FWIW: Poll results about 416 SFclickies - 24.5% initial problem rate

How many good or bad Surefire clickie's have you encountered?

• +3 for the OK pile

Votes: 63 35.6%
  • +2 for the OK pile

Votes: 35 19.8%
  • +1 for the OK pile

Votes: 54 30.5%
  • +2 for Not OK pile - problem now or soon in work

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • +1 for Not OK pile - problem now or soon in work

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • +2 for Not OK pile - problem fixed by Surefire

Votes: 18 10.2%
  • +1 for Not OK pile - problem fixed by Surefire

Votes: 36 20.3%
  • +2 for Not OK pile - problem NOT fixed by Surefire

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • +1 for Not OK pile - problem NOT fixed by Surefire

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I tried collecting statistics about Jetbeam CLE quality once, and learned something about polling. Now, with everyone's indulgence, I thought I'd try collecting statistics on another energetic topic around here: the quality of Surefire clickie switches.

Disclaimer: The poll results do not reflect true Surefire failure rates, which only Surefire knows for sure. It reflects only the experiences CPFers here report, which is the best we can do within our little forum. Still, I hope it will be an interesting piece of information.

Concept: you bought some clicky type Surefire(s) from a dealer and had some experience regarding the switch: 1) it worked fine, 2) it had a problem which you will or are currently working with Surefire to resolve, 3) it had a problem which Surefire did resolve happily for you, or 4) it had a problem which Surefire did not satisfactorily resolve for you in (need a rule here) 3 months of trying or worse.

The statistics part is that I'm providing poll choices for the number of each experience you got: if you had 1 good light, click "add 1 to the OK pile", if you had 2 good lights, click "add 2 to the OK pile", if you got 1 problem switch which Surefire or your own heroic efforts fixed for you within 3 months of asking, click "add 1 to the "problem fixed OK pile", and so on. This poll will let you make multiple choices so you can express a wide range of experiences: combinations of choices can show: 6 good switches, 3 bad switches in work, 3 bad switches fixed, and/or so on.

Everyone seemed to understand the concept part OK in the CLE poll, so I hope it's still clear.

Rules: I learned from the CLE poll that rules are important. The purpose for rules is so we can interpret our results. My mistake with the CLE poll was that I got statistics more about what people thought about the CLE than what the light itself did. So a better poll will need more rules. So please bear with me.

Rule 1: Votes are private (anonymous). This poll is based on the honor system. You are what you do. Period.

Rule 2: This poll is only for people who received new Surefires with a factory clicky switch or new SF clicky switches from a dealer. Private party B/S/T do NOT count. This is because a good or bad light can pass through many hands and therefire bias the results. I only want one data input from each light or separate SF switch. Non-clicky switches also don't count as I don't think there are any issues reported for those.

Rule 3: Define good. I'd like good to be an objective event rather than an opinion, so: a switch is GOOD if, with at most minor initial tweaking (tightening retaining rings, cleaning contacts, oiling if you did that as prevention), it worked OK and has worked reliably to your satisfaction ever since.

Rule 4: Define problem. The clickie switch didn't work right so you had to do something heroic (i.e. take the switch apart and fix it, bend contacts, whatever) or send it back or get the factory to send you another switch. Whatever your opinion, I'd like you to consider that a bad switch.

Rule 5: Cutoff time for Surefire to fix the problem and be OK is 3 months from time they were informed or you sent light. If fixed less than 3 months, they did OK. If more, they did not do OK. This is because some are more patient than others.

And that's it. I'll check back and calculate statistics if we get enough response. Thanks for your efforts, all.

EDIT #1: If you bought a new clicky switch only from SF, then you can count that just like a whole light as we're focusing only on clicky switch performance here.

If the options here (remember you can check multiple buttons to enter as many as 6 good switches or 3 bad ones of any category or any combination thereof) don't cover your situation, it's OK to have someone else enter the additional inputs required to cover your complete situation. "Honor system" means truth about what actually happened. Proxy voting to represent a true situation is OK with me.

Edit #2:

Final Results at 178 respondants, reporting on 416 new lights or new clicky switches:

74.5% reported good switches out of the box.

3.4% reported problems which are in the process of being fixed, 3.8% reported problems which couldn't be fixed within 3 months, and 17.3% reported problems which were fixed OK within 3 months.

Total proportion of lights/switches reported with initial problems was 24.5%.

Last edited:

cslinger

Enlightened
Re: STATISTICS about Surefire clickie switches (READ instructions first!)

I have actually had exp. with four Surefire clickies and all were fine. All were Surefire E1Ls.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

New lesson learned: I need to provide a button which says "no input, I just wanted to push one of the buttons"....

Whenever I look at this, I want to push a button, and I wrote the darn post. It's very annoying...

GeorgePaul

Enlightened

I had one clicky that was flaky. Relaced immediately by dealer when I took the light back.

[EDIT]I have had 3 other good clickies though.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got an L4 with a sticky tailcap. SF replaced it and, this is my favorite part, it started working again and has been going strong for months.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Poll analysis at 38 respondants, reporting on 96 new lights:

75% had good switches.

2% had problems which are in the process of being fixed, 1% had problems which couldn't be fixed within 3 months, and 23% had problems which were fixed OK.

Total proportion of lights received with problems was 25%.

schrenz

Enlightened

Mhhh, sometimes these polls seem to be a little bit ominous, I can't explain myself, why I never had a problem with my 8 SF Clickies.

Best
Jens

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's a good spread of results. I would definately expect it weighted more towards the top end for something so expensive.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast

What does "problem now or soon in work" mean? Can you pick that and pick "problem NOT fixed by Surefire", or do you have to pick one or the other for the same light?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
why is it reserved to complete lights only?

f.e. I just bought a Z59 for my old 6P.
When I consider that ridiculus price, the feel of the switch is bad.
But would that be a "problem"?
Which one, as it works and will not get changed by anyone

PS: wow! at time to type this the results are that 1/3 of about 90 switches were defective.
Wonder what the "SF and nothing else and no critics allowed"-ppl say to this

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Art Vandelay said:
What does "problem now or soon in work" mean? Can you pick that and pick "problem NOT fixed by Surefire", or do you have to pick one or the other for the same light?
No. I'd prefer that you pick one or the other input for any single light. Problem now or soon in work means you have a problem and it is not resolved yet so you can't yet say whether it was resolved successfully yet or not. If it is resolved successfully, then you pick the "fixed OK" button. If not resolved in (my arbitrary rule) 3 months, then you picked the "not fixed" button. If you haven't sent it in yet or haven't gotten a final response yet and 3 months hasn't gone by yet, then it's the "still in work" button.

Each light should only generate one case. Multiple lights can activate multiple buttons. If you have 8 clicky SFs, 5 are good, 2 were bad but fixed, and 1 is in work, then you hit the multiple buttons of: +3 good, +2 good, +2 bad but fixed, +1 bad and in work.

Sorry it's so complicated but I don't know a simpler way to get clear results - and even this set of choices requires some compromises.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

yellow said:
why is it reserved to complete lights only?...
Good question. Answer: because I wasn't thinking (another lesson learned...)

Since we're looking at SF clicky performance, I would count a switch purchased new from Surefire to be the same as a clicky light for purposes of this poll. If you bought a switch and it was good or bad, you can enter it in the poll just like it was a whole light.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Poll analysis at 70 respondants, reporting on 175 new lights or new clicky switches:

77% reported good switches.

1.7% reported problems which are in the process of being fixed, 6.3% reported problems which couldn't be fixed within 3 months, and 15% reported problems which were fixed OK within 3 months.

Total proportion of lights/switches reported with problems was 23%.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

schrenz said:
..I never had a problem with my 8 SF Clickies...
I'm sorry I couldn't make poll options to cover all the high SF achievers. As post #13 above notes, it's OK to count a switch purchased new from a SF dealer just like a whole light.

You can enter your results into the poll for 6 of the good switches by clicking +1 good, +2 good, and +3 good, and submitting. As for the other 2, maybe you can PM someone or a friend to fill in the extra +2 good for you. Since I haven't made a vote yet, I'll offer to add the 2 extra ones for you, or anyone else (I can only do this once, of course).

As I said, this poll is on the honor system, relative to ground truth. I have no problems with arrangements for proxy votes being cast to cover cases which are outside the poll options I allowed for.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

luigi

Enlightened

I don't want to be a statistical PITA but if you ask about problems you get answers from people with problems (mostly). The ones with bad switches will want to be here to show their problems, but a good percentage of the users with good switches will not even read the thread, vote or do anything.

Anyway I hope the poll serves your purposes, I just hope you don't claim "X% of Surefire switches are deffective"

Luigi

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

luigi said:
I don't want to be a statistical PITA but if you ask about problems you get answers from people with problems (mostly). The ones with bad switches will want to be here to show their problems, but a good percentage of the users with good switches will not even read the thread, vote or do anything.

Anyway I hope the poll serves your purposes, I just hope you don't claim "X% of Surefire switches are deffective"

Luigi
Probably all true. It's just that before (in the CLE poll case), we only had anecdotal information which was even more biased toward problems (few would post to say their CLE was fine). A poll at least gives owners of good items an easy way to be heard.

In the CLE case, I got responses on something like 180 lights at a time when there were only 200 pre-sale lights plus prototypes (and many Asian owners who perhaps were not reading CPF) out there so I thought the insight provided was useful.

I don't know how many clickie SF lights and switches are out in CPF land, but having numbers on a few hundred (thousand?) would provide an interesting context for the occasional SF clicky discussions I see...

And of course, the analysis is only for how the poll responses break down, and I've changed the title accordingly. Only Surefire knows how many warranty repairs they get vs. their total sales.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Of course, SureFire fans tend to be particularly devout, therefore almost all of them will post, giving fair results.

Size15's

Flashaholic

MikeSalt said:
Of course, SureFire fans tend to be particularly devout, therefore almost all of them will post, giving fair results.
Less than 100 members responding out of a possible 25,000 supports that point of view?