Which light?

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Which light would you get from http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/
I am ordering some knives and other things from there. I was looking at a minimag, but I am curious what you would get in the $50 budget range, or <$100 from there.
I want something for EDC, <7 inches I think, something that would fit in the double maxpedition pouch they sell on this site, or something like that.
Let me know. I want something with decent range and that has a nicely focused beam (the circle is not too wide in diameter, not sure proper terminology, it's centered and bright.)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Well, those are some broad parameters. If you really want to spend up to $100 bucks, then I say hold off buying there and purchase a Surefire E2e or C2.

If you want an LED light the P3D CE is an awesome value at $65 dollars. Available here: http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=231

If you're just dying to buy a light there that is similar to what you're describing...I guess that I'd have to go with the Inova T3.
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/t3-wb.html

Good Luck :)

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
Well, those are some broad parameters. If you really want to spend up to $100 bucks, then I say hold off buying there and purchase a Surefire E2e or C2.

If you want an LED light the P3D CE is an awesome value at $65 dollars. Available here: http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_55&products_id=231

If you're just dying to buy a light there that is similar to what you're describing...I guess that I'd have to go with the Inova T3.
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/t3-wb.html

Good Luck :)

That's pretty nice. I forgot, I would like something that takes aa or aaa preferabley (aa would be nice, even if it's 4.) If it fits in this, it'd be nice http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/mx1412.html
If you can recommend me a carrying case that'd go on your belt or something from that site, let me know.
I could do cr123, but then I'd have to buy another charger and more batteries (how much more $ should I expect for this?)
I think I'd prefer LED too.
PS, I am slightly drunk at the moment, but I am certain I am getting a flash light when I place the order Monday.
Thanks btw.
Right now I have a 7 watt aaa led flashlight from dealextreme (i'd link you, but the site isn't working for me), it's pretty bright, something brighter would be better, I have found, however, it's built like junk, it'd be nice if it took aa.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by having to buy another charger. CR123 batteries are not rechargeable. RCR123s are rechargeable but operate at different voltages that can damage some LEDs, so you have to be specific when you put RCR123s in a light.

If you buy the Inova T3, the only other thing that you need is some CR123s and that's all. It will fit inside of the pouch you mentioned. The batteries are very reasonable at about $1 each.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/1pcsofcrteli.html

These have good run-time, but arn't as tactical or bright as the T3. It's 4AA.
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/st68344.html

Last edited:

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by having to buy another charger. CR123 batteries are not rechargeable. RCR123s are rechargeable but operate at different voltages that can damage some LEDs, so you have to be specific when you put RCR123s in a light.

If you buy the Inova T3, the only other think that you need is some CR123s and that's all. It will fit inside of the pouch you mentioned. The batteries are very reasonable at about $1 each.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/1pcsofcrteli.html

These have good run-time, but arn't as tactical or bright as the T3. It's 4AA.
http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/st68344.html
Ah, I did not realize, I love rechargables.
Are cr123's very long lasting? I go through a charge of 2500 mah aa very quickly, I'm not sure if I'd like having a stash of cr123, especially when I hear they are super expensive in local stores, and that you have to order them online.

That streamlight is nice, but I think it might be too big for EDC. I'm a small guy, and on my belt I want to minimize pouches. The maxpedition I think holds only up to 6".
I wonder if there are any pouches at knifsupplyco that would fit the streamlight. hm...
Thanks btw, I greatly appreciate the help.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Sorry JaG, but I think I'm going to have to stay with the T3. Here is 5 star review of it. http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm If you're worried about getting batteries on line only without paying higher prices, buy 50 of them at one time for .97 each.

This light isn't going to go through batteries like you're used to. It has good run-time. See the run-time graphs in the review.

The P3D CE that I mentioned earlier takes RCR123s but you sound gung-ho to buy your flashlight at Knife and Supply, which is limiting your options.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
Sorry JaG, but I think I'm going to have to stay with the T3. Here is 5 star review of it. http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm If you're worried about getting batteries on line only without paying higher prices, buy 50 of them at one time for .97 each.

This light isn't going to go through batteries like you're used to. It has good run-time.

We the P3D CE that I mentioned earlier takes RCR123s but you sound gung-ho to buy your flashlight at Knife and Supply, which is limiting your options.
Well, I am in Canada, and my only payment option is Paypal. Because of that, I am quite limited, shipping for 1 item is decently expensive regardless of where I buy it.
I am however, more then welcome to listen to some advice. The T3 does seem neat, the other flashlight seems like it packs a nice punch as well, however it is quite big. Knife supply co seems to have a nice invenetory. I'm a flashlight newb though and just looking for something that will work when walking with friends at night and all.

Edit :: That link you linked me to with the P3D does seem to be pretty decent, takes paypal and ships world wide. Could work out. I am curious what others think. I hope it fits in the maxpedition. How long can I expect from the cr123, and if it does take Rc123, do you think it's worth the investment (I am guessing it'll be upwards of like $20-30 for a charger and a few batteries, if not more.)

Last edited:

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
The Fenix L2D CE takes rechargeable AAs and Serious Lights is located in Canada. Might save you some shipping.
http://www.seriouslights.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=118

It's also a five star rated light. Check out those run-times!
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm
Wow, that's a neat light! The canadian retailer and paypal option is very nice.
I'm about to read the review. Looks like it's built solid too.
Here's a queston: By going AA, am I sacrifycing quality / power / etc over CR123 (which seems to be the new thing?)
Also, should I expect a significant improvement in brightness / distance over my cheapo $16 7w AAA (3x) dealextreme light?
Edit : Looks like that site has a good deal with that light and a fenix km3 pocket knife. I am curious if the knife is any decent and if it's work acting on the deal, even if I don't need the knife.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
JaGWiRE said:
Wow, that's a neat light!
I'm about to read the review. Looks like it's built solid too.
Here's a queston: By going AA, am I sacrifycing quality / power / etc over CR123 (which seems to be the new thing?)
Also, should I expect a significant improvement in brightness / distance over my cheapo $16 7w AAA (3x) dealextreme light?

No, you're not sacrificing quality, but you are sacrificing voltage. Two cr123s = 6.0 volts. Two AAs = 3.0 volts. AA lights will be longer compared to cr123. AAs do have the advantage of capacity...up to 2750mah vs. 1500mah. So the run-times will be better with AA.

You will see a startling difference between a L2D CE or P3D CE compared to your dealextreme light....huge difference. Much brighter and longer run-times with Cree LEDs.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
No, you're not sacrificing quality, but you are sacrificing voltage. Two cr123s = 6.0 volts. Two AAs = 3.0 volts. AA lights will be longer compared to cr123. AAs do have the advantage of capacity...up to 2750mah vs. 1500mah. So the run-times will be better with AA.

You will see a startling difference between a L2D CE or P3D CE compared to your dealextreme light....huge difference. Much brighter and longer run-times with Cree LEDs.
Nice. Patrot, I appreciate your advice, you seem like a man of knowledge when it comes to lights. If you ever need some photography help or something, let me know, :). :lolsign:

As I am not placing the order till Monday, I figure I'll let a few more people chimp in. I was satisfied with the minimag, but wasn't sure if it would fit in the maxpedition pouch (I think this is a good choice, no?), and when I read that it was not that great and the led version is not like the original non-led version in terms of quality and reputation, I was sort of deturred and figured a post would not hurt. I'm not sure if it'd be ridiculous to expect the light to do decently say 100m away in pretty dark environments (outside with few lights around), I found my dealextreme did an okay job (can't really see a focused beam, but you can see the light on buildings and stuff from that far away.)
I guess the voltage difference will affect brightness and outut power?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The great flashlight site FlashlightReviews.com has a link to FenixTactical.com where you can buy Fenix lights in Canada. The L2d-ce uses 2 AA batteries and is a great, bright light with multi-levels.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
LED_Thrift said:
The great flashlight site FlashlightReviews.com has a link to FenixTactical.com where you can buy Fenix lights in Canada. The L2d-ce uses 2 AA batteries and is a great, bright light with multi-levels.
Two recommendations for this light... Looking good!
PS, I see guys here are spending several hundred on a light. Is there a singificant difference in this light and say one for $200-300 in the same size range, in terms of output (runtime, brightness, distance, etc?) I am guessing a lot of the lights above this price you pay for build quality and the best parts, but I'm not sure.

Patriot

Flashaholic
JaGWiRE said:
Nice. Patrot, I appreciate your advice, you seem like a man of knowledge when it comes to lights. If you ever need some photography help or something, let me know, :). :lolsign:

As I am not placing the order till Monday, I figure I'll let a few more people chimp in. I was satisfied with the minimag, but wasn't sure if it would fit in the maxpedition pouch (I think this is a good choice, no?), and when I read that it was not that great and the led version is not like the original non-led version in terms of quality and reputation, I was sort of deturred and figured a post would not hurt. I'm not sure if it'd be ridiculous to expect the light to do decently say 100m away in pretty dark environments (outside with few lights around), I found my dealextreme did an okay job (can't really see a focused beam, but you can see the light on buildings and stuff from that far away.)
I guess the voltage difference will affect brightness and outut power?

Oh, ahh....thanks for the compliment, but my flashlight knowledge pales in comparison with a large portion of CPFers here. I own 6 Fenix's including a L2D CE. I've been very happy with it. I'm ordering the P3D CE on Monday.

Well...whatever performance you're getting out of your dealextreme, the L2D CE will stomp it pretty hard.

You'll notice that the P3D CE at 6.0 volts is rated at 160 lumens. The L2D CE at 3.0 volts is rated at 135 lumens. So, not a gigantic difference. The L2D CE more that holds its own. I'd be surprised if the deal extreme light was making even 100 lumens. I think that you'll be very happy with the L2D CE. :)

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more expensive lights will have better build quality, more rock solid electronics, quality control and better warranty service. Unless you are going to really BEAT the light up, the Fenix should be ok. The runtime, brightness will be about the same.

The distance [throw] is mostly a factor of reflector size and shape for a given amount of light produced. A flashlight puts out a certain amount of light, and if you focus it down to a smaller spot to get good distance, you loose spill light which lights up the surrounding area. I think a lot of people, when they are starting out with flashlights, think they need/want a lot of throw, but after they use the lights in most situations they realize that a balanced beam is better. Of course, there are certain times when a lot of throw is better, but not as often as people usually think.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
Oh, ahh....thanks for the compliment, but my flashlight knowledge pails in comparison with a large portion of CPFers here. I own 6 Fenix's including a L2D CE. I've been very happy with it. I'm ordering the P3D CE on Monday.

Well...whatever performance you're getting out of your dealextreme, the LOD CE will stomp it pretty hard.

You'll notice that the P3D CE at 6.0 volts is rated at 160 lumens. The L2D CE at 3.0 volts is rated at 135 lumens. So, not a gigantic difference. The L2D CE more that holds its own. I'd be surprised if the deal extreme light was making even 100 lumens. I think that you'll be very happy with the L2D CE. :)
P3d seems like a smaller version of the L2D, no? I'm curious if I should bother with cr123, if it' s going to be an initial investment that will be worthwhile in the long run, I'll consider it, I've learned from my other hobbies that buying junk / low level stuff to begin with is not the cheapest way to go in the long run.
PS, my only petpeeve of this light is the design, it looks a little awkward. Do you perhaps have any photos you wouldn't mind showing me of this light? The product photos / photoshopped ones in general give a horrible indication of size and physical appearence (i've found anyway, I remember 3 years ago when I got my first iPod I was crapping myself at how small it was compared to the photos.)
Thrift, you are right, I would prefer a balance. Let's be real, even in buildings / school / home, it would be very rare for me to need anything past say 50-100 feet. On the street / around the neighborhood at night, 300+ feet can be useful, but it's no big deal.
Mm, I'm so excited, a zippo black ice lighter, a spyderco cricket, a spyderco delica, and then probably this light Monday, along with some other goodies. I'm still deciding if the cricket should be serrated or not :lolsign:.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightReviews.com usually photographs all lights next to a mag 2AA [and a ruler] so you can get a good comparison view of them.

Patriot

Flashaholic
JaGWiRE said:
Two recommendations for this light... Looking good!
PS, I see guys here are spending several hundred on a light. Is there a singificant difference in this light and say one for $200-300 in the same size range, in terms of output (runtime, brightness, distance, etc?) I am guessing a lot of the lights above this price you pay for build quality and the best parts, but I'm not sure.

No, not in output for single LED lights. When you get into multi-LEDs...yes output increases substantially. As a general rule, quality starts improving as the price goes up, although in some cases you might be paying a lot more to get a little more quality. Fenix is considered a to be a real value in flashlights.

Last edited:

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
LED_Thrift said:
FlashlightReviews.com usually photographs all lights next to a mag 2AA [and a ruler] so you can get a good comparison view of them.
Yeah, I saw those photos. I am curious if it awkard in real life to handle and carry, considering I guess it can be described as a skinnny light, it starts off from the head, gets thick, then skinnies out, and gets back to regular size (sorry if I am describing this horribly, like I said, I was drinking tonight, lol.)
Patriot, in my other hobbies (like one of my previous hobbies, hi-fi gear), there was a point at which you began to pay a lot for little improvement, compared to the initial purchase of say your headphones which was a huge improvement over the generic stuff you had before.

Edit ::
Would this combo be worthwhile?
http://www.seriouslights.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=120
I'm guessing the awkward design helps contribute to the fact that you can create either flashlight if you have the base of one of them? (So you can create a l1d i you have a l2d by just swapping the bodies, you'll have the exact same light?)

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Right, it's like that with nearly everything. My other hobbies are firearms and optics. Some people will have trouble seeing the difference in a $300 binocular compared to a $1000 binocular, and even more trouble seeing the difference between $1000 and a $2000 binocular. At that level, a lot more money gets you a little bit better.

[EDIT] Yes! good thinking with the L1D body. That would be very flexible set-up

Last edited: