LED types/brightest Flashlight help

Bob_lahblah

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I an very green to the expansive world of high powered flashlights. For my birthday I was given a Surefire G2 Nitrolon. Now it is very bright but i was blown away when I read the bulb life to be 60min. Am I reading this right?

I looked up the LED conversion head and it is $145.00usd (maybe a little less if i looked around online a little more)

I work in the film industry and i really want a very bright flashlight/torch it is useful in dark sound stages and I want one with some good throw. However I would like an LED "bulb".

I have been reading and the Cree seem to be the best/brightest. Is this right?

Could someone briefly explain the different types of LED's, and suggest the top 10 or 15 Brightest LED flashlights/torches.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!!

First off, the bulb in your G2. Batteries will last about an hour in that one. Bright, but not long lasting.

Cree and Seoul are the most up-to-date LED lights right now. Either one would work pretty well, IMO, depending on the light they are in.

As far as recommending lights, I've found that on a dark set MOST of the folks were using Minimags. Bright isn't the most-desired option, and an X5T did me pretty well. As far as best and brightest, I'd say the U-04 Barbolight throws best for a standard LED. 27LT-S is a good all around light, and Surefire's L4 is a great bright flood light.

Bob_lahblah

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a bright light to read numbered tags on lights hanging from lighting grids overhead. i have been using a mini mag but it is just to dim. Thanks for the suggestion, this forum is a very good resource. Are there any brands of LEDs or flashlights that are very poor quality or tend to malfunction?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Bob_lahblah and welcome to CPF:)

The brightest Led-lights you can find are Custom-builds with multiple Led-arrays.
But a question at your direction: what's your budget?

Best regards

____
Tom

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What is you budget?

The Ultrafire C2 at Dealextreme or Kaidomain is a pretty good thrower(about 6000 Lux, Review) at a low price($22.35+S/H). Uses batteries between 3.6-9V so the 2 CR123s in you G2 can be used.

The MRV has amazing throw(10000+ Lux, but throws twice as far as the D-Mini) for a LED. The Lumapower D-Mini and the M1 are both good throwers(7000-9000 Lux) but not as impressive as the MRV. But a asperical lens mod will out throw the MRV(but requires your own work and money).

I'd say keep your G2 normal as a backup. I think this drop in will work with the G2.

Welcome to CPF!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
mrv is nice but i think i saw the runtime chart to be something like 30minutes

does it have to be a small light ? maybe a 2D mag with seoul ...many ways to do this ,custom - malkoff - 6ex with aa adapter or straight up 3d mag with dropin

or get the elektrolumens stunner 4hrs high runtime and plenty of light but its $500 and need recharchables and charger run you extra $160

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
heres your surfire g2 review

if the light you have now does the job but you want more runtime i suggest a L2d or P3d as they have close throw numbers and higher output numbers + multilevel ...use energizer E2 lithiums which are available evrywhere ...review using these shown in red as LithiumAAL91 ..you get over 2hours

if you need a bit more throw maybe lumapower m1 but its just 80 minutes runtime , im assuming you will stick with cr123a you can buy in stores ... but more throw and output than your g2 , you can get it here + you get 5% discount when code entered " cpf2006 "

Last edited:

lumenal

Enlightened
How about the Fenix L2D CE? Its got multi levels, can be very bright (Cree LED), and has decent throw.

Its around $55, and the best thing is, it runs on 2 AA batteries (very cheap and readily available).

Its a great utility light - I love mine. :D

Leathermanwave

Newly Enlightened
How about the Fenix L2D CE? Its got multi levels, can be very bright (Cree LED), and has decent throw.

Its around $55, and the best thing is, it runs on 2 AA batteries (very cheap and readily available).

Its a great utility light - I love mine. :D
+1 :grin2:

Bob_lahblah

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all the suggestions, i am interested in the "drop in" cree replacement I think i will try that first.

Gene43

Enlightened
I just finished my first prototype P60 style (SSC P4) dropin for Surefires last night. It has an 800ma output for 2+ hrs. It will work on 3-9v input but needs about 4v for max output. I'm guestimating 180-200 lumens at that input. It gets quite warm after 1/2 hr. The 6Z body is a small heatsink.