VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI)

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) from Waion.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159622

Shipping took 5 days.

Sorry they are all sold out. I am glad I was able to purchase one.

I really like this light! By far the best VB-16 (4th generation)

Fit and finish is excellent.

Type III Hard Anodize is excellent.

From Waion's thread.

Specifications

A.) LED: Seoul SSC P4 USWO1
B.) Input voltage: 3.7V – 8.4V (do not exceed that upper limit or the light will be damaged immediately)
C.) Output: Variable from 0.3 - 3W, controled by the unique 2-button design
D.) Battery: CR123A x 2, 16340 x 2, 17670 x 1 or 2, 18650 x 1 or 2 (AW's protected li-ion rechargeables fit)
E.) Finish: HAIII black
F.) Reflector: Precise 31mm CNC-machined metal reflectors (LOP)
G.) Lens: Coated mineral glass lens of very high degree of transparency
H.) Switches: Standard tail clicky switch, two-buttom system, mode switching button
I.) Modes: Constant on - flashing - SOS - repeat. Yes, the brightness output is variable in all these three modes!
J.) Memory function: Everytime you turn on you light, you will get the lastly used output level (in constant on mode)
K.) Water proof: Double o-ring

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

vb16004smalljm4.jpg

vb16001smallca9.jpg

vb16003smallxn0.jpg

vb16005smallif1.jpg

This button controls strobe and SOS.

vb16006smallue7.jpg

SSC P4 USWOI

vb16007smalloi4.jpg

Normal clickie. Momentary on off, full on off. Soft action does not take much effort to turn to on and off.

vb16008smallzs4.jpg

Ordered optional battery tube. Came with 4 o-rings, lube and a lanyard.

vb16002smallnm1.jpg

vb16011smallrs5.jpg

vb16012smallis2.jpg

Fits AW's Protected 18650 with no problems.

vb16013smallir5.jpg

Left to right, VB-16 (4th Generation SSC P4 USWOI), VB-16 (3rd Generation U Bin), VB-16 (2nd Generation, T Bin)

vb16010smallro9.jpg

Size comparison. Left, VB-16 (Battery Extender Installed). Right, Maglite 2D

vb16014smallgl7.jpg

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector)

vb16015smalldk4.jpg

VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) @ 83"

vb16016smallsi9.jpg

Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83"

vb16018smallhw2.jpg

VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

vb16017smallij4.jpg

Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

vb16019smallvx5.jpg

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83"

vb16020smallcw1.jpg

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Lumapower M1 (Cree OP Refector) @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

vb16021smallju5.jpg

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ernie, thanks for the nice review. Great photos, as always.

Looks like a nice light, with good output. I really like the idea of having the SOS/strobe controlled by a separate button.

Kinda sorry I missed out on this one (but my budget isn't!).

whc

Enlightened
Very very nice, just what I have bean waiting fore, some more details of this wonderlight :), thanks...Can't wait till mine arrives...

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
All beam shots taken with fully charged Protected 18650 Batteries.

The VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI) at highest setting.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
My VB-16 USW0I showed up a little warmer.

VB-16 on the left, Lumapower M1 w/OP reflector on the right (both new primaries)
IMG_1685.jpg

VB-16 on the left, Lumapower M1 w/OP reflector on the right (both new primaries) UNDEREXPOSED two stops
IMG_1686.jpg

big beam

Enlightened
Thanks guys these pics will get me through the next couple of days until I get mine.

I can't tell you how bad I needed that fix.

DON

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Ultrafire 502B CE

vb16024smalloq2.jpg

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Ultrafire 502B CE @ 83"

vb16026smallsy8.jpg

Left, VB-16 (SSC P4 USWOI). Right, Ultrafire 502B CE @ 83" Stepped down exposure.

vb16027smalljb7.jpg

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pics!

Do you have any longer range beamshots comparing the M1 vs the VB 16? say 30-50ft?

Thanks!
AlexGT

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gointothelight said:
Anyone have runtimes yet?

Wait for WHC. He should ge this light soon. Check the reviews, he always does run times.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished testing outside and it's all I had hoped it would be. Perfect balance of spill and throw. With RCR123As out throws my Wolf Eyes 130 L D26 Cree (SF 6P) and matches throw of my Surefire G2 w/DealExtreme Cree LA. Much wider and brighter spill than either & warmer tint shows colors better.

Beautifully finished as well. Suddenly I have too many lights (to justify) thanks to the versatility of this one...

YWK

Newly Enlightened
I like it very much. Especially the two-buttom adjusted output system.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked mine up from the post office today, so I think I'll add my mini-review to this thread instead of starting a new one.

Fit and finish are really nice. The tail clickie feels good (less mushy than the previous version of VB-16), but only tailstands if the light is turned on. It is slightly long with the extender tube, but it's not too bad. It works really well in the holster that came with the previous version, since it's an open-bottom design.

The beam has really smooth transitions from hotspot to corona and flood. It's quite nice.

I'm kind of disappointed that they stuck with a linear system for changing output instead of switching to logarithmic. As it is, the jump from level 1 to 2 seems enormous, and the highest 14 or so levels look about the same.

I had a chance to compare the VB-16 to my Gladius tonight. I found that they have about the same throw, but the Gladius has a much more defined hotspot compared to the VB-16's soft, creamy beam. Illuminating treetops from a short distance away, the beams from the two lights looked pretty much the same, since the VB-16's smooth transition is pretty much lost when not whitewalling. The VB-16 actually goes down about as far as the Gladius can - the beams looked very similar, even on a white wall. As far as flooding, I think the SF FM64 could fit on the VB-16, but would be kind of loose.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I was surprised at how closely it compared to the Gladius. I think the main differences would be size, runtime, and possibly Beamshaper compatibility. And, don't forget price and availability - the VB-16 costs significantly less, but isn't in full production like the Gladius.

EDIT: Totally forgot to mention that I unscrewed the bezel to look around, and while I was checking out the reflector and emitter, I noticed that the O-ring that keeps moisture out of that area was broken - about a quarter of the O-ring was just not there. I "fixed" it by smearing the O-ring-less area with Elmer's, then screwing the bezel back on. Since I can't remember ever dropping a light into water, it should be more than enough.

Last edited:

fleegs

Enlightened
ernsanada-

Is there anyway you could post beam shots with the three revisions of the VB-16s you have?

rob

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had this light for two days, and I've already dreamed about it. Amazing.

I used it in combination with my Gladius to light up a large cockroach that I was trying to swat (in the dream, that is).

This light is really quite nice. The knurling feels great - very rough and grippy.