Best output for the buck m*g LED upgrade?

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
If this is not the right forum for a question like this sorry.

I tried a magLED upgrade and it is much better than the light origionally was, but wonder if for just a little more money I can get alot more?

Thinking Cree or SSC from what I have read so far. Is 200+ lumens reasoably possible from a single emitter and be reliable?

I have a 3D host I was looking at doing it to, but could use anything (maybe I am better off with a completely new light and forget the M*g?). I want something with larger cells for long runtime though and REALLY want to stay with alkalines for easy of use and long term storage.

Is there a way to get both decent throw and some flood out of the ligh while I am at it.

Thanks!

Brozneo

Enlightened
A Malkoff SSC P4 drop in combined with a UCL Lens would answer ALL your problems!

But they are damn hard to get hold of!

For more info search for the Malkoff threads on here.

Nick

barkingmad

Enlightened
The (new) Terralux EX drop-in for the Mag C/D gives 140+ lumens apparently and is a 30 second upgrade - it runs on 3-6 cell Mag's apparently. Not sure yet if it is brighter with 6 cells or just more runtime - but I have a 2D mag - installed 2 3AA>1D adapters to give 6 (AA) cells and it's very bright.

Nereus

Enlightened
I suggest that you direct drive SSC P4 from the 3 D alkalines and use a hotlips D heatsink. Just remember to theck that the initial current is not too high. If it is use a resistor to limit current. Here is a good tutorial.

-N

vic2367

Enlightened
Terralux EX drop-in for the Mag C/D ,,,glass lens from lighthound,,,and add 4 c recharegable cells,,,6000mahs,,,and dont forget the charger,,:)

Brozneo

Enlightened
Where did you get the 3AA>1D adapters from?

barkingmad said:
The (new) Terralux EX drop-in for the Mag C/D gives 140+ lumens apparently and is a 30 second upgrade - it runs on 3-6 cell Mag's apparently. Not sure yet if it is brighter with 6 cells or just more runtime - but I have a 2D mag - installed 2 3AA>1D adapters to give 6 (AA) cells and it's very bright.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest a SSC-P4, Hotlips-D heatsink, Flupic-board and driven by 3xD-cells (Alky's or nimh's). This setup will give you incredible brightness at "high" and hundreds of hours on "low".

Best regards

____
Tom

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
Nereus and Essexman, thanks.

So if I were to get an SSC-P4 and put 4Cs in the 3D mag what resistor would be the best bet for a good bright output? Would it be brighter than with the 3Ds?

Also which "Bin" should I go for on the LED?

EDIT:
Found this thread and really like the looks of this light setup. Nice small package, and I do have a 2C laying around.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157723

If I just knew how the converter worked and what to do to make it function. From what I can figure using the calculator from the sandwich shoppe for the badboy, with a Vin of 3V, Vout of 3.25 (right for the SS4 from data sheet?), and a driving current of .917 I would get 8 hours runtime on two 5000mAh C NiMH bats?

So for an LED, epoxy, driver, and sink I am looking at around $65? wow gets pricey fast.

If I direct drive instead of using a convertor in a 3 or 4 cell light how do I know what resistor to use? 3 alkalines would be around 4.5V which is over the max Vin listed on the datas sheet.

Andy

Last edited:

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
After doing some reading here is my idea... comments please.

3D mag body that I already have
4 5000mAH NiMH Cs from battery junction.
917ma downboy
SSC-P4
Heatsink from one of the vendors above

How do I choose bins on the SSC LEDs? Will any of them work well.
I have PMd Icarus but have not heard back yet. I might just be able to buy one from him cheaper than I can mess with it myself, will have to wait to hear from him.

Gene43

Enlightened
You could just get one of my dropins for $75. Put it in a 3D Mag, 1000ma output to a SSC P4 (240 lumens). Runs great on 3 alkalines. Max output is for up to 6 hrs, but the drop is not really noticable until around 10 hrs. After that it will continue to run at reduced output for 2-3 days.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
I found the thread on your setup. Looks like you are a busy man.
Any more batches of them coming up for grabs soon?

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
andyr354,
I just bought a ProCharger P4 SE from Lamba Lights and very happy with it. I'm not sure of the lumens but to my unqualified eye it's output is extremely impressive and a great thrower too. It is an entire light minus the batteries and uses a single LED. It can be run off of 2 D alks or 3 C NiMH cells giving brightness/run time options. For the price and quality it's hard to beat IMO. Not sure if he is still building these regularly so I'd send him an email 1st. Upgrading your own is fun but this maybe an option to consider.
Good Luck!