ArmyTek        

Thread: VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI)

Default VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI)

I just received my VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) from Waion.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=159622

Shipping took 5 days.

Sorry they are all sold out. I am glad I was able to purchase one.

I really like this light! By far the best VB-16 (4th generation)

Fit and finish is excellent.

Type III Hard Anodize is excellent.

From Waion's thread.

Specifications

A.) LED: Seoul SSC P4 USWO1
    B.) Input voltage: 3.7V – 8.4V (do not exceed that upper limit or the light will be damaged immediately)
    C.) Output: Variable from 0.3 - 3W, controled by the unique 2-button design
    D.) Battery: CR123A x 2, 16340 x 2, 17670 x 1 or 2, 18650 x 1 or 2 (AW's protected li-ion rechargeables fit)
    E.) Finish: HAIII black
    F.) Reflector: Precise 31mm CNC-machined metal reflectors (LOP)
    G.) Lens: Coated mineral glass lens of very high degree of transparency
    H.) Switches: Standard tail clicky switch, two-buttom system, mode switching button
    I.) Modes: Constant on - flashing - SOS - repeat. Yes, the brightness output is variable in all these three modes!
    J.) Memory function: Everytime you turn on you light, you will get the lastly used output level (in constant on mode)
    K.) Water proof: Double o-ring

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This button controls strobe and SOS.

SSC P4 USWOI

Normal clickie. Momentary on off, full on off. Soft action does not take much effort to turn to on and off.

Ordered optional battery tube. Came with 4 o-rings, lube and a lanyard.

Fits AW's Protected 18650 with no problems.

Left to right, VB-16 (4th Generation SSC P4 USWOI), VB-16 (3rd Generation U Bin), VB-16 (2nd Generation, T Bin)

Size comparison. Left, VB-16 (Battery Extender Installed). Right, Maglite 2D

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector)

VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) @ 83"

Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83"

VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83"

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

Last edited by ernsanada; 05-12-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Default Re: VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI)

Great review as always, thanks.

Ernie, thanks for the nice review. Great photos, as always.

Looks like a nice light, with good output. I really like the idea of having the SOS/strobe controlled by a separate button.

Kinda sorry I missed out on this one (but my budget isn't!).

very nice!!!
    I should have bought more than 1
    For sale- Nyogel 760G, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=162148
    For sale- Light diffuse film, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=162161
    For sale- Glass,lens & reflector cleaning cloths, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=162162
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later

Very very nice, just what I have bean waiting fore, some more details of this wonderlight , thanks...Can't wait till mine arrives...
    Eagletac G25C2 MKII | Nitecore SRT3 | Nitecore SRT7 | Nitecore TM26 | SkyRay King |

All beam shots taken with fully charged Protected 18650 Batteries.

The VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) at highest setting.

My VB-16 USW0I showed up a little warmer.

VB-16 on the left, Lumapower M1 w/OP reflector on the right (both new primaries)

VB-16 on the left, Lumapower M1 w/OP reflector on the right (both new primaries) UNDEREXPOSED two stops

Flashaholic*

Thanks guys these pics will get me through the next couple of days until I get mine.

I can't tell you how bad I needed that fix.

DON

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Ultrafire 502B CE

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Ultrafire 502B CE @ 83"

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Ultrafire 502B CE @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

Thanks for the review and pics!

Do you have any longer range beamshots comparing the M1 vs the VB 16? say 30-50ft?

Thanks!
    AlexGT

Looks great! I'm anxious to receive the one I ordered.
    "God saw that the light was good" Genesis 1:4

Anyone have runtimes yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gointothelight
    Anyone have runtimes yet?
    Wait for WHC. He should ge this light soon. Check the reviews, he always does run times.

Just finished testing outside and it's all I had hoped it would be. Perfect balance of spill and throw. With RCR123As out throws my Wolf Eyes 130 L D26 Cree (SF 6P) and matches throw of my Surefire G2 w/DealExtreme Cree LA. Much wider and brighter spill than either & warmer tint shows colors better.

Beautifully finished as well. Suddenly I have too many lights (to justify) thanks to the versatility of this one...

I like it very much. Especially the two-buttom adjusted output system.

I picked mine up from the post office today, so I think I'll add my mini-review to this thread instead of starting a new one.

Fit and finish are really nice. The tail clickie feels good (less mushy than the previous version of VB-16), but only tailstands if the light is turned on. It is slightly long with the extender tube, but it's not too bad. It works really well in the holster that came with the previous version, since it's an open-bottom design.

The beam has really smooth transitions from hotspot to corona and flood. It's quite nice.

I'm kind of disappointed that they stuck with a linear system for changing output instead of switching to logarithmic. As it is, the jump from level 1 to 2 seems enormous, and the highest 14 or so levels look about the same.

I had a chance to compare the VB-16 to my Gladius tonight. I found that they have about the same throw, but the Gladius has a much more defined hotspot compared to the VB-16's soft, creamy beam. Illuminating treetops from a short distance away, the beams from the two lights looked pretty much the same, since the VB-16's smooth transition is pretty much lost when not whitewalling. The VB-16 actually goes down about as far as the Gladius can - the beams looked very similar, even on a white wall. As far as flooding, I think the SF FM64 could fit on the VB-16, but would be kind of loose.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I was surprised at how closely it compared to the Gladius. I think the main differences would be size, runtime, and possibly Beamshaper compatibility. And, don't forget price and availability - the VB-16 costs significantly less, but isn't in full production like the Gladius.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention that I unscrewed the bezel to look around, and while I was checking out the reflector and emitter, I noticed that the O-ring that keeps moisture out of that area was broken - about a quarter of the O-ring was just not there. I "fixed" it by smearing the O-ring-less area with Elmer's, then screwing the bezel back on. Since I can't remember ever dropping a light into water, it should be more than enough.

TigerhawkT3,

Great Review!

Flashaholic*

ernsanada-

Is there anyway you could post beam shots with the three revisions of the VB-16s you have?

rob

I've only had this light for two days, and I've already dreamed about it. Amazing.

I used it in combination with my Gladius to light up a large cockroach that I was trying to swat (in the dream, that is).

This light is really quite nice. The knurling feels great - very rough and grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerhawkT3
    I've only had this light for two days, and I've already dreamed about it. Amazing.

I used it in combination with my Gladius to light up a large cockroach that I was trying to swat (in the dream, that is).

This light is really quite nice. The knurling feels great - very rough and grippy.
    You are a true flashaholic ...

Man I hope I will get mine soon, turns out the posting service here in Denmark has bean on strike for a couple of days, first today they started to deliver mail again, man this flashlight just sounds so awesome, gets more and more inpatient about getting it the more I read about you guys getting yours and liking it very much.

Am also very exited about a other slightly different version I bought together with this, body should be one complete piece (you can't unscrew the head or regulation from the body) and the LED a different bin, else everything is the same...
    Eagletac G25C2 MKII | Nitecore SRT3 | Nitecore SRT7 | Nitecore TM26 | SkyRay King |

All VB-16's using Protected 18650 Batteries.

2nd Generation VB-16 @ 78"

3rd Generation VB-16 OP @ 78"

4th Generation VB-16 @ 78"

2nd Generation VB-16 @ 78" Stepped down exposure.

3rd Generation VB-16 OP @ 78" Stepped down exposure.

4th Generation VB-16 @ 78" Stepped down exposure.

Left to right, 2nd Generation VB-16, 3rd Generation VB-16 OP, 4th Generation VB-16 @ 78"

Left to right, 2nd Generation VB-16, 3rd Generation VB-16 OP, 4th Generation VB-16 @ 78" Stepped down exposure.

The 2nd Generation VB-16 had an optional flood head or OP head. I like using the OP head.