loose threads

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
I've bought a few lights from Kai and they have a pretty bad flicker, which was fixed by a bit of soldering the leads, BUT the threads are very loose and i just use some aluminium foil to help the contact. this is ok but when i change batteries it just falls out and have to do it again.

Is there an easier way to get threads to contact better??
thanks
Robert

dom

Enlightened
Hi Robert -
Do you need the threads to make an electrical connection?
If that's the case you could maybe use some Araldite to stick the foil on then assemble the light before it dries. Maybe put one turn of teflon tape on the mating thread to stop any runoff sticking.
Cheers
Dom

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
There are products for repairing threads. You can normally find these products at auto part stores. Here in Canada, I've seen them at the automotive section of a store called Canadian Tire.
I've never actually used or purchased a thread repair kit but I did read the packaging once while shopping. They work like this, you fill the damaged threaded hole with the thread building compound, then you coat a screw with the provided release agent, you screw the screw or bolt into the hole, wait for it to cure and then you can remove the screw and there will be threads left behind in the hole. I think this kind of product might work for rebuilding the threads on a flashlight but I can't guaranty that it will.

http://www.accessconnect.com/loctite_threadlocker_.htm
The first product on this page is the stuff I'm talking about. You might even find it at walmart.

If you screw up your light or glue it together permanently, I assume no responsibility.