Need high-output Maglite Drop in

Delta

Enlightened
Now that I know that my new Terralux drop in is junk, what are my options?

I want to turn it into something useful. Either super-long runtime, or super bright.

Who can I turn to for custom work, or what other good drop ins/ replacement bulbs are there?

Incan or LED, it doesn't matter. I just want to salvage this $100-total debacle.

Brozneo

Enlightened
What drop in did you get? The new 2-3 cell one or the 3-6 cell one? I have the 3-6 cell on in a 2D mag - i tried it with 3 cells and it was worse than the stock mag led... however now its in my 2D with a FM 6AA to 2D adapter and its way brighter... So thats an option... Also if you only have a 3D, try 4C's in there - slight modification needed.

Malkoff Drop Ins are excellent, but they are damn hard to get! Sign up on his site and you'll get an email when some come available... Just be in front of the rush! :naughty:

Im not too sure about your incandesant or custom options as I haven't been around too long to know... But I hope this helps in one way or another!

frogs3

Enlightened
Dear Delta,

I was hoping to snag a Malkoff drop-in as it seems to get excellent reviews by those who have them, but as Brozneo wrote, the demand is much greater than the supply.

So...I built a M@g85 with the 3D light I had intended for an LED drop-in.

It was very instructive, great fun, and the light is really bright. It wasn't exactly a "drop-in", but more like "plug and play". The resistance lowering mods come next.

You might want to try this route, as I found it much easier than expected.

Enjoy,

HAK

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here is his website, and a thread

Have you tried replacing your Terralux drop-in? You might have gotten a bad egg.

Modamag, Milkyspit, Iricus(Spelling?) and a few other might be able to modify your mag for you but might be over your $100 budget. Or make a ROP mod for your mag.

Delta

Enlightened
frogs3 said:
Dear Delta,

I was hoping to snag a Malkoff drop-in as it seems to get excellent reviews by those who have them, but as Brozneo wrote, the demand is much greater than the supply.

So...I built a M@g85 with the 3D light I had intended for an LED drop-in.

It was very instructive, great fun, and the light is really bright. It wasn't exactly a "drop-in", but more like "plug and play". The resistance lowering mods come next.

You might want to try this route, as I found it much easier than expected.

Enjoy,

HAK

Whats the runtime on an 85?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Mag85 runtime varies depending on the capacity of the AA cells used. I've heard up to 37 minutes. Most often about 20 minutes. I'd want to use Sanyo Eneloops though, for their ability to hold a charge for a while... many months in fact. The price to be paid for using Eneloops however, is the 2000ma capacity VS about 2500-2700 for regular Sanyo NiMh. Shorter run times. Of course, a serious hotwire junky will have several fivemega 9AA "packs" ready to go anyway :)

Cydonia

Enlightened
What about that eLUX module? They've got 2 left for sale on ebay here

I've had my eye on this eLUX thing for a few weeks. Dual red and white... 3 red and 3 white LED's... must be Luxeon III's?

Why does it say LED life is 4000% of the 12 hour Mag bulb life? That's only 40x12 = 480 hours?!

Searched hub and found a few references to it. Very vague info. They also have a regulated 18 LED flood insert for Maglite as well here. It is a dual color green and white... tap the mag switch to change modes. Is this any good and why is there so little information about this on the forum?
(The Led Museum did do a review of one of eLUX's smaller old multi LED modules.)

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you need an High-Output maglite the mag85 is perfect in my opinion...
you can use 9 nimh, 9 150S pilas or 9 protected 17500 like here
with 1300 lumens output and 50 minutes runtime or 9 14500 with Fivemega adapter:)

for each component you need look here!

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
FEI (for everyone's info :grin2: ) Malkoff said in his latest "Drop In's available" email that he will have a Tri LED drop in soon for 4D Mags, but it was also said that the initial price will be high... I can't wait to see what he's come up with for this!This could be an option for you Delta - use your 3D Mag with 4C cells.