Modded 2AA mag to SSC P4

naga

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post here :p

Been wanting to do this for a while. I was inspired by all the other mods people have posted here.

Anyway here it is:

stock vs modded
20070524_0578.jpg

Head off and temperature probe on heatsink
20070527.jpg

LED reflector (i stuffed up the alignment quit badly)
20070602_0626.jpg

runtime/temp graph (ambient @ 21 degrees):
minimag2aamod.jpg

I used a BB rev4 917ma from sandwich shoppe for this mod which draws 1.6amps from my 2AA nimh batteries. Runs for around 1 hour at full power then goes into a dim mode for an unknown amount of time

I thought i'd try improve on the heatsinking i've seen in other mods around here. I used 1.6mm copper plate as my switch rather than the emmiter pcbs everyone else has been using.

umm... not much else to say about it. I got the weird looking fraen reflector from cutter electronics needed some modification to fit.Hope to replace the crappy polycarbonate lens later and that'll be it!

Was also wondering does anyone know if 62 degrees next to the emitter is too high?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Sounds cool !

Oh, and welcome to CandlePowerForums.

U R gonna' fit right in !

:twothumbs

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m not sure on how the heatsinking is improved :thinking:
normally the sink is inside the housing acting as the switch also. When activated, the sink part makes contact to the body and thus the heat gets spread away on a much larger surface.
Here it seems the copper disc sits inside the head with not being able to give the heat away.

... but I agree on the pcb part. When doing such mods, I also used thick sinks instead, but also pushing again the body from the inside.

naga

Newly Enlightened
I m not sure on how the heatsinking is improved :thinking:
normally the sink is inside the housing acting as the switch also. When activated, the sink part makes contact to the body and thus the heat gets spread away on a much larger surface.
Here it seems the copper disc sits inside the head with not being able to give the heat away.

... but I agree on the pcb part. When doing such mods, I also used thick sinks instead, but also pushing again the body from the inside.

yep i got 3 copper discs to make up the same shape as the stock maglite switch. so ye the switch is the same shape