Best Flashlight for Throw?

doccjsb

Newly Enlightened
I've got a number of Surefires and a couple of Fenix P2Ds but I'm looking for something different, either LED or Incan, that has extremely far throw. Even if it is M*G light 2 or 3 D cell sized, I need something that has very little to no sidespill and can throw a beam no bigger than a 3 foot circle at 100 yards or more. Does such a light exist? Many, many years ago, a Rayovac Sportsman's lantern (the old kind that sat atop a large battery) used to work for this application, but how about now? I would like to keep the cost at $100 or less. I'm looking for the most extremely narrow beam possible. Most spotlights I have used have a hugely wide beam.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I haven't posted in years, but I remembered where to go when I need help.

Last edited:

RustyKnee

Enlightened
the aspheric and cree modded mags (and others) are good for throw. do a search for aspheric and you'll find em.

I am waiting for RcatR's and Ledeans ones.

Stu

Norm

Retired Administrator
the aspheric and cree modded mags (and others) are good for throw. do a search for aspheric and you'll find em.

I am waiting for RcatR's and Ledeans ones.

Stu
I'm with Rusty on this one, anything with a lens is going to be all throw with no side spill at all.
Norm

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
My Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon like others have posted before, gives the best bang for the buck. It can throw shine a beam visible at 100m (33ft) for the price of under US$30! :twothumbs But its a Luxeon I LED so you mightwant to look around for the newer cree aspherical torches.

mdocod

Flashaholic
if you already have a 2D mag laying around, and a NIMH charger, you could definitely come up with an ROP for under $100...

most throw for the dollar right now would probably be to pick up a 35W HID spotlight from the sams auction site, if they are still available.. I know they were frequently going for $40-70.

doccjsb

Newly Enlightened
While I appreciate your responses, perhaps I should note that I am not a modder and know absolutely nothing about electronics. I was looking for an off-the-shelf production light with extreme throw and under a C-note in price.

I am not capable of taking a stainless steel tiki torch body, aspheric lense and somehow making a flashlight out of it.

Thanks.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is priceless!!! I have not laughed this hard at work ina long time!!!

All I keep picturing is "Mcguiver takes the Tiki torch... " LOL

I am not capable of taking a stainless steel tiki torch body, aspheric lense and somehow making a flashlight out of it.

Thanks.

abinok

Newly Enlightened
Ive got 2 and 3 D aspherical mags for less than $100
All throw, and no spill is practically the definition of this light.
just need to know what color.

Beam size is 9" at 25ft...
Which would extrapolate to:
9ft at 100yds
18ft at 200yds
27ft at 300yds

Here is my aspherical mag from 6ft compared to a Fenix L2D CE on Turbo at 2 ft.
please note that this is only the hotspot from the fenix... the spill beam is much larger...
Not exactly the best pic for throw... but you can see the intensity for sure.
fenixpidturbovsaspherical.jpg

Last edited: