Panasonic DMC-FX100 : Where can I get one?

DM51

Flashaholic
This has just been launched and I have heard good things about it:

Panasonic DMC-FX100 Compact Digital Camera
Leica 28mm wide-angle lens
3.6x optical zoom
12.2-Megapixels

Anyone know where I can get one fast?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure I got a couple inside my trench coat here I can sell you cheap - say $20 each? :crackup: Seriously though I don't think they are in to any retailers yet - at least not in the U.S. if anywhere. I'd count on anything from a couple weeks to about a month.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please tell me where you hear good things about it. Panasonic sensors are known to be noisier then some and I shudder to think how bad it might be with 12.2 megapixels crammed into one. I hope I'm wrong because I like some of the advertised features. Panasonic's are known for their good lenses so perhaps they can do justice to a 28mm compact zoom.

This has just been launched and I have heard good things about it:

Panasonic DMC-FX100 Compact Digital Camera
Leica 28mm wide-angle lens
3.6x optical zoom
12.2-Megapixels

Anyone know where I can get one fast?

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
In my experience, last years models from Panasonic mostly took care of the noise issues. They were certainly much improved. I would imagine they're even better now.

BVH

Flashaholic
3.5x's optical zoom is, in my opinion, not nearly enough. Digital zoom, in my opinion, is worthless and doesn't compensate for lack of optical zoom. I'd want at least 8 or 10x's optical. My $0.02 worth.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Keep in mind that this is a compact camera. Not one where it's likely that you can squeeze in a powerful optical zoom. The vast majority of cameras in that size range have a straight 3X optical. There are some exceptions, like the Sony T-100, which has a 5X optical.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that this is a compact camera. Not one where it's likely that you can squeeze in a powerful optical zoom. The vast majority of cameras in that size range have a straight 3X optical. There are some exceptions, like the Sony T-100, which has a 5X optical.
Panasonic DMC-TZ1/2/3 -- 10x optical zoom in a compact body.

And Panasonic's sensor are NOT more noisy than comparable (size and MP) sensors of other manufacturers -- it's just that Panasonics uses a more aggressive noise reduction algorithm that leaves different artifacts than other manufacturers.

IMO, the great optics and the noise reduction actually produce fairly good images; also, the noise reduction algorithm can be turned down on most models, and the noise is of a nature that can be easily removed in post.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
A more capable camera has the ability to take pictures in conditions that other cameras can't and we consider them noisy? Nope - goes back to the user. Learn to use it or get a point and shoot. I read too many reviews where there were complaints about noise from some, but raves about performance from others under less than ideal lighting conditions. That tells me that it's the user, not the camera.

3x optical is very limited and most of the unknowing public buys these little shirt pocket cameras not knowing their limitations. Those that do understand what they're getting will be perfectly happy. With the Pannies, set the camera at 3 MP or less and get a boost in optical quality zoom (Panasonic calls it Extended Optical Zoom).

The TZ1/3 is in a league of it's own. It's the smallest "super zoom" out there. While not as small as the sexy 3xers, it'll still fit in a shirt pocket and is an incrediably capable little camera with the best image stabilization on the market - they invented it.

I was just going to agree with the previous comment about 12 MP being crammed on a small sensor, but I just checked the specs on the 100 and it uses a larger CCD. I still don't know about 12 MP, but the extended optical zoom on this camera goes up to 7x now @ 3MP or less. High sensity mode has been raised to an ISO of 6400!! In addition to the Mega IS, it has an automatic Intelligent ISO control.

This camera is looking really sweet, but I can't find any pricing or availability. I'm guessing that it's $500+.