ROP HIGH doesn't work

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,
I have bought the ROP bulbs pakage and I have tryed to put them in my mag 6D with 6C zinc carbon cells (I have recived it today): ROP LOW works but the ROP HIGH doesn't.
can someone suppose any reasons?

thanks

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
Check the continuity just to make sure the bulb is not a dud.

I just got my ROP together yesterday with 6 2000mah AA Eneloops. Works nice, but no runtime tests yet. This baby gets hot!
I used an 2D-8AA holder from modamag and soldered in a jumper wire for two cells.

Andy

cdosrun

Enlightened
It will work with the AAs but you will get a much better output if you use the 'high-drain' type cells rather than normal commercial ones. With the 6D, you can just go with the 10,000 mAH D-type NIMH cells, they are capable of the high output currents.

You also said you used 6xC cells in the 6D mag, is that what you meant? I can't see how the C cells would make proper contact in there. The primary cells won't be able to deliver the current though, as suggested by Pokerstud.

Andrew

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
cdosrun said:
You also said you used 6xC cells in the 6D mag, is that what you meant? I can't see how the C cells would make proper contact in there. The primary cells won't be able to deliver the current though, as suggested by Pokerstud.

Andrew

I used 1 dummy cell (excuse me if I haven't specified it befor but I thoght that it wasn't important:) )

another short specification: I tryed the ROP bulb in my mag 6D but I want to made a 2D ROP so I will choose AA nimh 2500mah or more (I will bought them today)

I think that this thread may be stupid but I have a lot to learn especially about batteries!:laughing:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zinc carbon typically delivers fairly poor performance. It may not provide enough current to light the high output bulb. These cells are typically called 'heavy duty' or 'super heavy duty'. Yeah right :D

Alkaline manganese cells provide the next level of performance (that's where the 'alkaline' batteries come from).

Remember to upgrade your reflector to a metal reflector and change your lens to a glass one. The heat from the ROP high bulb can severely damage standard Maglite reflectors.

NiMH and NiCad provide far superior performance if you are building a ROP and especially if you want to run the high bulb. If you can get your hands on D-cell NiMH batteries, they should do well in your Mag6D. Enjoy your ROP, but be safe!! :)

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought my batteries (nimh 1.2V and 2500mah), I tryed the ROP HIGH but it doesn't work!:mad: the ROP LOW works very nice but the HIGH doesn't produce any sort of light!
I tested the continuity, every thing is OK!
how is it possible?!!?:rant:

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
how many torch-lumen is the rop LOW with FM VLOP reflector and glass lens?

and rop HIGH?

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received 3 packs of ROP lamps with the High lamps dead out of the package. Even if the battery's can't drive the lamp at it's full potential it should still light.

Mac

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, carbon Zinc sucks butt. Make sure your batteries are all oriented correctly. Use progold on all contacts and the switch... test to make sure you don't have a dead cell.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
I received 3 packs of ROP lamps with the High lamps dead out of the package. Even if the battery's can't drive the lamp at it's full potential it should still light.

Mac
maybe is the same thing that has happend to me!:xyxgun:

carbine15:
my cells are OK becouse the LOW bulb works perfectly!

thenks for your help...

Illum

Flashaholic
zinc carbons are :thumbsdow no matter what you put them in, as stated before, they can't handle high current draw...I've never owned an ROP but I've seen ZC cells die in only a few minutes when trying to draw greater than a couple ma's over the electronic's intended current.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
FILIPPO said:
how many torch-lumen is the rop LOW with FM VLOP reflector and glass lens?

and rop HIGH?

can someone help me?
I know that there are a lots of thread about ROP but I can't find this information:ohgeez: .....

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ask becouse I was thinking about another way:
6 nimh and potted WA1111 (overdriven @ 7.2V----->880 b-lumens)

:)

cdosrun

Enlightened
From a little searching, the 3854-Hi lamp takes 4.3A and turns out around 1150 b-lumens.
The low lamp in the same thread was measured at 2.2A (at 7.2v). Assuming a linear relationship between lumens and current, the 3854-Lo turns out around 588 b-lumens. Around 65% of the lumens will be coming out the front of the torch, so you are probably looking at about 382 torch lumens (roughly half that of the Hi lamp). By the same calculation the Mag85 at 10.8v turns out around 800 torch lumens.

I think it is correct, but please feel free to highlight some errors.

Andrew

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
cdosrun said:
From a little searching, the 3854-Hi lamp takes 4.3A and turns out around 1150 b-lumens.
The low lamp in the same thread was measured at 2.2A (at 7.2v). Assuming a linear relationship between lumens and current, the 3854-Lo turns out around 588 b-lumens. Around 65% of the lumens will be coming out the front of the torch, so you are probably looking at about 382 torch lumens (roughly half that of the Hi lamp). By the same calculation the Mag85 at 10.8v turns out around 800 torch lumens.

I think it is correct, but please feel free to highlight some errors.

Andrew

thanks!
please can you give me the link?
:)