for complaint for being unemployed.

Yeah, the whole thing makes me sad. As usual, the workers got screwed. The company missed the last payment to the workers retirement fund. Some of those guys had over 30 years in. From what I've read, the owners freaked out when Schrade went under, and pretty much took the money and ran. Mr. Becker is trying to get his designs back through the courts, so somebody elce can make them. I too wonder what will happen to the name/trademarks. I had a BK-9, and a Madd Maxx. Sold them like an idiot.
    Gladius, A2, E20-HA, 6p

When ever i drive by (i live in jamesville) i get angry at forign companies and the taxes in NY

RIP. At least I still have some reminders.

Paladin