• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired BigLeef System (continued)

Leef

Enlightened
(This thread is a continuation of the old thread called " LEEF interest thread for SF-C, C cell bodies!" found here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2021348#post2021348
This new thread's name incorporates the product name and moves beyond the interest phase.)

Here is a review of the BigLeef System:

To review, the BigLeef is a multi-battery (three types, each type in unlimited numbers), modular system consisting of a neck, one or more bodies, and a tailcap. There are necks for the SF M-series and C-series heads and the M*g D head. Behind that, one or more bodies can be screwed together for one or multiple cell capacity. The bodies fit together closely and overlap for nearly an inch, so the joint is quite strong. Finally, the tailcap screws into the body and has a tactical clicky switch that will handle most hotwire current loads (a higher capacity switch will be offered, but it'll be a reverse clicky). All joints are sealed with an o-ring.

The photos below show prototypes that differ from the final product in three ways -- color, body pattern and tailcap design. As to color,the basic will be HA-III (gray, matching the SF M series heads) and if there's enough interest, I'll do an electroless nickel finish. The tailcaps will have teardrop shaped cutouts matching those on the neck, scaled down to fit, and they will be scalloped and have lanyard holes. The light will tail stand.

img7819pe7.jpg

img7821rm0.jpg

img7820lq1.jpg

As to body design, a unique interlocking, progressive spiral design I call a spider web pattern is under consideration in lieu of knurling. The first 100 necks will be sequentially numbered. Of course, the Leef logo will be attached, attesting to the quality of the product.

The BigLeef has two different body sizes. One is for the protected, rechargeable LiIon cell offered by AW, having a capacity of 3,300 mAh (50% greater than the 18650). These bodies also fit NiMh and other standard size C cells.

The second body fits the ~26670 Moli Li-Ion cells and the new A123 26650 cell. These are used by Milwaukee and DeWalt in their power tools and have three advantages: they're safe, and they can be discharged and charged at rates unheard of in the flashlight world (30 C continuous discharge and <5 min. full charge). See www.a123systems.com for more information on the A123 cells. Milkyspit has built lights around this cell -- keep an eye on his pages.

I'm really excited about this product, but then, what really matters is whether enough of you are interested to make a production run a good gamble. So what I've decided to do is test the market. A minimum production run, for reasonable unit pricing, is 100 units. If I can get half that number of firm commitments, I'll proceed with construction.

Here's how that works. Anyone who intends to buy one or more basic light needs to PM me and I'll post an updated list. Specific numbers may be requested. If 50 or more units are signed up for, then I'll make a second list, a confirmation list based on a 50% nonrefundable deposit via PP. Not later than when I get 50 deposits, I'll start production. Since the prototypes have been made and firm cost bids obtained from the CNC shop, it won't take long for the lights to be delivered. To be on the conservative side, I'd allow a month after I place the order.

Here are the prices for the first 50 units: SF M-series necks @ $45, SF C-series and Mag necks (not yet determined but about the same), C bodies @ $42, A123 bodies @ $45, and tail caps @ $46.

So, for example, a 1-cell C light would cost $133 and a 2-C light would cost $175. You can order as many bodies per head/tailcap as you wish.

These lights will be sold by Lighthound, subject to his usual shipping, etc. policies and great service.

The second 50 will be 10% higher. Depending on the acceptance of the BigLeef, the above prices may drop a bit if I decide to make more than 100 in the first run. So anyone who's serious should sign up early.

There are other Leef parts that might become a part of the BigLeef system, for example the soon-to-be-announced LeefHeads :whistle:. My interest in developing such things depends on the success of the basic unit.

As has always been the case, I sincerely appreciate your interest in all Leef parts. Let the games begin!

The signup list has been incorporated into this thread. I hope this minimizes confusion and makes signing up easier.

STATUS: All prototypes are at the CNC shop. They haven't given me their schedule, but I'd guess it'll be ~3 weeks (maybe 4) before they have the parts done. Add a week to that for plating. So, with luck, the BigLeef will illuminate many a happy 4 July events!

These CPF members have indicated their intention to purchase BigLeef parts (don't worry if I've not stated exactly what you want, esp. SF C v. SF M necks). :grin2:

ar_wanton, 1, 2C
Chronos, 1, 2C
dradee1, 1, 3C
brunt_sp, 2, 3C
Skalomax, 1, 2C
Waynejitsu, 1, 3C
Kakster, 1, 3C
Lips, 1, 2C and 1, 1C
Msaxatilus, 1, 1C and 1, 2C
Ming560, 1, 2C
Strauss, 1, 2C
Action, 1, 2C; 1, 3C
flex76italy, 1 TC and neck
Rommul, 2, 2C
Softfeel, 1, 2C
Nebula, 1, 1x26650
joedos 1, 2C
c0t0d0s0, 1, 2C
cue003, 2, 2C
ICUDoc, 1, 2C
Freyth, 2, 3C
SS2NV, 1, 2C
Clickie, 1, 2C
Monkeyboy, 1, 3C
jumpstat, 2 sets

Last edited:

Leef

Enlightened
Hmmm. ~20 BigLeef systems signed up for at this time. No activity on these threads for a couple of days. Is the market exhausted, or did my multiple threads confuse the situation?

Come on guys, remember: no one dies thinking how glad they are that they saved money not buying a BigLeef light!

brunt_sp

Enlightened
I don't know if I made it clear that I'm in for 3 X C cell bodies and an M neck all in natural, also 3 X C cell bodies and a C neck all in black.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I have posted.
I am confused, I thought this was on the way?
Yes, too many posts about the same thing...
It really is hard/confusing when there are several threads about the same thing- and trying to keep up.

I just assume that when a thread comes up asking if you want one and you post how many, style, etc, etc..., that it would be a go without having to watch for more threads and posting again.

What I am afraid of with that system is-
1- You wind up looking like you want 2x, 3x, 4x as many as you actually want (depending on how many threads there are on the same subject.
OR-
Wind up with nothing after posting on one thread, assuming it was recorded as wanting one, missing another thread that is started and missing out.

Just my .02 and yes, I want what I posted earlier:)
Hope this helps make things easier.

indycrucible

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in a 1x set, but I'm waiting for more information on the availability of the 26650 cells from A123 before deciding which cell type.

Leef

Enlightened
waynejitsu, brunt, this is the first time I've posted multiple threads on the same topic. I note that others do so, and I thought I'd be making things easier for folks. Looks like I was wrong. :shrug:

The signup thread is the same. Anything entered on that thread (#1 post) is "in the books," even if I don't reflect exactly what a buyer wants at this point. Actual orders will be taken later, all details clarified then, and all those who signed up on the currrent thread will be honored.

BTW, as I write this, chips are flying on the Mag D neck prototype. :grin2:

Action

Enlightened
How about an update on Leef heads? Any progress on a D36 head? Any other kinds of heads for a C/Z/P body?

Leef

Enlightened
Action, I'm trying to decide which heads would be good to make and where to start. I welcome any input from anyone.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
indycrucible said:
I'm interested in a 1x set, but I'm waiting for more information on the availability of the 26650 cells from A123 before deciding which cell type.

Get both and see what you like best.
I have the 26650 and need something else too..., did you know there is also a "D" Li-Ion?

Action

Enlightened
I actually have been thinking about the head situation a while.

I cannot find anyone that makes a D36 sized head for Surefires, so something in this size would likely sell pretty well as bulbs are readily available from the LumenFactory. An alternate would be a D36 head that supported the use of bi-pin bulbs.

Another head that would likely sell well is a turbo head style replacement. The big problem with these are the reflector. Based upon availability, I think that a head based on an aluminum mag reflector would likely do well, particularly if it supported bi-pins.

Of course I am particularly partial to C/Z/P sized heads...

zehnmm

Enlightened
Not exactly sure if I will take the plunge, but if I do, I prefer the 2x C-li-ion body. If all goes well on the funding front, I eventually will get one of your 2x18650 bodies and one of your clickies.

As for a head suggestion: I think an alternative to the SF KT4 turbohead for the M bodies would be good.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am in. this should make using the M6 that much better. I guess for the M6, I will need a 2xC-Cell combo right. So I will be in for that.

Probably 2 bodies since I will probably also build a KT2 with 2xC cell configuration with a long running MN15 bulb or something.

Will need clickies for both and probably a mag neck as well.

Curtis

Leef

Enlightened
cue003, I've put you down for a couple of 2-C lights. I'm not sure which SF LAs will operate from 7v. The HOLA for the M6 may not. If you determine that it won't work, no problem, I'll take you off the list.

You could go to the 3-C setup. That should work. My prototype is at the CNC shop right now, so I can't easily find out (maybe I'll just string some wires).

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
HMMMM......
Gotta save up some money!
I think a 2.5", 3", and maybe a 3.5" head would be cool!
Even if you could make the main bezel empty, and people could buy a head in the size they want and mod it the way they feel fit. Either with a multi-emitter set-up or for a drop in reflector and bulb assembly.

TREAD SUBSCRIBED.....

Freyth

Enlightened
Will a 3C body, come in 3 separate C-cell bodies? Which means, I can choose to have a 2C body, a 1C body or a 3C body. Is that the way it works? Or does it come in a fixed body.