Boker Vulkanus knife sharpener

jbosman1013

Enlightened
i would not suggest using this unless its for kitchen knives, this type of sharpener will produce a large bur on one side of the blade. how sharp do you want your knives is the next question.

Mad1

Enlightened
Most people like to use the Spyderco sharpmaker. Like jbosman1013 said if it's for kitchen knives then it will be ok, just dont forget to strop them afterwards.

cutlerylover

Banned
Ifd you go to Boker's website...bokerusa I believe it is, they have a video of this sharpener in case your interested....I have no expereicne with it myself...I own a sharpmaker and love it, its popular for a good reason!

jbosman1013

Enlightened
+1 for spyderco products they work very well and for stroping products check out a company called www.handamerican.com they are in the process of re-doing there web site but they are a good source for sharpening products. I hope some of this helps

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would not suggest using this unless its for kitchen knives, this type of sharpener will produce a large bur on one side of the blade. how sharp do you want your knives is the next question.

I've never felt a burr using a simpler but much cheaper device. Since it is removing material from both sides og th knife at the same time how does it get a burr on one side?
What does reversing the blade or device do to the burr?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
the bur occures to the side sharpened last to remove the bur you must strop, even with fine grit like 4000 you will still get a bur the way to test is by running the blade in a stroping motion on your finger nail if it scrapes you have a bur. p.s. make sure of your edge angle

Mad1

Enlightened
Stropping will remove the bur from the blade you can bearly see it with your eye but it's there. You dont really want to cut into a nice peice of meat only to leave fragments of metal in it. Stropping this ruff bur off will give the edge a nice clean cutting edge.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bur occures to the side sharpened last to remove the bur you must strop, even with fine grit like 4000 you will still get a bur the way to test is by running the blade in a stroping motion on your finger nail if it scrapes you have a bur. p.s. make sure of your edge angle
That's why I asked the question. I'm a klutz and a similar device is the only thing I've *ever* found that I can get a knife sharp with.
The knife fits between two surfaces and as long as it it is tangent to these survices material is being removed from both side at the same time. There is no last side and while I can feel a burr with things that just do one side at a time, I can't with this gadget.