laser from laser printer [pics added]

Illum

Flashaholic
its not a cylindrical emitter. its...hard to describe

class IIIb laser product...not sure if its moddable. the warning sign says "invisible radiation" so Im assuming its not a visible laser.

pics....the "driver circuit" seems a bit simple....but what do I know:ohgeez:

5 wires comes in
green [DATA]
yellow [GND]
orange [5V]
red [LDON]
brown [BD]

the output into the laser has 4 bonded wires marked as "JW3" on the driver circuit to "JW2" on the laser module

Applied 5VDC to it....no visible color....:ohgeez:

can these types of laser emitters be modded into pointers?

Last edited:

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
Re: laser from laser printer

If it's 808nm, you could pump it through some crystals to make it a green laser, but at this output level, you'll probably end up with a haze, if any, green.

--DDL

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: laser from laser printer

lasers in the shed along with other disassemblies...
its pouring rain outside at the moment.....:ohgeez:

EDIT: pics added

Last edited:

SenKat

Enlightened
NICE pics ! It does look like a 5.6mm or maybe a 9mm inserted into that huge metalic heatsink. It is most likely 980nm - further into the IR than the 808, and much more difficult to work with. The only practical use would be for experimentation, and as an IR source for an enclosed project box of some sort. Which model Laser Printer did this come from ? That MAY help to identify the exact output power. All of the Diodes from Laser Printers that I have seen have been in the 980nm range (Or is it 908? I forget !!!) darnit....I was pretty sure of the wavelength - then I saw I typed it differently both times, so I confused myself ! RATS ! Dang I hate that :(

Well, hope this makes it clear as mud for you ! :grin2: Oh, at any rate, you will not get any green outta these, no matter how hard you try - with whatever combination of crystals - man made or natural ones !

Kenom

Enlightened
You can send it to me and I will put it into a module and turn it into an invisible laser used for ????

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
Please be careful with that laser. As a class IIIB (5mW--500mW) probably IR laser, it is potentially rather dangerous.

SenKat

Enlightened
It would definitely be a good beacon of sorts...especially if left uncollimated - you are talking FLOOD city ! BRIGHT to night vision ! I think it could draw too many night time visitors your way, though...like, any critter that sees into the infra red spectrum - whether it be 8, 6, or 2 legged variety !

Illum

Flashaholic
there was a "slotted" plastic shroud that comes over the emitter ring...I am assuming it was an aperture...but it was easily torn as I was trying to extract the die:ohgeez: