I'm the flashlight god.....at least thats what I'm told.

clipse

Enlightened
My wife works at the local hardware store. I work at the local county courthouse. They are one block away from each other. Pretty convinient. Anyway, its a small comunity (town with pop > 5000) and word get around pretty good. Especially since two people at this courthouse has previously work at the hardware store. Now I'm babbling, I'll get to the point.

This new guy working at the hardware store brought his flashlight in cause it wasn't working. He got new batteries and it flickered but wouldn't light again. So, some mentions that the paint girls husband is nuts about flashlights.(thats me by the way) At lunch my wife explains the situation to me and asks if I will look at it. To which I reply,"Sure, what kinda flashlight is it?" My wife tells me is a big black maglite. Okay, this should be pretty easy. She brings it home on friday and gives me the entire weekend to look at it. It is a 6 cell 'D' Maglite that is beat all the hell. I open it up and have trouble getting all the fresh cells out of it from the corrosion. (go figure) I tried to click the switch and it is super sticky. Doesn't want to do anything. So, I go get one of my spare parts D cell Mags and pull the switch out and replace with my spare parts one. Then clean out the corrosion, progold and deoxit all contact points, replace the bulb, grease the threads and orings, wave my magic wand and tada. It works. :) Job well done. Then I got grab my 2C Maglite with 5 cell Mag-Num Star bulb and 2 18500's to see which is brighter. Mine won by far. Granted the 6 cell Mag did have the normal cheap krypton bulbs.

So, my wife takes the flashlight back on Monday. She tells the guy went on and on and on about great I was and how I fixed his flashlight. He told so many poeple that it made its way over one block to where I work and now people are saying I'm the flashlight god. I went over to the store and he still seemed very excited about it today. When I say he seemed excited, he really seemed excited. A bit too excited. I mean, I was even that excited when I got my HDS EDC U60 or when I got it upgraded with the Seould SSC or when I got my Mag85. And I was REALLY EXCITED. :)

Anyway, I consider myself a amaeture compared to most on this site and changing a switch on a maglite was pretty simple. But you would have thought I had invented the flashlight.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Excellent story - towards the end I was worrying that your wife had taken your Mag85 and given it to this guy by mistake. Then he would have been REALLY pleased!

Pokerstud

Enlightened
DM51 said:
Excellent story - towards the end I was worrying that your wife had taken your Mag85 and given it to this guy by mistake. Then he would have been REALLY pleased!

Now thats funny right there!! But.....I don't think Clipse would find it that way. Anyway, great story, nice thing you did there for that person. He'll be back in a year with the same situation, and you can again turn water into wine.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
clipse, you have a potential flashaholic right there!! Did you try to bring him over to the dark...erm, bright side??

After he sees your U60 or whatever higher end light, he may not need his 6D Mag anymore! :laughing:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what you gotta do. You gotta ask for his light back and tell him to you accidentally put in his old bulb instead of a new bulb and tell him with time bulbs dim so a new bulb is needed.

That's when you slip in a ROP-low bulb. Running alkies and being a low the reflector should hold up.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice to use Your spare parts

(and speechless about those ppl who not noticeing corrosion, sticky switch, bad batts, mixed cells, ...)

clipse

Enlightened
Thanks, guys. I'll show him my HDS U60 (lens is busted right now, I have a new one on the way) and my mag85. Right now I only have my Amilite Neo T5 in my pocket and while it is impressive, I didn't have the time to show him what a real flashlight looked like. :) I thought about letting him borrow my 2C Maglight with 2x18500's and 5 cell Mag-Num Star bulb for a night or two and see which he liked better. :) Getting more light from a package that is about 1/5 the size and ALOT lighter is pretty impressive to me anyway. Of course my HDS U60 (oh yeah it has the Seoul SSC upgrade) puts out more overall light as well. But it seems that in general people are more concerned with throw. If a light can't hit the wall at 20' with florescent lighting above then its not impressive. Thats where the Mag85 shines (literally and figuratively).

If my wife gave my Mag85 to that guy instead of his light, I would have been very very upset. Yeah, it would have been funny but not for some time. :)

No I don't live in Maybarry but its still a cool old town. The courthouse I work in was built in 1900. It is the second courthouse. The first one burnt down. Here is a pic

courthouse.jpg

I like this small communitee. Its nice knowing everyone when you go to the grocery store or to get gas or go to the bank.

clipse

DM51

Flashaholic
That courthouse looks like the one in that film "My cousin Vinny" (Joe Pesci). Very funny film. Is the judge there the same too? Like the actor who played Herman Munster?

clipse

Enlightened
No not quite. The judge is tall though. :) Actually, a interesting tid bit. The judges son was one of my best friends in school. Kinda goes along with the whole small community thing. :)