A2 story...

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I was at a local electronics supplier yesterday, looking for some surface-mount resistors. I asked the owner for the value and size I was looking for, and he looked in the bins (where I had already looked) and found the same thing that I had already discovered... that the bin was empty. He then asked me to follow him upstairs, where he kept the shelves of full reels.

Anyway, he turns on the light for the stairwell and upstairs, and it doesn't go on. Lightbulb is burned out. He starts walking up the stairs in the dark, so I pull out one of my Aviatrix modded A2's and hit the full-on incandescent beam. It floods out the stairwell with light, including the top of the stairs and most of the room above.

He turns to me and says "Don't you just love those new high-brightness LED flashlights? I can't believe how bright LED lights are getting these days!". I suppress a grin, nod in agreement, and follow him to where the reels are. Keep in mind here... the ONLY source of light we are working by is my A2, doing a tailstand (I've got one of the aftermarket acetal tailcaps) and cealing bounce. We find the parts, count the right number of parts off the reel, and get ready to go back down the stairs. He once again turns to me and says "Yep... just a few years ago, there was NO WAY that LED flashlights could be that bright. You have a real nice one there, is it a Fenix? I just bought a Fenix a few weeks ago... yours seems brighter though... is it a newer Fenix?"

I can't suppress it any longer. I burst into a grin and kind of laugh... hand him the light, and say "Actually, it's a Surefire incandescent/led hybrid light... and what we've been seeing with has mostly been an incandescent bulb... the LEDs don't add much to the overall brightness, they're mainly meant for low-light use!"

He couldn't believe it. He was absolutely floored - he told me "NO WAY is that bright white light an incandescent bulb - it HAS to be an LED!!!". He examines the light, realizes that it IS an incandescent, and shakes his head as we walk down the stairs. "I got to get me one of those... mutter... mutter... got to get me one..."

I still get a grin out of it... so I thought I'd share. :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

SCblur

Enlightened
Nice one, sounds like a budding flashaholic to me. I suppose it won't be long before we see him on CPF.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome story. Unfortunately the power of xenon/halogen lights are lost on the newest segment of LED barraged flash-o-hols until they see them in action.

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
Great story. I am sure we will see him on here soon. Especially if he had heard of fenix. He is already one of us it sounds like.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, amazing story! Thanks for sharring.:thumbsup:
And he was talking about Fenix flashlights? Did you ask him if he isn't a member of CPF? :)