Best waterproof digital camera

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there has been a lot about digital cameras, but a local volunteer group I help out needs some waterproof digital cameras that have controls big enough for older volunteers to see and operate. These cameras will be used in and around streams and often in the rain.

It doesn't need a lot of features, just be reliable, easy to use and have a storage format that will make electronic photos difficult to retrieve in the future.

Thanks --Josey

Etienne1980

Newly Enlightened
PENTAX OPTIO W30
7 M. pixels
waterproof 3 m
uses SD cards
1 cm macromode
25 scenes modes
as long as you want high quality video mode

InFlux

Enlightened
PENTAX OPTIO W30
7 M. pixels
waterproof 3 m
uses SD cards
1 cm macromode
25 scenes modes
as long as you want high quality video mode

I just bought this exact camera (Pentax Optio W30) today! :party: I'll let you know my (admittedly novice) opinion when it arrives.

I believe I read in an earlier thread McGizmo has the previous model and liked it a lot (although from his photo threads he's upgraded a bit since then :nana:).

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Josey,
I gave the Pentax to my wife primarily because its battery wants to discharge over a few weeks of "sleep" which worked agains my desire of being able to grab it on the spur of the moment. She needed a new camera and I have two Nikon D70's (one lives in a UW housing) so it seemed the thing to do.

I took the camera on my surfski a few times and used it in the rain to no ill effect but expecting it to be waterproof requires a fair amount of faith as well as attention to seals. :shrug:

It is the only camera I know of that is small and claiming a 3 meter dunking capability. It is a seemingly nice camera as well given its size and price.

As an alternate, you might want to look into inexpensive UW housings for more popular digital cameras. Many of the small cameras now have acrylic UW cases available as an option for a few bills. They work quite well but do need a dessicant onboard to avoid fogging, or so I found.

barkingmad

Enlightened
I just bought a Pentax W30 for my holiday a few weeks ago - pretty impressed with it and much easier (less heavy / bulky) than using waterproof enclosures.

The pictures came out very well - perhaps not quite as good as my Canon Ixus 850is (out of water) but it is less expensive and waterproof.

One other I considered was an Olympus (forgot the model) but it lost points for using XD memory cards (the Pentax uses the more 'common' and cheaper SD type) and the Pentax seemed to get better reviews etc.

barkingmad

Enlightened
Otherwise a cheap option if you already have a compact is to use an Aquapac waterproof case - they also go to 3m (maybe more) but I found that yes condensation can be an issue and the image quality is not as good as the Pentax (as it's a lens going through extra plastic etc.).

But probably 1/10th the cost of the Pentax so if you have a digital camera already worth considering...

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there has been a lot about digital cameras, but a local volunteer group I help out needs some waterproof digital cameras that have controls big enough for older volunteers to see and operate. These cameras will be used in and around streams and often in the rain.

It doesn't need a lot of features, just be reliable, easy to use and have a storage format that will make electronic photos difficult to retrieve in the future.

Thanks --Josey

There are plastic bags with plastic lens in them to $20,000 camera housings.
There are also single use U/W film cameras (the site has at least one reusable camera) and water resistant digitals.

What is the budgit and why do you want "difficult to retrieve" pictures.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say that Etienne1980's recommendation sounded quite practical. I've used a Canon S50 in a waterproof housing a fair bit and while it can open up great possibilities (see below) for everyday use it's not very practical, and for all sorts of reasons (like the extra fiddliness of the knobs) I wouldn't recommend it for older people for everyday use.

brokenshell.jpg

Ripped off the original Australian Tourism Board ad:

aussie-bh.jpg

InFlux

Enlightened
I just bought this exact camera (Pentax Optio W30) today! :party: I'll let you know my (admittedly novice) opinion when it arrives.

I believe I read in an earlier thread McGizmo has the previous model and liked it a lot (although from his photo threads he's upgraded a bit since then :nana:).

Actually after doing a lot more research I changed my order to a Olympus Stylus 770SW. It's not only waterproof, but also freeze proof, crush and drop resistant. It also has a better LCD display (almost 2x the pixels of the Pentax). Like all cameras (and everything) it has it's pluses and minuses- but I decided this was better for me.

There are a ton of reviews online for both cameras.

gorn

Enlightened
I have the Olympus Stylus 720SW. It is the predecessor of the 770SW. It is a great camera and you can pick them up cheap now. It is water proof to 10 feet for over an hour. The 7MP images are crisp and clear, it also has a very good video capture ability, much better than my previous cameras. I bought it mainly to snorkle with in the lakes and rivers I visit. So far I have no complaints about it at all.

Edit: The 770SW is water proof to 10 meters, I forgot to add that.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Until I switched to a Nikon D70, I have been an Olympus user almost exclusively. It's cool to find out about the 770SW!! Do any of you guys have a feel for the on the shelf discharge rate of the battery?

Taylorf

Enlightened
Like others have suggested, the Olympus stylus 770 sw is a great choice. Its rated to 30 feet. I have only tested it to five but it holds up great. It is one of the most solid cameras I have ever used. It isnt the best camera I have used picture wise, but its definitely not bad. Its a great choice for a waterproof camera.

gorn

Enlightened
Until I switched to a Nikon D70, I have been an Olympus user almost exclusively. It's cool to find out about the 770SW!! Do any of you guys have a feel for the on the shelf discharge rate of the battery?

I last charged mine about 2 months ago. I have taken probably 10 pictures since then and the battery still shows full. I haven't had a problem with the discharge rate at all.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen a waterproof camera for sale at costco but I can't remember which one. If you're a costco member it might be worth checking out.