I made my own car alarm blinking light!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to install a car alarm but since I got no money I ordered a "flashing / blinking" light on eBay. When it came I found out that it doesn't actually flash or blink unless it's plugged into a car alarm. Nothing in the auction indicated this, quite the contrary. I've opened a PayPal dispute asking for my $3.94 back.
Link

Next I found another seller selling a blinking light that hooks up with three wires and has a flashing module. It worked for about a day and burned the LED out. I tested the leads and they read 12 volts!. 12 volts from a car will most likely fry any led. Some flasher. I tried to work with the flasher module but it had a built in resistor that sometimes flashed 4 volts and sometimes 12. No way to hook that up. I'm still working with the seller on this one.. but I may have to open another dispute soon.
Link

Finally I decided to keep it as simple as possible. I just wanted a light that blinks while I'm not driving. I bought some flashing LED's and some resistors and wired them to my 12+ and 12+acc and I have to say it works perfectly. Unfortunately I had to buy 10 of them so now I have 9 too many. I've already wired them for car alarms. I love how they look too. I got the RGB flashing LED's and they are bright and pretty.

Just thought I'd share.
Humbly submitted for your approval.
http://media.putfile.com/RGB-flashing-car-alarm-lightLink to video
RGB-flashing-car-alarm-light

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
riffraff said:
Huh. I have a pair of those in my car's headlights.

http://home.earthlink.net/~riffraff9000/riffraff/gt01.jpg (Can't see them in this daylight pic, of course)

I couldn't see them. Do they light up the reflector when the car is parked? What color?

Also, I might be getting old, but I thought car alarms were universally red LEDs. Isn't red supposed to indicate 'caution'? Would a potential thief know that an LED of another color is a car alarm indicator?

My car has a flashing LED, but I never activate the alarm. (Can't find the remote). Maybe that's enough of a deterrent. I don't know why all cars don't come with a flashing LED, even if there isn't an alarm installed. That would probably help deter a few crimes.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
Also, I might be getting old, but I thought car alarms were universally red LEDs. Isn't red supposed to indicate 'caution'? Would a potential thief know that an LED of another color is a car alarm indicator?

My car has a flashing LED, but I never activate the alarm. (Can't find the remote). Maybe that's enough of a deterrent. I don't know why all cars don't come with a flashing LED, even if there isn't an alarm installed. That would probably help deter a few crimes.
Yes you're getting old. :grin2: Cars do come with blinking LED lights (usually in the stereo deck) The thieves know what to look for and they know what models have blinking lights w/o alarms (usually from experience rather than research). Having an alarm is not much of a deterent but at least it's something. Now a silent pager alarm.. that would slow down break ins. When armed response is 30 seconds away in the form of an angry car owner we'll see break ins drop drastically.

My car got broken into twice before I got my alarm. The alarm never went off but the break in's stopped immediately. I could have saved hundreds in broken auto glass alone. Since then I've always wanted an easy way to install a blinking light in my vehicles. I have extras if anyone's interested PM me and I'll send you one.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
No thanks, I'm good now. I didn't want to have to ever change the batteries, and I didn't want it blinking at me while I drive. I got ten for $15 btw so your solution is more expensive plus you have to change batteries andmine came with these cool metal holders.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
My girlfriend enjoyed my enthusiasm but thought my idea was lame. She was out today with her mother shopping garage sales and someone smashed her window and took her purse. I lost my digital camera. I hope the insurance company covers some of the loss. I know auto glass isn't cheap. I can't help but wonder if this blinking light might have deterred the thieves.

She was in the small town of Orting and her car was locked. Someone noticed a suspicious Subaru parked next to her car and came to look later and found the window broken. They even got a partial license number and left a note on her windshield but the police there say they can't do anything unless the witness actually saw the crime happen.

Reminds me of the cop asking "did you see the bullet leave the gun and strike the victim?" "no? then we don't have a case". Anyway I've got a few of these kits left. As soon as I can, I'll be installing one in her car.

Cops in Orting WA are worthless historians. They record crime and eat donuts.