polishing cell

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
This video shows the UP6 robot polishing titanium and SS 304.

The 3 HP baldor buffer is running on a VFD set to 45 Hz. That puts the 16" wheels at about 3/4 of 1800 RPM. A good surface speed for 6/4 titanium. It is easy to heat it up if you push hard and run the wheel too fast.

You can't understand what I am saying in the video so I will type it here; The polishing starts on the right (closer) sisal wheel that has a fast cutting black polish for SS. The other wheel has brown polish that leaves a shiny surface.

The robot keeps the part moving while it is touching the wheel, even when it is being inserted and retracted. That wheel cuts fast and easily leaves flat spots if I use it by hand unless I mount the part on an electric drill.

To play the youtube polishing videos in order just click on "Play All Videos" on the right side of the page.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=81777DB16C99E605

Cheers

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude! Your new nickname should be Jimmy Neutron :drool: . Where in the world does one get robotics like that to do his work for him?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not a married man are you? :D

Too funny! How long did it take you to program that?

My wife might say I was married . . . to the robot. :rolleyes:

It took me four thick manuals to get the basics. From there I just started playing with it in the evenings. Note the big comfy chair! :nana:

The last round of parts were programmed in just two days. I got the hang of it now.

Cheers

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

Just above the "Play All Videos" on the right side of the page, is "more playlists". There is one there showing the machining center and lathe. However, I warn you, they are dry. :tinfoil:

Cheers
Dave

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, that video is just simply rediculously AWESOME!
What amaze me is all the alignment to the various fixtures that you have.

BTW: What is that nice looking TR lathe in the begining of one video?

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey what can I possibly say that hasn't been said? Slick Dave, as slick as I've ever seen!!

Karl

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
modamag, the lathe is a 9" South Bend Model A Toolroom bench lathe I picked up last year. It came with every attachment they offered back in 1934.

It is too small for my needs so I am looking for a much bigger manual lathe now. It is in great condition and has a good headstock but the bed ways are too worn out, needs to be reground.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT

Jonathan, what a great job you did with the National Geographic flashlight show! I really enjoyed the part in your garage and the cool part at the end about your grandfather. :twothumbs

I also really enjoyed the entire show and all that Larry and Jim had to say. Good job to all of you. Thanks, I think you all did a good job of representing CPF. Anyone on-line that wants to find us can do it if they try and they will try because many of them now know that there are others out there with our passion.

Cheers
Dave

Stan671

Enlightened
Very interesting videos, Data ... not dry at all. I love to watch this kind of stuff. Thanks for making the videos.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto

OT

Jonathan, what a great job you did with the National Geographic flashlight show! I really enjoyed the part in your garage and the cool part at the end about your grandfather. :twothumbs

I also really enjoyed the entire show and all that Larry and Jim had to say. Good job to all of you. Thanks, I think you all did a good job of representing CPF. Anyone on-line that wants to find us can do it if they try and they will try because many of them now know that there are others out there with our passion.

Cheers
Dave

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me how long the videos are please? I am on dialup and videos can take FOREVER! :mecry: Some links to videos here at CPF I have clicked on seem to lock up my computer as well but I would really like to give these a try if they wont take all night to download with my super slow dialup service.

Ken