what happened to camillus

jbosman1013

Enlightened
tried going to their sight about 2 weeks ago and it said "this sight has been closed" did they go out of business

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
From Wikipedia: "The Camillus Cutlery factory closed on February 28th, 2007. The company cites inability to compete with foreign markets as its reason for closing. "

Flashlight Enthusiast
i could find out since my job sells there knives

carrot

Flashaholic
There was this whole fiasco with the Camillus employees that pretty much destabilized the entire operation. See the Camillus forum at BladeForums.com for more...

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn that sucks, when i first found out i tried there phone number but it doesn't work. i only have one knife by them and i love it, i use it everyday at work

Cowbiker

Newly Enlightened
Ugh, I was really hoping to get my hands on a Becker Necker, talk about a bang for the buck utility blade.

dmz

Enlightened
When will the foreign company restart Camillus? I know you guys will hate it but at least there will still be a warranty, repair, parts available.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really sad. Their knives were really great. I just picked up a Camillus Heat (along with previous Camilluses I already had) and it's such a great knife.

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
270winchester said:
Never gonna buy a foreign made knife, or light for that matter, again.

Even most companies we think are USA only have some or all of their part/labor outsourced to foreign countries.

Custom shops are about the only pure American places you can buy and even they get their supplies out of the country often.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
sejvaar said:
Even most companies we think are USA only have some or all of their part/labor outsourced to foreign countries.

Custom shops are about the only pure American places you can buy and even they get their supplies out of the country often.

tell that to workers at Camillus.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
They dont need me to tell them,,,they are experiencing the realities of it.

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
Its not like the Cammilus workers didn't have a strong hand in the company's demise. A 6 month strike? How many companies can survive that?

IMO - if I go on strike for 6 months I have no basis for complaint for being unemployed.

The Hobbit

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the whole thing makes me sad.:mecry: As usual, the workers got screwed. The company missed the last payment to the workers retirement fund. Some of those guys had over 30 years in. :sigh: From what I've read, the owners freaked out when Schrade went under, and pretty much took the money and ran. Mr. Becker is trying to get his designs back through the courts, so somebody elce can make them. I too wonder what will happen to the name/trademarks. I had a BK-9, and a Madd Maxx. Sold them like an idiot. :ohgeez:

Abrams.357

Newly Enlightened
When ever i drive by (i live in jamesville) i get angry at forign companies and the taxes in NY

Paladin

Enlightened
RIP. At least I still have some reminders.

Paladin
Captured_2007-7-29_00000.jpg