HDS Systems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Night vision system "SuperVision"

Default Digital Night vision system "SuperVision"

Hey guys,

Found this site out after seeing an ad in an outdoor magazine.

http://www.xenonics.com/default.asp

Click on the video comparason of the PVS-14 vs. the Supervision, very interesting stuff.

I'm very surprised at the $1400 price tag as well.

If anyone has this unit, I would like to hear about how it really compares with 3rd generation, but the video is tantalizing I must admit.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Digital Night vision system "SuperVision"

That video is very impressive. But I am concerned with the reliability and durability of that unit. Good find though and its something to consider, i wish someone here hadthis unit and could tell us a little about it.
    SF: E1E Winelight, E2E Winelight, E1L, E2L, KL3, 6P, U2, L1,L4, L5, L6, M3T-CB, KL2, Kroma
    Inova X5, HF HID
    Lasers: Leadlight 5mw APC, Leadlight 40MW, Optotronics RPL-260 260MW+
    "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light" Im just doing my part......

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Invader_ZIM
    Hey guys,

Found this site out after seeing an ad in an outdoor magazine.

http://www.xenonics.com/default.asp

Click on the video comparason of the PVS-14 vs. the Supervision, very interesting stuff.

I'm very surprised at the $1400 price tag as well.

If anyone has this unit, I would like to hear about how it really compares with 3rd generation, but the video is tantalizing I must admit.

Where do you see the $1400 price tag? I think it's about time someone used some DSP to do a little image processing for night vision. It seems "too good to be true"....

This would be a fun toy to have. Wonder when they'll be available to the general public.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by BVH
    This would be a fun toy to have. Wonder when they'll be available to the general public.
    I'd be the first in line to buy one

Thread from late last year http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=146703

Later
    Kelly
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

Well, the price tag was listed in Bowhunter magazine as 1,399 dollars. I saw it in other hunting magazines for the same price.

Price is also quoted at the company website here:

http://www.xenonics.com/supervision.asp

As far as it's reliability, there's a FAQ on the website I listed that says it's a solid state CCD system that doesn't use tube technology, and it is a passive system that doesn't require active illumination but can use it if necessary.

It also has a manual gain control which they said changes the amount of time the CCD sensor is exposed to the scene to bring out detail depending on the lighting conditions.

It's also available now going from the magazine ads and the website. I've E-mailed Xenonics and they sent me info on the system. Couldn't hurt to ask them questions directly to see how they respond as well.

Anyways, I find it very interesting stuff, and thought you guys would be interested as I am.
    Last edited by Invader_ZIM; 05-13-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Flashaholic

So, lets contact them, say we got some people interested, see if we could get a bulk discount. Maybe a group buy? This thing looks very impressive. If enough people were interested and this company knows how much CPF can influence potential buyer it might be beneficial for them to do a one time group buy discount for cpf'ers. Just an idea. Let me know if you guys are in
    SF: E1E Winelight, E2E Winelight, E1L, E2L, KL3, 6P, U2, L1,L4, L5, L6, M3T-CB, KL2, Kroma
    Inova X5, HF HID
    "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light" Im just doing my part......

I'm interested in a GB - not 100% committed but wouldn't take much to kick me off the fence with some kind of discount.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starburst, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nc987
    So, lets contact them, say we got some people interested, see if we could get a bulk discount. Maybe a group buy? This thing looks very impressive. If enough people were interested and this company knows how much CPF can influence potential buyer it might be beneficial for them to do a one time group buy discount for cpf'ers. Just an idea. Let me know if you guys are in
    I'm in.

Flashaholic

What do you guys think is the minimum amount of people we need before we approach them?

Also, im noticing they do not sell them from their site yet as this is a fairly new unit. Some research shows that the military has ordered this unit already and if its good enough for them to use in Iraw I would imagine its up to our CPF standards. They also sell some HID lights a flashlight that has a CREE in it and looks pretty badass while posting a 5 hour runtime, 85 lumens too.

Anyways, if anyone else is interested in apotential group buy, im going to make a thread in the group buy section also. Let me know
    Last edited by nc987; 05-14-2007 at 01:49 AM.
    Inova X5, HF HID

Count me in as part of a group buy discount.

Flashaholic

Here is the link to the group buy section of the forums.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=164940
    Inova X5, HF HID

A friend at work showed me his new Outdoor Life magazine, and it has an ad for the SuperVision night vision. The interesting thing about the ad is if you purchase the SuperVision they are offereing a Lifetime membership into the NRA. (They claim this is a $1,000 value in the ad.)

Found this ad online to support the advertisement.

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nach...el-7626654.asp

Alan Magerman, Chairman of Xenonics Holdings, added, "This spring we plan to launch a national advertising campaign in NRA member magazines offering a free NRA Life Membership valued at $1,000 with every purchase of a SuperVision device. We are excited by the potential of this program, which is only one example of the many opportunities created by our NRA license to build sales of SuperVision."
    Last edited by Invader_ZIM; 05-15-2007 at 09:43 AM.

I would really like to see an independent real use review of this unit from someone that has some experience with Gen 1, 2 and 3 night vision equipment other than the manufactures claim and photos. Xeonics has been around for awhile mainly producing portable Short Arc lights for sale to the government and some filter out to us the public sector

Their web site hasnít changed much in the past few years that I have been looking at it and you can find as much information about investing in the company as their product, again

If itís as good as current Gen 3 night vision equipment at 1/3 the price where are the reviews?

Later
    Kelly
    Lucas Jackson, "Here, Captain"
    Maliciously destroying municipal property while under the influence, What was that?
    "Cutting the heads off parking meters, Captain."

i'm already an NRA life member, think they'll take the thousand off the price for me? $499, in for one.

lol, I was thinking the same thing senecaripple, I'd forego the NRA membership for a bigger discount on the unit itself if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Invader_ZIM
    lol, I was thinking the same thing senecaripple, I'd forego the NRA membership for a bigger discount on the unit itself if possible.
    if that doesnt work, i'll the membership to one of my nephews, or to some liberal like hillarythecarpetbagger, or borat osama.

hey guys, you may want to look on the yahoo board as there are a few posters that have actually bought a unit, and its a game changer....its just like the video.......

and whats even better is that management is talking to several companies to license the technology for a military version....could be ITT... goodluck with it...

you may want to check out KALTRON OUTDOORS website

Quote Originally Posted by Sway
    I would really like to see an independent real use review of this unit from someone that has some experience with Gen 1, 2 and 3 night vision equipment other than the manufactures claim and photos. Xeonics has been around for awhile mainly producing portable Short Arc lights for sale to the government and some filter out to us the public sector

Their web site hasnít changed much in the past few years that I have been looking at it and you can find as much information about investing in the company as their product, again

If itís as good as current Gen 3 night vision equipment at 1/3 the price where are the reviews?

Later
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by sircumstemalot
    hey guys, you may want to look on the yahoo board as there are a few posters that have actually bought a unit, and its a game changer....its just like the video.......

and whats even better is that management is talking to several companies to license the technology for a military version....could be ITT... goodluck with it...
    Welcome sircumstemalot to CPF. Could you please post a link to the posters that have actually bought a unit, as I'm having difficulty finding them.

Thanks!

one fellow i know is KOBUMIKE on the yahoo board

http://search.messages.yahoo.com/sea...thor&within=tm

goodluck and please post any reviews you may find...

since its been a couple weeks since the last post, im wondering if a group buy is on hold until a review is linked in this thread, so we know if it really lives up to its claims?
    just wondering because i would probably be interested too, if it got good writeups.
    thanks
    gg

The thread got quiet as we wait for new info. I think we're all on the fence now wanting to see a detailed independent review. Nothing new on the night vision forums, but in time we should have answers. I don't mind waiting.

I am watching the Supervision development closely. It generally appears to be an evolution of the NiteMax device. I do not think it can be directly compared to Gen 3, or Gen 4 night vision technology.

Gen 3 Ommni V intensifier tubes generate 64 lines per millimeter of resolution passively. Generation 4 tubes are up to 72 LP\MM of resolution. Supervision appears to more of an "active" system, in that it would have to use An IR light source in the absence of ambient light. This is because it uses a sensitive CCD. This is not to say that Gen 3, or Gen 4 devices do not include IR illuminators. When you turn it on, you light up like a christmas tree to others with NVGs.

This is fine, as long as the user does not require stealth. The IR light source would be highly visible with passive night vision. For wildlife observation it would be great. I may even buy one, after reading an actual review. I will also not throw away my Gen 3 equipment, as I do not think Supervision is in direct competition with passive devices.

From the video, I noticed that there is always a light source from city or street lights, but from what the one gentleman KOBUMIKE describes on the yahoo forum, the device under very dark starlight conditions seems to slower it's shutter speed in order to collect more light. This causes a lag in the image from the increased exposure time. I think this device is passive, but from what I'm reading the darker the nighttime conditions the longer it's lag in presenting an image to the viewer. So it's not a true "real time" system like an image intensifier.

Still on the fence waiting to see more info and reviews.

Invader Zim

Is it your understanding that the Supervison does not include an IR illumination source. That would be unusual, as even Gen 4 scopes have IR illumination capacity.

With my Gen 3 PVS-7, and PVS-14, in a very dark room with almost no ambient light, the IR light source in not necessary. There is a direct coorelation between the sensitivity (quality) of the intensifier tube and the need to use IR.

I understand that the Supervision uses digital processing with a very sensitive CCD. At some point I can't belive an IR illumination source would not be required.

Hi Max,

That is my understanding, which is why the system has me so interested. If you noticed in the video, there's no telltale signs of an active illumination source being used. And the numerous photos of the unit show no signs of an LED illuminator or claim that it has one. Also, the specifications for the unit on the website claim minimum scene illumination of .0003 lux, which is equivalant to starlight conditions according to other CCD camera vendors. I would like to see a comparison of this unit in a non urban environment, with no streetlights and only starlight for illumination to see the difference between this CCD technology and Image Intensifier for a true test of capability. The FAQ also says the unit needs some light to work, so an IR illuminator would be needed as some point, but it seems to be a different way of "intensifying" or enhancing light compared to a tube system.

Update, there's a new video at their website here: http://www.xenonics.com/

SuperVision video here in larger screen format: http://www.xenonics.com/SuperVision/
    Last edited by Invader_ZIM; 06-01-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Flashaholic

Hearing that they are coming out with a system that allows to capture pictures and have a video output is almost worth waiting. I really want one of these, but I would like to hear more from someone with a independant viewpoint and not xenonics themselves.
    Inova X5, HF HID

I haven't had a chance to run it yet, but we just became distributors for Xenonics.

Here's pictures I shot on Friday. I'll post more info once I've been more hands on with it. Probably shoot some thru-the-lens photos when I get a chance...

http://www.sgcusa.com/cgi-bin/sgcusa...988001008.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast