• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

O-rings

Groundhog66

Banned
I have an assortment of lights, I would like to get a nice supply of O-riings for them. I have McLuxIII, PD-S (Ti & HA Alum), XR19-C, 27LT-S. Can anyone help me cover my bases for all sizes needed, thanks.

Tim

easilyled

Flashaholic
Have you checked the sticky threads in the McGizmo forum?

eg. "McGizmo products overview" etc.

I think that information can be found in them, although it may take
a little bit of tracking down.

Bernie (Kiessling) has compiled very useful & comprehensive notes
& great pictures to illustrate the outer and inner parts of all of
Don's lights.

Groundhog66

Banned
easilyled said:
Have you checked the sticky threads in the McGizmo forum?

eg. "McGizmo products overview" etc.

I think that information can be found in them, although it may take
a little bit of tracking down.

Bernie (Kiessling) has compiled very useful & comprehensive notes
& great pictures to illustrate the outer and inner parts of all of
Don's lights.

Yes, I checked that out. But I could not locate the specs for most of the lights. Thank you for the response.

Tim

Peter Atwood

Enlightened
Speaking of O Rings...what size does he use between the lens and the head in the 27LT-S? I picked up a bezel from James and it resulted in a slightly loose lens. I couldn't find an exact fit from any at the hardware store...so I settled for one that is too fat but at least the lens doesn't rattle. It's not right though and I'd like to get it perfect. Any ideas? I'm thinking I may have to spring for the O-Ring assortment from MSC...

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Save ya'll a link click, heres post #27 linked above....

McGizmo said:
Hi guys,

I will be repeating some info here.

On the XR19-C

O-rings:
XR-19 Head:
Window seal - #019 EPDM (or the GID silicone)
Head to pak seal - #017 Silicone (red)

C pak:
Boot Seal O-ring - #016 Silicone (red)
Boot & Seal Retaining O-ring - #113 EPDM

XR27 & S27 Head:

Window Seal O-ring - 2 x 22 mm Buna (Nitrile)
Window retaining O-ring - #025 EPDM
Head to pak Seal - #017 Silicone (red)

27LT & 27LT-S head:

Window Seal - #023 EPDM
2x head to Pak seal - #017 Silicone

PD Piston:
Piston to sleeve seal - #015 Silicone (use #016 for added protection but stiffer activation)

PD head:

Window Seal O-ring - #019 EPDM
Head to sleeve seal O-ring - #017 Silicone

Now as far as lubes go, there are incompatabilities galore. :(
Silicone seems to work with most synthetics and most silicone greases. Petroleum based lubes can be a problem.
EPDM is good with all silicone greases and most synthetics that I am aware of. YMMV

If you get an O-ring from the hardware store, it is most likely Buna or Nitrile. I don't like to use this material but had to for size in the seal for the 27XR and 27S heads. It is OK as a seal and should it crack, you will see this. I couldn't find the metric O-ring in silicone or EPDM which I would have preferred. Buna (Nitrile) is subject to O-zone degradation, big time! If the material is kept lubed then you are OK. I have seen these in static, dry applications where they have failed. I encountered one in the guts of a SF a few years back that was in 4 pieces! :green:

chellyc

Enlightened
Peter,

I think you would need a slightly thicker than standard size for the 27LT-S. There's a microscopic difference in the light's physical spec that sometimes results in a loose fit for James' bezel rings (which were designed/created for the 27LT). Good luck in finding the answer though... I have the same combo and have asked this o-ring question before... Perhaps no one really knows?

Chelly

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys.Thanks for digging that info up. I recalled that I had posted it somewhere but that was as far as my memory went. If you have a situation where a "dash" size O-ring of 1/16" is a bit too thin, you may find a metric, 2 mm thick O-ring that can fix the problem. That is what I ran into with the Ti 27 heads.

Groundhog66

Banned
Why can't I find silicone in all the sizes, are they just not available? What is the next best option, I was shopping at the SS

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tim,

I know that Wayne and Cindy have attempted to provide a service by stocking some of the common O-rings but it would be insane to try to handle all and in all flavors.

In quantity, the source I use is Air-Oil and they have the full range of O-rings in silicone.