Incan Smart Driver - Multi-level and Soft Start

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have built ( with help from a very smart friend ) a smart incan driver with multi-brightness level and soft start feature. The prototype driver board is small enough to fit in a housing for a Mag C. Here is some features of this smart driver :

- Three brightness level ( 100% - 60% - 30% ) PWM control
- Flashing mode
- Soft start
- Input voltage up to 20V
- Drive hotwire lamps up to 45W
- Power efficiency 99%

The whole assembly is machined to fit a Mag C as a direct drop-in to replace the stock switch. It also features a Kiu high temp. bi-pin socket for various bi-pin bulbs ( WA1111, WA1185, Philips 5761 / 7388 ). I am driving a 5761 ( 6V 30W ) lamp with excellent results. The 60% level is bright enough for most tasks and the 30% is good for around the house light. Runtime is much longer too. Since the brightness is PWM controlled, the beam is still very white on the lower levels because they are not being underdriven. :p:p

You can buy them here

PICT0037-2.jpg

PICT0038-2.jpg

Here is couple video clips of how the driver works :

Incan Smart Driver Video Clip 1

Incan Smart Driver Video clip 2

Special Notes :

1) Works only with camless reflector
2) No Soft start for ' Flashing Mode '
3) The PCB mount push button has no momentary

Last edited:

litho123

Enlightened
This looks very interesting!!

Does it limit voltage to a bulb to avoid instaflash like the AWR hotdriver does?

Example:
the 1166 will instaflash on 4 x Li-Ion cells (14.8v) without in some way limiting the incoming voltage to 12.5v.

rdh226

Enlightened
Very Cool! (aka "Hot S##t!")

A ROP-killer fer sur! (I've read a lot about the Phillips 5761...)

You'll sell a zillion of these guys, even more when you come out with a "D"-sized variant to
handle 100+Wt lights!

When do expect you'll be offering these gems?

-RDH

Um...I didn't type that .wysiwyg stuff...where the devil is that stuff coming from?

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: "Helvetica [Adobe]", "Lucida [B&H]", "Arial [monotype]", "Helvetica [Adobe]", "Helvetica [Adobe]"; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
litho123 : The Vin = Vout. I don't want the burden of an extra battery in a Mag C to provide the LDO voltage regulation. You 'll have to adjust the exact driving voltage to your expect level of overdrive to the bulb. The flat discharge of LiIon cells will produce a flat output until the very last minutes.

frosty : The D version is in the works. You may see added features such as voltage regulation.

rdh226 : I have no idea whether the driver can handle up to 100W or not. The FET I am using has a rating of 42A. Just not sure whether the junction temp. of 175C will handle the 100W lamp.

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grr, one of the reasons we wanted a circuit that fit inside a C Kiu is for the old D Mags that take C Kiu kits and this won't work...

Plus with your C Li-ions, ROP is now the standard bulb rather than any bipin. Though at least this should make the brighter 5761 a single-click bulb. My only suggestion is to make the switch body shorter so cutdown tailcaps/spacers are not needed with your C-cells!

AW

Newly Enlightened
cnjl3,

I hope to get a small batch done within the next couple weeks. I am still trying to figure out the cost for a small run ( machining, etching pcbs, SMD components ). I 'll keep the price between $60 - $70 for a complete unit.

AW

Rommul

Enlightened
Maybe you should consider making a PR base unit as well (I love the fact that it is all metal.).

Many people who run LED mag dropins might find it useful.

jefft

Enlightened
AW, I believe I've purchased at least one of everything you've sold here thus far. This will be another item. I'm pretty sure quite a few of these will move.

AW

Newly Enlightened
bfg9000,

You 'll get a lot more choice of bulbs with a bi-pin base ( 1185/1331/1166 with a 3C, 1111/5761/7388/64250 with a 2C ) than a PR base ( only ROP ). The complete assembly is about 3mm shorter than the stock switch. I can't make it shorter because I 'll have to fit the whole board inside.

AW

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the privilege of playing with this prototype flashlight this afternoon, and can attest to the fact that it works flawlessly. :thumbsup: The soft start works great, and the three levels are very nicely spaced.. The "flashing" mode also works very well.. Well done AW! :twothumbs

cnjl3

Enlightened
This sounds like there is a low voltage cut off?
If so, at what point or percentage of Vin - does it shut down?
Sounds like a winner - I need incandescent regulation on my C size hosts.
popcorn.gif

The flat discharge of LiIon cells will produce a flat output until the very last minutes.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Grox,
cnjl3,

This new driver does not have LDO voltage regulation ( don't want the burden of an extra battery to provide the higher voltage above the bulb voltage for the regulation to work ). There is no low voltage warning because this is intended for use with protected LiIon cells.

AW

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread!

AW - Does this driver remember the last setting? Apologies if this was covered in the vids. I haven't seen them yet.

Oh, and a D size with V reg. would be awesome!! :grin2: