Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small LED Like Streamlight Keymate With Cree

Delete

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Keymate being button-cell powered, will be slightly shorter than AAA based lights. If you have about a $200 budget, you can go for Modamag's draco :D I believe that should be the 'best' light in that class!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't consider the Keymate a "serious" keychain light, but it is very under rated. It's extremely easy to swap out the LED for the latest, brightest LED and it is a very durable little light. It's output is usually perceived as brighter than other form factors using the same LED which I think is because of the larger sized head and reflector.

It's kinda cute because it looks like a "real" traditional" flashlight. I would consider it very useful if most of its use was for short bursts.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
JAS said:
If I were to buy something like this now, is the Keymate the wy to go, or is there something else out there that is similar in size that will out perform the Keymate?
There are lots of lights that will outperform the Keymate, including the Fenix lights mentioned. Peak LED Solutions makes some highly regarded small lights, including some that come with Luxeon or Seoul LEDs. A Peak Baltic, for example, in hard-anodized aluminum, using a single AAA, with either a Luxeon or SSC P4 is an excellent keychain light.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
JAS said:
I was sent a Streamlight Keymate as part of a magazine subscription a number of months ago. I like it quite a bit....Is this probably one of the better (best?) lights in this category right now?

I love my SL Keymates!

Economical, simple, reliable, and quite unobtrusive riding on a keychain. Also decent to neck carry with included lanyard. Plenty bright for typical keychain light duties.

There are probably similar form-factor generic or house-brand lights that I'm not aware of.

However, for less than 10 bucks, I really don't think there's a light that can compete with the SL Keymate.

I like my Fenix E0, but for the same amount of money, two SL Keymates was a better deal.