DVD/CDRW LASER

chuck

Newly Enlightened
I have acquired a number of combo drives, DVD reader - CD/RW. The labels on the bottom all mention invisible *and* visible light...and one is labelled as Class IIIb.

Does anyone know if the diodes in these can be used in the same way as the ones from DVD/RW drives? And, what the output might be? I would like to build a high powered unit, and this seems to be the most economical way to do it...I don't turn up malfunctioning DVD/RW drives often, but these combo drives are common as dirt.

-- Chuck Knight

acro-ii

Newly Enlightened
won't be STRONG as a DVD burner laser, as even though it as a dvd reader, the writing laser is still cdrw.

Sorry
:awman:

Illum

Flashaholic
chuck said:
I don't turn up malfunctioning DVD/RW drives often, but these combo drives are common as dirt.

they are probably the single piece of hardware that never seems to break....sure if someone shoves cake in there it'll be ruined but....they never seem to want to give up, the CD drive and the B:/ drive too :grin2:

chuck

Newly Enlightened
Yeah...I fix computers for a living, and replace optical drives on a regular basis.

Obviously, I don't want to pay full retail for a working drive, and then take it apart. If, however, I cart one off after an upgrade/repair, then it's fair game. It's not even just the price (though free parts are always more welcome)...it's taking apart a piece of currently useful, working hardware.

I took one apart last night (laptop DVD/CDRW) and I swear I can find only 1 diode in it. It has the standard transistor casing that I've come to expect. Are there any other form factors that I should look for?

-- Chuck Knight

SenKat

Enlightened
Chuck - if it's a writer, then it has two diodes :) Look for that annoying mylar ribbon cable stuff - follow it to its' termination point. It'll be there !

chuck

Newly Enlightened
That's what I thought, but I couldn't seem to find the second diode. The first was press-fit into the side of a large machined assembly. Very obvious. The other one, however, doesn't seem to be there.

I ever tried tracing back the optical paths...it doesn't look like there's a second one. Intriguing, since it *is* labeled as a burner.

-- Chuck Knight

SenKat

Enlightened
Most of the ones I have torn apart have one on the side, and then one at about a 45 degree displacement to it...........that way, the cube beamsplitters can do their work :) It may be hidden behind the photodiode that is in there, too...

acro-ii

Newly Enlightened
But from what I'm gathering, it's a dvd reader, cdburner combo drive, not a dvd burner.