Need some help finding a high current clicky

unnerv

Enlightened
I am in the process of making a mag623 tailcap and want to make it clicky. I have been having some trouble finding a suitable clicky to use. Originally I was going to use a mcclicky switch but have since found that is only good to about 6 amps. I need to find something in the 10-15 amp range.

Any suggestions?

defusion

Enlightened
I would go with a custom build or a mod if your going with insane output anyway.
Basicaly heavy gauge wire in the stock mag switch, or your own design to replace that switch entirely.

Edit: you might have better luck in the Custom & Modified area

unnerv

Enlightened
Yeah I am not using the stock switch, since I need it to fit in the tailcap.

Good suggestion about the custom mods suggestion, I'll see if I can get the thread moved.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was a tread somewhere here just about 1-2 weeks ago, about a MOSFET switch.
Any normal clicky will pull the Mosfet to almost zero resistance and this
1. any switch could be used
2. less current lost, as any "normal" switch has resistance in it (somehow the very small draw of the Mosfet in closed state was also considered)
Would only need a very basic and small circuit.

Sorry, didnt remember the tread name

unnerv

Enlightened
yellow :
I found a couple of threads on mosfet switches, but not having an electronics background don't know what it means.

sway:
I'll shoot cmacclel a pm and see what switch he is using.

If anyone else has suggestions, they are more than welcome.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i did a MOSFET for MORANS thing here .
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84242
complete with purdy pictures, so i could understand it.

some of the mods that use a 2pos switch have used a .5amp switch to run 1Amp through it, if your switch is good for a FULL 6amps, it might work up to 12 before it melts and smokes :) just depends on what the VOLTAGE that switch is rated for also.
because when you try and disconnect/connect high voltages they have a tendancy to arc and make an arc welder and all. if it was lower voltage than spec you might get by with a lesser switch. like say a 6Amp 120VAC switch might work easy to 10amps with 12v dc.

and should i mention that an added electrolytic cap of the right voltage, will stop any OFF arcing too, adding life to the switch component, without taking much space or efforts. like they used to do with "points" on a car. (which also had backlash from the coil) the energy that would snap between the switch, will insted charge the capacitor.

Last edited:

unnerv

Enlightened
Thanks all. Mac sent me a PM and uses the same switch as DonShock. I'll have to order a couple of those. If I get brave, I'll try vidpro's mosfet solution.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
unnerv said:
Thanks all. Mac sent me a PM and uses the same switch as DonShock......
WOW, that's news to me. He sure does a whole lot better job at installing them than I do. I just drill a hole and slap them in. His have a nice big button and are recessed in the tailcap. I never would have suspected he started with the same switch.