Spyderco Wave feature?

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
I'm ordering a Delica. I prefer the look of the stainless steel version, but the wave seems to be highly recommended, and the grip does look like it'd be more useful.
If you do not carry the knife in your pocket, is the feature worthwhile? Can it be dangerous (cut you when removing it from the pockes?) If anything, I'll carry this knife in waist band, or on my jeans probably.

oregon

Enlightened
JaGWiRE said:
I'm ordering a Delica. I prefer the look of the stainless steel version, but the wave seems to be highly recommended, and the grip does look like it'd be more useful.
If you do not carry the knife in your pocket, is the feature worthwhile? Can it be dangerous (cut you when removing it from the pockes?) If anything, I'll carry this knife in waist band, or on my jeans probably.

The waved Delica opens as you pull it. The wave hooks material it is clipped next to. I have both frn Delica and Endura waved models. I have never tried anything other than pocket pull. I would not pull it from anywhere other than my pocket because as you follow-thru with the pull the knife will be open.

My waved Endura 4 has replaced all of my other EDC knives.

oregon

Last edited:

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
oregon said:
The waved Delica opens as you pull it. The wave hooks material it is clipped next to. I have both frn Delica and Endura waved models. I have never tried anything other than pocket pull. I would not pull it from anywhere other than my pocket because as you follow-tru with the pull the knife will be open.

My waved Endura 4 has replace all of my other EDC knives.

oregon
Is it at all, dangerous.
Is it a lock-able feature. Is there a point in having it if the knife won`t be in your pockets much...
Is it illegal to own in Canada.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
vic2367 said:
i personaly dont care for the wave feature,,,
Have you used it. If so, why do you not care for it, and what disadvantages do you see in it.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wave is incredibly nice. I love my wave'd endura. It really didn't completely "click" in my head how easy it is to use until I actually got one in my hand and was able to try it out.
Highly recommended for pocket carry. If it isn't going to be used from a pocket, ever... well then don't bother with it. But if it has the potential to be worn sometimes in the pocket I think it is worth buying one.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
PhantomPhoton said:
The wave is incredibly nice. I love my wave'd endura. It really didn't completely "click" in my head how easy it is to use until I actually got one in my hand and was able to try it out.
Highly recommended for pocket carry. If it isn't going to be used from a pocket, ever... well then don't bother with it. But if it has the potential to be worn sometimes in the pocket I think it is worth buying one.
Maybe once in a while. Knives like these aren`t taken kindly to in Canada, even though I will use it as a tool only.
I think the wave has some advantages other then the wave feature though, right..
Can you lock the blade so when you remove it from your pocket so that it doesn`t use the wave feature.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Also, can this knife still be safely carried IWB? Or will the wave feature end up backfiring on you when you remove the knife (especially if you forget to hold back the blade or something). That'd be probably pretty painful.. :|.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I have a D4 wave, I love it, pocket carry 99 percent of the time. Wave feature is amazing for opening the knife fast, but after a surprisingly short time I found it is ALMOST as easy to remove from teh pocket without the wave catching as any other knife, and don't have to think about it.

I have carried it IWB several times, can be deployed waved or not from there (and I"m overweight and have issues with IWB, SO i was impressed). I have never had a problem with it catching me or cutting me. The way the wave opens sort of insures it opens just as it finishes leaving the pocke/wb whatever, so Unless you turned the blade TOWARDS your body as you deployed it, you wouldn't cut yourself.

There is no way to lock it per se, but you can easily place a finger on the spine of the blade as you draw it to insure no waved deployment. And if anyone asks, you can always say it's just a bottle opener on the back of the blade. :)

cutlerylover

Banned
I love it makes for a very fast deployment of the blade, if you think about iut, its about the fastest drwing knife...even an automatic knife needs 2 steps...take knife out of pocket, then push the button...but the wave feature is one step ahead, when yout ake the knife out fo your poekct its already open! but...if you dotn want to take it out and have it open you can just pull up instead of to the side and it comes out closed like a regular folding knife...Here are 2 vids on youitube shwoign how it works...Not my vids, I just found these in a quick search to show you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5AsBEe1y1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6lOTz1Ebs

Basically the "waved" part of the knife just hooks on your pants material as you pull it out of your pocket, if you want it to...I find the delica is the perfect size, but the endura is also nice...if you like a little bigger folders...

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drawing the wave is like drawing a fixed blade in a folder size package. If you don't ever carry in a pocket the wave will be useless. That being said, if you had the wave, you'd probably change to pocket carry. It's one of those innovations that makes you slap your forehead and say "why didn't they think of that 150 years ago?" it's so simple and useful. If you twist it right you can draw the knife without opening the blade in case you're around sheeple. Be prepared to wear out your pocket on at least a pair of pants before you get the draw just right.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Ousanas said:
I have a D4 wave, I love it, pocket carry 99 percent of the time. Wave feature is amazing for opening the knife fast, but after a surprisingly short time I found it is ALMOST as easy to remove from teh pocket without the wave catching as any other knife, and don't have to think about it.

I have carried it IWB several times, can be deployed waved or not from there (and I"m overweight and have issues with IWB, SO i was impressed). I have never had a problem with it catching me or cutting me. The way the wave opens sort of insures it opens just as it finishes leaving the pocke/wb whatever, so Unless you turned the blade TOWARDS your body as you deployed it, you wouldn't cut yourself.

There is no way to lock it per se, but you can easily place a finger on the spine of the blade as you draw it to insure no waved deployment. And if anyone asks, you can always say it's just a bottle opener on the back of the blade. :)
Neat! I wonder if it'd be adequate for when I wear shorts...
I am also overweight, just a fat, short, guy, LOL. It's neat that you can use the wave feature from IWB. Have you found this knife better to carry IWB then any other knife?
PS, I think the Delica is a decent sized knife, I have damn small hands and I don't want a humungous knife. I'm also ordering a serrated cricket (this one I think will be fine to carry and use as a money clip, it's so damn small and cute.)

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
It is decent for IWB, rides low enough that it doesn't poke me in the gut if it's more forward carry. That said I very rarely use it iwb, its almost always pocket carry. if you are going more iwb, a non waved blade will be just fine. You could get the zdp189 delica then :)

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Ousanas said:
It is decent for IWB, rides low enough that it doesn't poke me in the gut if it's more forward carry. That said I very rarely use it iwb, its almost always pocket carry. if you are going more iwb, a non waved blade will be just fine. You could get the zdp189 delica then :)
I think the waved feature will be fun though. I might carry it in my pocket sometimes depending on the shorts / pants. It can't hurt, right? I can always remove the knife slowly enough that it doesn't unlock or anything.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
oh yeah, easily, just a slight twist will move the wave out of line with the edge of the pants, no opening.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip can be reversed for tip down carry, so the Wave is taken out of the picture, so to speak, if you're worried about accidental opening, such as from an IWB carry position.

There is one thing I don't like about my Delica Wave. The edge on the Wave was not radiused. I wouldn't call it sharp, but it quickly wears down my pants pocket.

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
Ousanas said:
oh yeah, easily, just a slight twist will move the wave out of line with the edge of the pants, no opening.
Nice. If you don't clip it to your pants either, and just drop it in, it won't open, right? I am just wondering if I should be scared of it opening on me if I carry it IWB. I'm inexperience with knives and don't want to slice myself up.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Even if it's clipped to your pants (the Wave works best in jeans or other rugged pants, it will chew up dress pants quickly), you can place your fingers along the spine of the blade when you withdraw it, that will also prevent it from opening

(apparently, the Wave also works as a bottle opener as well, haven't tried this myself though....)

the Waved Delicas and Enduras are great knives, there's no real downside to the Wave

JaGWiRE

Newly Enlightened
MacTech said:
Even if it's clipped to your pants (the Wave works best in jeans or other rugged pants, it will chew up dress pants quickly), you can place your fingers along the spine of the blade when you withdraw it, that will also prevent it from opening

(apparently, the Wave also works as a bottle opener as well, haven't tried this myself though....)

the Waved Delicas and Enduras are great knives, there's no real downside to the Wave
Seems like the wave is it then! Bottle opener! Nice!