Red DIY update.

Kenom

Enlightened
We've all followed the updates on SenKat's DIY red and the DIY for the blue-rays and seen some very unique idea's for putting a laser into a flashlight casing. I posted somewhere some pictures of the modifications I've been doing to a AAA mini-mag light to house my red DIY diode assembly.

Here are the finished results and pictures from along the way.

mag2jv6.jpg

mag1ay2.jpg

dsc00180vk8.jpg

dsc00182ur9.jpg

http://imageshack.us/

http://imageshack.us/

Now I epoxied the diode inside the head of the maglite. Epoxied the washer inside the cap. Epoxied the head so it won't spin, and epoxied the lens of the module to the washer so that when I spin the cap it focus's the laser. I do not have an option currently for a tailcap switch as this is the AAA version of the mini-mag and I've not seen a tailcap switch for this size maglite. I will drill a hole in the end and mount (with epoxy) a switch to turn it off and on. Right now to turn it on I spin the tailcap till it makes contact with the batteries. With the exception of the washer and lens assembly for the laser I used very little epoxy so I could easily remove it and fix or replace the diode when it dies.

Last edited:

Ashton

Enlightened
Great job, kenom! what's the output for it? I'm guessing ~20mw since that's the average rating for the diodes, how close to that did you get, though? (and how long does it last with a single AAA battery???)

SenKat

Enlightened
Ashton - since Kenom is out - it is a 2AAA battery maglight - not the single cell. With a single cell, it would not even lase - the maglight has no boost circuitry inside to assist. He is using a DVD burner diode - so I would reckon that it is closer to 150+mw he is getting out of it !

Ashton

Enlightened
oh.. *turns red* heh, sorry, I was looking a the blue light and thought he had a bluray diode.... still an awesome mod though! *slowly slinks away, tail between legs*

Kenom

Enlightened
LOL, your seeing the blue led's mounted under my desk to illuminate my keyboard at night. Autozone special lightbar. works very well for illumination.

Corona

Enlightened
Haha!! Ahmm, great idea with the focus. And - is that a dime in there?!? :D

Nice looking final assembly, man!

It's scary how much your test bench looks like mine, I even have the same roach-clip parts vise. Except for the ashtray, it's darn near an identical... disaster area...LMAO

Keep up the good work

Kenom

Enlightened
Yeah, I really need to clean the doggone computer desk off. Havn't got room for a full fledged workbench or shop in my trailer so it's work on the computer desk.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
Terry --

I have two RED "pointers" which run with no resistor. I took a lot of readings and gritted my teeth before I powered them up that way !!!
I also use a tantalum capacitor accross the LD and use lots of Arctic 5 !
YMMV -----
Mike

Kenom

Enlightened
Mine is running with no resistor. Yes it burns stuff. I tried making some good video's of it burning some electrical tape but my camera isnt' that good at closely focused items.

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
I guess I'll have to try it myself and see how it goes on one of my diodes. I'll report back with findings.

--DDL

Gazoo

Enlightened
I see AixiZ is selling the module without the diodes in packs of ten for $25.50. What I don't know is if they are set up for 5.6mm diodes, but I would assume so. I asked the seller but he never replied to me. So I went ahead and ordered the parts from Meredith. Their module comes with a glass lens where as the AixiZ comes with plastic lenses. But the Meredith is much more expensive.

I have a couple of red diodes I found on ebay that I am experimenting with. I will be able to post more when I receive the module from Meredith. I also ordered the Red Laser shades from Wicked...they only took a couple of days to get here:)

I am not sure what I will use for a host yet. This will be my first laser and since I am building it I am taking it one step at a time. But a maglite or something is looking good, or the Dorcy that SenKat did.

Kenom

Enlightened
I see AixiZ is selling the module without the diodes in packs of ten for $25.50. What I don't know is if they are set up for 5.6mm diodes, but I would assume so. I asked the seller but he never replied to me. So I went ahead and ordered the parts from Meredith. Their module comes with a glass lens where as the AixiZ comes with plastic lenses. But the Meredith is much more expensive.

I have a couple of red diodes I found on ebay that I am experimenting with. I will be able to post more when I receive the module from Meredith. I also ordered the Red Laser shades from Wicked...they only took a couple of days to get here:)

I am not sure what I will use for a host yet. This will be my first laser and since I am building it I am taking it one step at a time. But a maglite or something is looking good, or the Dorcy that SenKat did.

You can use the module from Aizix. It is setup for 5.6mm. It's a tight fit and you should use some thermal grease in there as well to make sure you are conducting the heat efficiently. Aizix also sells the same modules with glass lenses all you have to do is send a message to him that you are looking for the glass one's. I'm currently waiting my shipment from a group buy. (well, one person bought it and he sold the extra's he had.) I think I bought two. Anyway, Once you get the modules (donno bout the one's from meridith.) it's a matter of mounting it and running power to it. You will have to fiddle with the focus a bit to make er work good. but it's lots of fun to play with. I'm currently working on another just waiting for the parts to get to me. Module, dvd burner and capacitor. Then it's moving on up to the blu-ray.

Gazoo

Enlightened
Hi Kenom,

Thanks for the info about AixiZ. I will try to contact him again ans ask him for pricing on the glass lens ones. The Meredith one was $47.00 including the 5.6 to 9mm adapter and shipping...ouch! It resembles the AixiZ one...link follows:

http://www.mi-lasers.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=
LDC-2&reference=/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords
%3Ddiode_optics%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DTemplates
/SearchResult.html

Without a lens, I have been able to burn through a trash bag in a flash, and through electrical tape in a couple seconds. I am having fun, but I will be able to have more fun when I receive the module. I thought I had ruined the diode because it was emitting tons of artifacts. All that was wrong was the glass was dirty from having to have the diode so close to stuff to burn. So I am looking forward to the module. I can't wait to see the beam. I sure do wish I could afford a LaserCheck..lol

The diode draws around 140ma when connected to two AA Nimh batteries. For now I am using the alligator clip thingy on the helping hands for a heat sink. It is not very effective but is better than nothing. Hooked up to three Nimh batteries, the current draw is over 500ma. I know it is too much. I am not sure yet what I will use to regulate. I guess it depends on how well the module dissipates heat, then I will know how many ma's I can drive the diode with. I am thinking around 300ma, with a short duty cycle. I might throw in a switch so I can switch between 100, and 300ma....something along those lines.

Yup, blu-ray is next for me too but it will be a while. I may go green first.

Kenom

Enlightened
Boy you weren't kidding about ouch. those modules are spendy. I don't know how much your going to spend for the modules from aixiz. SenKat purchased a lot of I believe 10 modules with glass assemblies from him however I'm not sure how much he paid. that is information he is going to have to divulge since I don't have it.

Aixiz does take a bit of time to answer emails. I'm sure he's super busy answering all the questions us dumb people are asking all the time. Like hey can I buy a module for a green pointer without a diode in it? I want pretty good quality mca in it. Thanks and oh I'm only looking to spend $5.

Gazoo

Enlightened
Just a short update. I found a lens I had and it is used in those mini cameras. After tinkering with the alignment, I was able to produce a nice red beam. I did notice, as someone else pointed out, the beam is much more visible when looking towards it. When looking at it sideways it can be seen but is faint. It is cool looking though.

It will burn at about six inches when the diode is drawing 200ma. As I pointed out before, the problem is as the diode heats up, it puts out less power, but the current draw stays stable. I am sure it will work better mounted in the module with the heat sinking and correct lens. I should have it tomorrow or Monday.

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
just got my package of 10 module housings from Aixiz in the mail today. Can anyone tell me what necessary function the spring provides? Other than the spring, these appear to be the exact same as the modules we got in the Doc's diode groupbuy.