Reaction to flashaholic

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

Currently I am attending a two week Equal Opportunity Leaders Course. As a ice breaker we all have to tell everyone in the class about ourselves. When it was my turn I mentioned I am a flashaholic and of course it generated lots of questions. I was surprised none of the comments and questions was negative. It might be because we were in an EO course environment but I still felt good because for once I did not once have to justify to them why I own so many flashlights. Did any of y'all have any positive experiences similar to mine?

Gimmy

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work with a woman who is an electronics technician like me. I get the same flack about my lights(see sigline) from many people, especially the cost of them. But when I happened to show her my HDS U60 GT, she liked it quite a bit. I explained it and showed her what it can do and she didn't seem negative at all. When she asked how much it was and I told her (about $200.00), she said "I can see spending that for a light like that." I just about fell off my chair. A non-flashoholic saying that to me? WOW!!! SWEET!!!

Walt175

Enlightened
socom1970 said:
I work with a woman who is an electronics technician like me. I get the same flack about my lights(see sigline) from many people, especially the cost of them. But when I happened to show her my HDS U60 GT, she liked it quite a bit. I explained it and showed her what it can do and she didn't seem negative at all. When she asked how much it was and I told her (about $200.00), she said "I can see spending that for a light like that." I just about fell off my chair. A non-flashoholic saying that to me? WOW!!! SWEET!!!

Is she single? :naughty:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, she is taken. And as for those who think I am rich, I am definately not. I have to save up for what I buy. I am married with four children and flashlights is my only hobby. I buy maybe one high dollar light a year, that's about it. There are MANY people here on CPF who spend WAY MORE than that on a light who are also not rich. I might ask if some of you guys play golf. I bet some people spend at least that much for ONE club, and you need a bagful of them to play. Plus a bag or two, possibly a bag cart, a bunch of decent golf balls, greens fees, cart fees, golf clothes, golf shoes, etc.. THOSE are the people I wonder about... :)

Last edited:

jsw4178

Newly Enlightened
eebowler said:
LOL socom, even as a flashaholic, I can't see myself spending $200US on a light! :sssh:

Neither could I until I did it. Nor could I imagine paying $1000 for a knife.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danbo said:
No fair bringing up knife purchases. :D

Knives are easy, they don't see drastic changes in sharpness from year to year. My EDC knife is a Boker WharCom folder (the single AA of knives)

I find clipping my small knife to my belt (and Leatherman Charge) to go along with my 2AA light dilutes the obviousness of my flashaholism. Now I am known as the nut that has a plastic card in my wallet that is wrapped with about a meter of duct tape.

The term is "preperationist" I think :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:
I started that way too. :nana:

same here. i bought a u2 in a store in cash. i would have never bought it had i not seen it there and tested it. the sales clerk was like "wtf?"- i was only maybe... 14 at the time. also, you guys think its hard explaining this stuff to your wives, but i had to hide the u2 the first few weeks in fear that my pops might ask the dreadful question "who much did it cost?"- as a matter of fact, my pops went to the store and saw a 200 buck light and talked to the salesclerk and he was like "jeez, my kids better not buy a light for 200 dollars."- i walked away... quickly. LOL

Dutch

Enlightened
socom1970 said:
Unfortunately, she is taken. And as for those who think I am rich, I am definately not. I have to save up for what I buy. I am married with four children and flashlights is my only hobby. I buy maybe one high dollar light a year, that's about it. There are MANY people here on CPF who spend WAY MORE than that on a light who are also not rich. I might ask if some of you guys play golf. I bet some people spend at least that much for ONE club, and you need a bagful of them to play. Plus a bag or two, possibly a bag cart, a bunch of decent golf balls, greens fees, cart fees, golf clothes, golf shoes, etc.. THOSE are the people I wonder about... :)

Good one!

A buddy doesn't "get" my hobbies. He just spent $500 on one golf club. Told him I can at least cut a baloney sandwich with my custom knife.

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
eebowler said:
LOL socom, even as a flashaholic, I can't see myself spending $200US on a light! :sssh:

then you're not truly a flashaholic (which is probably a good thing). Have you ever heard of an alcoholic who spends wisely on drinks?

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
socom1970 said:
It's probably because she's a Tech, the technically minded people usually see the value in any form of technology, and the HDS is definitely a technologically advanced light

It's basically a tiny computer that makes light, and that's just plain cool:)

people with a more mundane.....err...."normal" mindset (sales, marketing, etc...) don't see the value in our favorite gizmos, their loss, more toys for us then ;)

currently, my most technologically advanced light is a Eternalight ErgoMarine 3, it's just a plain fun light, especially the variable strobe mode, great for "freezing" fanblades on a spinning fan.... and the ultralong low-beam runtime makes it a great addition to EDC

defusion

Enlightened
liteboy said:
then you're not truly a flashaholic (which is probably a good thing). Have you ever heard of an alcoholic who spends wisely on drinks?
just about any alcoholic buys the most alcohol for the least amount of money.
skip the beers, bring out the cheap whisky!
oh wait, maybe thats just the bums.