Here's what i have, what next?

jayhackett03

Enlightened
Here's my light collection. I'm curious what to get next. Throw some opinions at me. Why is the L4 so much more popular than the L2? The L2 is two stage!

What "flashlight areas" have i not covered with my current collection?

I'm thinkin:
  • Surefire L2
  • Surefire L4
  • Surefire G3
  • Fenix P3D CE
  • Lumapower D-mini
Here's what i have:
  • Surefire G2
  • Surefire A2
  • Fenix L2P
  • Fenix L1P
  • Maglite 6D. UCL, camless MOP, MagStar Xenon
  • Maglite 4D. lots of factory throw
  • (sold) Mag85 3D.
  • Mag 3D, rubber hose battery adapter, 4C alkaline
  • Mag 2D, 6 Sanyo Eneloop, Fivemega 6AA, ROP
  • Mag 2C, old style
  • (2) Mag Minimag 2AA
  • Mag Solitare
  • (sold) Microfire M4
  • (sold) Jetbeam C-LE
  • Pelican Stealthlite 2400
  • (2) Dorcy 4AA adjustable focus lanterns
  • Dorcy 2AA rubberized
  • Rayovac 2D plastic
  • Coleman 1AA
  • 4 no-name plastics

Last edited:

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I'm a Surefire kinda guy so the L2 or L4 would be great choices. If you don't need two stages the L4 might be best. It's famous for it's "wall" of light. There will be those that tell you the Surefire's aren't worth their price but you know differen:) tly since you have a couple. Maybe both??

Culhain

Enlightened
The wait is killing me, but I'm holding off buying any new lights until the reviews on the forthcoming SF Cree L1 are out. ATM, I'm fighting the urge to order the new Inova T1.:broke:

In the meantime, I ordered a Cree drop in for my C2.

QuinnK

Newly Enlightened
Why is the L4 so much more popular than the L2? The L2 is two stage!

Some of the reason may be the fact that the L4 is noticeably shorter and lighter than the L2.

Take care... Quinn

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
a couple of M6, one for LOLA the other for HOLA comes to mind. Another would be either the M3, L6 (if you can find it) then you can Lego them. Between the L2 and L4, I've got the L4 and have borrowed an L2 for a few days, prefer L4 though for its shorter, useful length. L4 can lego not L2 as circuits in the body. Better still get both the E1L/L4 but wait for the upgraded E1L with cree. Personally, having used surefires I'll stick with them although they are expensive and others are brighter.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
well, i like the M6 and i love the M3, but they're expensive.

so after you gave that L2 back, you didn't miss having that 2 stage capabilities? maybe thats just a bigger deal to me than others.

lets talk about this E1L/L4 setup...what is it? an E1 body, with an L4 head, right? whats the benefit? will only running 3 volts into the LED lower the output compared to a regular L4? is the only benefit size? anything else about this?

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have the L4 and really love it! I almost bought the L2, but changed my mind after I been told that I could play lego with it! (my wallet r still crying)

Got the two stage McE2s tailcap assembly, but I dont really like it, like the L4 just as it is, I use it to really illuminate things, not as an allaround light. So the L4 is absolutely rigt for me, like the click on function to!

Another light thats on your list that u dont have are the D-Mini, that one really is a pocket rocket! And with the new 18650 body from PEU (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/159537) it is going to be a veeery nice light!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayhackett03 said:
well, i like the M6 and i love the M3, but they're expensive.

so after you gave that L2 back, you didn't miss having that 2 stage capabilities? maybe thats just a bigger deal to me than others.

lets talk about this E1L/L4 setup...what is it? an E1 body, with an L4 head, right? whats the benefit? will only running 3 volts into the LED lower the output compared to a regular L4? is the only benefit size? anything else about this?
The KL4/E1L combi is a neat little light, TW4 its called here in CPF. Since KL4 head employs a boost circuit, it can run on a single CR123, but it gets better with R123a rechargeable. Output is the same beam pattern and brightness as a KL4 albeit the lower runtime though. Personally I run all my lights with rechargeables for guilt free lumens. If you are looking for a thrower then KL4 is not it. KL1 yes. I have an L1 and it is also a very useful light much shorter than L2 and is a thrower. A F04 Beamshaper can make it into a floodlight. Very high runtime.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I would hold out on buying a SF LED, we're going to see brighter, longer running crees(or something) in SFs SOMEDAY... just doesn't seem logical to tell SF it's "OK" to keep selling yesterdays tech at tomorrows price by voting with your wallet like that.

In line with SF option.. I like the idea of some M series stuff. What about a M6 or a custom setup with a leefbody?

Gordov2

Enlightened
Wait on any Surefire LED product until the new ones are out. However, you should have a incan. Surefire M3-CB. You should also have a D-Mini and/or the new LumaPower MRV for sure. Also my latest buy was a Surefire C2 with a Lumens Factory HO9, 320 lumen bulb, running on AW's 123 rechargable 3.7 volt cells... INCREDIBLE output for a 5 inch light!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Have you looked at HID? This one is a good place to start.
The Lumapower MRV is a pretty good thrower. Or maybe you want a Draco, I think it, with the Cree emitter, is as bright(or brighter) as the L4 but much smaller but runtime is very short on Burst.