• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Question on GD400

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I want to use a SSC P4 with a GD 400. Input voltage will be 4,5V ( 3 AA- alkalies). My question is: Is it possible to build a two-stage mode with a resistor (like using a BadBoy)?

THX,

moose

Mel_PL

Newly Enlightened
Hockeymoose said:
Hi guys,

I want to use a SSC P4 with a GD 400. Input voltage will be 4,5V ( 3 AA- alkalies). My question is: Is it possible to build a two-stage mode with a resistor (like using a BadBoy)?

THX,

moose

I tried to but gave up. The wire and switch resistance must be taken into account as the sense resistors are below 1R.

-- M.

Nereus

Enlightened
Hockeymoose said:
Hi guys,

THX,

moose
Do you mean sense resistor or a "choke" resistor connected in series with the load to limit the input current?

-N

Mel_PL

Newly Enlightened
Nereus said:
Do you mean sense resistor or a "choke" resistor connected in series with the load to limit the input current?

-N

Good idea but mAmps eaten from the battery (i.e. runtime) will be the same in both levels.

-- M.

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Originally I planed to put in a two- stage switch with a resistor to lower the input current. But if the runtime could not be enhanced...I have to think of an other solution. How long do you think will the estimated runtime be on my setup?

Nereus

Enlightened
Hockeymoose said:
Originally I planed to put in a two- stage switch with a resistor to lower the input current. But if the runtime could not be enhanced...I have to think of an other solution. How long do you think will the estimated runtime be on my setup?
I have no experience on that kind of mod but I think it should work. :thinking: If you add a resistor to the input side of the GD converter, there will be a voltage drop across the resistor. If the voltage drop is big enough the GD converter will act as if it was a BB converter (step-up converter). And like you said, with BB you can use the input side resistor to limit input current. So why not with GD as well?

I suggest that you try it. :)

-N

Hockeymoose

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I will give it a try. Just have to wait a few more days until my GD arrives, I think I can tell you about my experiences in a week or so...
By the way, does anyone has got a wiring diagramm of a GD converterboard?