Spencer's Sound Sensitive Projector

chuck

Newly Enlightened
I just found out there's a Spencer's within 100 miles of me (I live in a rural area) and I went there yesterday.

They actually carried this little LASER projector that's sound sensitive...it basically makes squiggles on the wall, to the beat of music. Very neat, but at <1mw rated, I wouldn't think it would be very visible...and certainly not in a large area.

I was thinking of rebuilding it for my Church project...has anyone had one of these? Is there room inside for a higher powered LASER? Can it be disassembled without self-destructing? Has anyone got one sitting on a shelf, collecting dust?

00583179.zoom.a.jpg

This isn't the right one...this one is $40, where the other one is only $20...but I must admit that this gizmo fascinated me. I've built a spirograph projector...and it works nicely. But the randomness and response to the sounds is what is fascinating me.

-- Chuck Knight

Daedal

Newly Enlightened
I am personally interested in seeing the guts of this thing... does it have a galvo? I mean, I would assume so, but at $20, anything is possible, right?

When you do take it apart, could you take pictures of the guts and such please?

Thanx;
DDL

Kenom

Enlightened
I've got something similiar to this that I got from a mobile DJ. He gave it to me cause the red laser in it went poof and he knew I could fix electronics. I actually did tear into mine and did put a green laser into it and used it for several years before the green started to die on me. It was used for hours at a time and the duty cycle killed the diode. I will post pictures of the one's guts that I have.

Wow that's dusty. You will notice the holder for the laser right behind the two mirrors mounted on motors.

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
I was in spencer's the other day, and saw a portable pocket-sized version of that laser show. Didn't get it as I was primarily interested in the diode, and I knew it wouldn't be able to match a dvd-rw