Thinking of switching to smart phone

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I've had the itch to switch to a PDA/smart phone for awhile. The reason I haven't is because I didn't know if I'd like the size (I currently have a RAZR like everyone in the world it seems) and I really don't know who much I'd really use the PDA part of it. I'm a internet junkie and use it alot. That's the part I'd use on the phone. How much I'm not sure.

What I was looking for is possibly some thoughts from people who have switched and what you think about it.

barkingmad

Enlightened
The current PDA / smart phones are often barely bigger - I have a HTC Artemis - small, loads of features, camera, bluetooth, wifi and GPS etc.

Not quite as small as the smallest normal phones but sync's with Outlook and has a lot of features for its size.

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I'm pretty much stuck with Verizon. The phone I'm looking at is the XV6700. I don't care for any of the other phones they have. Supposedly they are coming out with a new version sometime. Jan 07 was the rumored release date but that came and gone. I figured I'd save some money and go with the current version for now.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iphone, for all it's "neat" features, is already outdated as far as phone technology itself, IMO..

Lots of nice phones out there, but remember to use them to their full potential you have to have add-ons to your plan (data, email, PDA, something)

DM51

Flashaholic
Take a look at phones that run "Pocket PC". They are one step up from smartphones, a bit bigger but not much - only because the screen is bigger. Sort of a small PDA, nothing like as clunky though.

I upgraded from a smartphone and wouldn't go back. The useful thing is it has my full diary on it as well as my contact list / address book. That means I don't need a separate PDA for my diary / appointments. In fact if I wasn't so useless with tech stuff I could have a whole lot more on it - documents, photos, e-books etc etc.

Mine is an SPV M600. It runs on the "Orange" network here in the UK, but I don't see why the same unit (or something similar) shouldn't be available in the USA too. It is quad-band so works anywhere in the world, does all my e-mail when I'm away from my office - it can be set up for push e-mail like a Blackberry. It syncs automatically with my PC when I hook it up by USB2 lead (I think it can do that remotely too, over the net). It has Bluetooth etc. Probably a whole lot of other features I haven't even found yet and wouldn't know how to work if I did.

It's 4.2" x 2.3" x 0.8" in size, with a 2.3" x 1.8" screen (2.8" diagonal measurement - a good readable size). That is pretty neat, and it doesn't cause a huge bulge in a pocket.

atm

Enlightened
I recently updated my work phone to a Palm Treo 750, and on the whole it's great but the main drawback is stability. Looking into the options this model was supposedly one of the most stable around, but so far I've had to reset it on average once a day due to a lockup. If stability is particularly important to you then be wary of the more complex devices.

Novaflash

Newly Enlightened
I just switched from a moto razr to a blackjack and so far I am happy with it. It isnt much bigger and can do alot more, so much more I will never use it all. I like streaming videos and the ability to surf the net from almost anywhere. So far it has been reliable with decent battery life (one of the big complaints I read before buying). If you are on the fence I say go ahead it will turn out to be usefull, that is what I keep telling myself.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a smartphone but I do have a crackberry for email (company supplied). I have a full sized Windows Mobile device for wireless web browsing.

If I combined them, I would stick with a unit with a real querty keyboard. Tapping on a screen and multiple key presses don't do it for me.

Iphone with the internal non replaceable battery and lack of a real keyboard plus the lack of memory expansion kill that as a viable option for me as well.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used a Treo 680 on the AT&T/Cingular network for about 2 months now. It's a pretty nice phone. I've used Palms for years, so the interface is very familiar. The integration between phone and PIM functions is very smooth. The iPhone does look pretty sweet, though.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to decide what I want now. I want pda functionality because I don't use my phone to make calls very often so I want more features to help make it worth carrying. But on the other hand I don't want a huge phone and I can't switch to a GSM only since I do want it to work when I do want to make a call. I don't like the Microsoft powered phones, mostly due to the start menu being on the top so your hand covers it when using it, they messed that up big time so I held on to my old CE 2.0 PDA until it was completely worn out. I'd like a decent camera so I don't have to carry a phone and camera but so many are stuck at 640x480.
I wouldn't get the vx8700 if I were you, the LG are just cheaply made and their car charger is a fast charger which messes up the battery, I'm going to have to buy my third battery now before my two years is up so I can get a credit toward a new phone.