Maxpedition - Bags and Packs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kai's new approach to new lights

Default Kai's new approach to new lights

Kai is asking for feedback on two potential new lights. Looks like they are already in production but he's asking for feedback on whether or not to offer them. Both are $15 shipped (each), one a cree, one a seoul, both use one 3.6V 14500 Li-ion cell only, both are multi-level, and as he states, both are fully regulated. They look intriguing for the price but I'm not sure I want to add 14500 Li-ion's to my existing mix of primaries and rcr123's.
    Have a look-see:
    https://www.kaidomain.com/vote/v1.html

Default Re: Kai's new approach to new lights

I don't think I'll be buying a light that runs ONLY on 14500.

It's REALLY nice to have the option ala the Dexlight, but I also want to be able to throw in a NIMH or even an alki if I need to at some point.

So, I'ma have to give it a

(Glad he's learned his lesson from the Rexlight fiasco and won't be selling things that aren't "in stock" any more)

Flashaholic*

For a light thats "custom made and designed" it looks alot like this one from DX.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1890

I'll not be buying any more lights from Kai. Bad experience.

Flashaholic*

If you're going to make a AA or 14500 light it should be as small as posible IMHO.If it's going to have a larger bezel then you might as well go to a 17500 batt or 18500. This size of battery will still keep the light short but give better runtime,and you don't give up that much in over all size.

Just my .02
    DON

Sick2 Re: Kai's new approach to new lights

I don't want to offend anyone but I won't be buying any more lights from Kai either! I guess you get what you pay for. Can't expect much from a 15 dollar light!
    There used to be a sig line here!!

I am not sure if I will be buying one. I too like the form factor of the AA/14500 lights (Fenix/Rexlight/Jetbeam). I do like my Rexlight and I am glad that I purchased it. It could be better, but it is very bright on high. I am looking for something that could either run brighter (more than a burst mode) or run longer. On the other hand - $15.00 seems like a very good price.

The light seems nice (especially for the price) but I to don't really see the point in a 14500 ONLY cell light. If you are going to do that why not make a RCR only light since it would be able to be much smaller.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbster View Post
    +1

If you have a 1"+ body the battery of choice here should be a 17500, or 18500. Just makes sense. Now, correct me if I am wrong about the body diameter.

Bill

After rexlight, I'm afraid I won't be ordering anything from Kai at all anymore.

I still haven't received my rexlight. It's been well over two months since I ordered.

Here we go again. No thanks.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Popcorn Re: Kai's new approach to new lights

I don't know they use PWM for multi steps or not.

I don't want to buy new batteries and a new charger for a cheap light. I'll stick with CR123/RCR123. They have plenty of runtime for me and I like the smaller size.

I have a couple of $15 lights from Kai and DX and they are worth the price, but I would rather spend more for well regulated reliable output. The cheap ones are bright, but they also run hot and you never know when they might go 'poof'.

Enlightened

what i see its a package contains 1AA housing(w/glass lens+ alu-relfector) , Cree P3 star and 1x li-ion multilevel engine but not a "flashlight"

so its a "must buy" item for me

Reluctantly, I have to say I'm not going to buy from Kai anytime in the near future either.

DealExtreme has also appeared on my radar as someone else to watch.

I'm beginning to think that you do get what you pay for and for consistent quality products and good delivery times I need to look elsewhere. (and maybe pay a little bit more)

I was booed and shooed last time I mentioned this, but there's something funny about these "cheap lights" coming from yonder.

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    I was booed and shooed last time I mentioned this, but there's something funny about these "cheap lights" coming from yonder.

OK, I'll bite. What's so funny?

"funny" as in "fishy" - sorry for being cryptic, some people thought that I didn't know what I was talking about when I expressed my discomfort with certain businesses going off line and resurfacing as something else, etc.

Anyway, what do I know... I'll go hide under my rock now.

I finally got my lights from Kai after a month and a half. Though they are mostly worth the price, the wait was a definite big negative. I don't think I would have minded the wait as much if there were better communication from Kai. I'll probably still order from Kai, but they will likely be very small or single quantity orders until he can streamline the delivery process.

KuoH

Quote Originally Posted by greenLED View Post
    "funny" as in "fishy" - sorry for being cryptic, some people thought that I didn't know what I was talking about when I expressed my discomfort with certain businesses going off line and resurfacing as something else, etc.

Anyway, what do I know... I'll go hide under my rock now.
    Naw I'm sure you're not stupid. I'm glad he seems to be filling the orders. I never got the idea he would run with the money, but I can understand why people were nervous.

Believe me that many of us were entertained by reading the posts of all the nervous nellies. I don't think we were malicious in our interest, but it was something that was mildly amusing.

I found it ironic that when CPF went down for its overhaul, Kai was finally able to catch up with many of the orders. Maybe he had a few less emails flying into his domain for a week... I'm kidding!

(With over 11,000 posts I hope you aren't hiding anywhere!)

i dunno, looks pretty nice to me,

I'll probably get one as i've never had a problem with dx/kai/fifthunit.
    aah, me eyes!!! =]

I think it is the same design as the one from DX BUT with the 350mA, 700mA, 1050mA circuit boards he is also selling separate in it. Smart move!
    I have a few of those 700mA boards and they perform nicely..

Quote Originally Posted by Krit View Post
    I don't know they use PWM for multi steps or not.
    Kai's page says it does not use PWM so it is flicker free.

Quote Originally Posted by kanarie
    I think it is the same design as the one from DX BUT with the 350mA, 700mA, 1050mA circuit boards he is also selling separate in it. Smart move!
    I have a few of those 700mA boards and they perform nicely..
    I don't see the 350/700/1050 boards being sold separately on Kai's site. Where did you see that, I'd like to buy some of those boards.

Flashaholic

+1. for Kaidomain from me.
    "I hate quotes. Tell me what you know." -Ralph Waldo Emmerson
    Greg at Brightguy.com rocks! Thanks for all the great service.

Banned

That would be cool if I could plug any old 12V battery charger into it and charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpk View Post
    Kai's page says it does not use PWM so it is flicker free.
    Heard that before!

I agree. My first and last dealings with Kai were not even close to good. I should have just thrown the money in the gutter. Horrible customer service. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Just got my latest light from Kai after a month wait.

It's the Venture show here: https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Prod...px?TranID=1254

I am impressed with the output, the fact that it has high and low and it's runtime (3 hr. high, 10 hr. low). I did notice that the edge of the LED seems to have some heat damage from a wayward soldering iron, but it doesn't appear to affect the beam or output.

I compared the throw last night to my SL PP 4AA and the Venture easily bests it in throw and spill and it's quite a bit smaller too. It's nice to finally see some single 18650 lights showing up with regulation. I hope more single 18650 lights are produced with regulation.

Very nice light!

Having said all this, I'm still laying off kaidomain for awhile due to slow turn around and poor communication with customers.

Flashaholic*
    Live: Paramaribo, Suriname, South America / Study: Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Looks like an E1 head on a VG body with SF switch ?

IT's ALIVE !!!