~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics] /// 6/27 UPDATED PICTURES\\\

cryhavok

Enlightened
I guess you could consider this the evolution of my original crowned cyclops

As soon as I heard that AW was selling the C-sized Li-ion cells, I knew I wanted to upgrade my aspheric lens mag to be able to use the same cell (as well as lose a few inches in length). I got in contact with Mirage_Man and he was able to whip me up something beautiful. Let me just say that anyone looking to have a maglight modded or shortened, Brian is the man to go to. :twothumbs

I've had this light for about a month now and it has been fantastic. It runs a Cree Q2 XR-E at 1500mA via a GD1500. I just received my tritium from B@rt, but unfortunately don't have any epoxy to set them into the C-sized mcClicky tailcap. Of course, it also got the glowpoxy treatment for the LED.

I've measured ~74,000 lux@1 meter. The best part is the regulation which keeps the light at this brightness level for quite a while. The Hotlips-C heatsink allows to use a E-can for holding the converter board, so the board is potted. Turned on, the light gets a little warm but that's it. The fins do a great job at dissipating the heat (although there isn't that much to dissipate in the first place).

IMG_0001-3.jpg

IMG_0002-7.jpg

IMG_0005-4.jpg

IMG_0006-7.jpg

IMG_0008-5.jpg

IMG_0011-5.jpg

Did I mention this thing is ridiculously tiny :D

I'll put up a few beamshots tonight :devil:

Last edited:

cryhavok

Enlightened
Re: ~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics]

Hmm I guess no one likes the light :thinking:

Oh well, here are the beamshots as promised. I also took a few of my mini-mini HID (overdriven 10w). Unfortunately I live in a city with a lot of light pollution, but these shots depict what the night time sky actually looks like (i.e. they are not overexposed to give false impressions)

First up:
Aspheric lens Mag shining at a tree ~250 yards (confirmed by google maps)
IMG_0001-4.jpg

Minimini HID same target
IMG_0002-8.jpg

Aspheric lens Mag shining up into the sky
IMG_0004-5.jpg

miniminiHID shining up into the sky
IMG_0003-2.jpg

aspheric lens mag shining at tree ~80 feet away
IMG_0005-5.jpg

miniminiHID same target
IMG_0006-8.jpg

Both shining at the same time
IMG_0007-7.jpg

Both shining at the sky
IMG_0008-6.jpg

As you can see, it still looks like the HID wins in the absolute throw category. However, the Mag does have a much better tint so color rendition is better.

I wish I had a 3" SMO reflector for my FM3H-2 so the HID could REALLY throw!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics] NOW with BEAMSHOTS vs. MiniminiHID

Ah man those are such cool lights. The more I look at them the more I want to build one.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ~!~New host for Aspheric Mag~!~[many pics] NOW with BEAMSHOTS vs. MiniminiHID

Damn that's a nice Mag!!! That's some crazy throw for an LED!

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

the neg wants one.

but it's WAY outta mah price range! :p

--neg

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow now I wish I had an Aspheric lens to play with the C Sized Li Ion is the way to go

Great light Cryhavok

cryhavok

Enlightened

Thanks fellas...I've been having a lot of fun with the hobby lately :twothumbs

Here's one more pic of the HID and Cree maglight for completion of the comparison.

IMG_0001-5.jpg

LowTEC

Enlightened

Oh just found out it can reach 470M (514 yards?), with very dim reflection, but I think I need better eye sight to see what I'm flashing at :lol: I would say 400 meters and still very visible.

A-mag-1.jpg

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Very nice job... and a sweet looking host by MM.. :thumbsup:
john

RustyKnee

Enlightened

:wow::rock::clap::bow::thumbsup::twothumbs

looks great! I want one

Stu

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just ordered a lens from surplus shed. I have a host begging for the LSM: Light Saber Mod :naughty:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1!!!!

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Havok; how about a pic of the GITD treatment? My lens should be here by next week. Woo Hoo!!

jlomein

Enlightened

where do you get that unbelievably cool C sized tailclickie? It would work great if I could use it for a 2C ROP build using two AW C sized lion cells.

5.0Trunk

Enlightened

Wow... Very nice lights. Can you tell me about the HID? I have a FM 700L and was wondering how\if I can make a HID from it.

Thanks

MrMimizu

Enlightened

Modamag has them in the custum B/S/T.
Pretty sure that's where I saw it.

where do you get that unbelievably cool C sized tailclickie? It would work great if I could use it for a 2C ROP build using two AW C sized lion cells.