Best cheap tactical 2 CR123 incan. flashlight

AC_Doctor

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a couple of cheap 2 CR123 incan. tactical style flashlights. Have any ideas??? TIA...

AC

Confederate

Enlightened
The Surefire G2 is the one you want, though I think you might want to look at some of the new Cree LED offerings.

carrot

Flashaholic
I would be in agreement with Confederate that the best cheap CR123 tactical flashlight is the Surefire G2, or the Streamlight Scorpion for about $35/ea. Higher up in price, around you have your pick of the Surefire 6P or Streamlight TL-3 (3x123) for around $60/ea.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Agree wholeheartedly about Maxfire!

Mine is even better than stock by taking off the rubber grip and using "Sport Tape" on it. Makes it feel GREAT in hand!

Also in many situations I prefer a clickie and Maxfire is a Forward clickie :rock:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either the SF G2, G3 or the smaller Wolf-Eyes such as the Sniper are great choices. These are all truly tactical lights and easily upgradeable.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would be in agreement with Confederate that the best cheap CR123 tactical flashlight is the Surefire G2, or the Streamlight Scorpion for about $35/ea.

Even Cheaper = Brinkmann Maxfire LX $17

Can be found at Target and Wal-Mart. (The ones at Target come with a belt pouch. Nothing fancy, but it works).

I have a couple of Surefire G2s and a Streamlight Scorpion also. But in terms of practicality, the Brinkmann model is basically a less expensive G2, with a clickie, and with the same 65 lumens of output and 1 hour runtime. With the added advantage of being easier to find. Just drive to Target or Wal-Mart.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
+1 for the Wolf Eyes Sniper or Defender, offers a aluminium body and ability to run 18650 straight out of the box (with LA change) for a similar price as the G2

cy

Flashaholic
surefire G2 wins hands down!

you get a real surefire P60 bulb inside G2, with identical beam to M2 or 6P. G2's pop up all the time on b/s/t for $25.

surefire quality and reliability for $30 new. that's a no brainer!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
surefire G2 wins hands down!

you get a real surefire P60 bulb inside G2, with identical beam to M2 or 6P. G2's pop up all the time on b/s/t for $25.

surefire quality and reliability for $30 new. that's a no brainer!

If the Surefire name and a low price are both equally important to you.

But if you can live without the name, Brinkmann Maxfire LX is the better choice in terms of price ($17) and availability (Any Target or Wal-Mart store). In terms of performance, no difference vs. a Surefire G2; except for the Maxfire's use of a clickie. But you still get a momentary-on feature.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That's not ENTIRELY true monocrom...

The beam of a P60 is very nearly without peer. Just a wicked flood of light.

The Maxfire is good... but it's NOT P60 class.

That said, I like my Maxfire with the Sport Tape grip. And I'll like it EVER so much more when I convince a DX Cree to fit and work in it!!!

cy

Flashaholic
thanks PBJM.. yep beam from a P60 bulb is good as it gets for a 2x CR123 light. an amazing amount of engineering has gone into a P60 bulb.

G2 is one of the best bargains in the flashlight world! price out a P60 bulb and two surefire cells and you'd pay close to $20.

PlayboyJoeShmoe; said:
That's not ENTIRELY true monocrom...

The beam of a P60 is very nearly without peer. Just a wicked flood of light.

The Maxfire is good... but it's NOT P60 class.

That said, I like my Maxfire with the Sport Tape grip. And I'll like it EVER so much more when I convince a DX Cree to fit and work in it!!!

Norm

Retired Administrator
+1 for the Wolf Eyes Sniper or Defender, offers a aluminium body and ability to run 18650 straight out of the box (with LA change) for a similar price as the G2
Definitely the way to go the best quality you can get at this price.
Norm

Monocrom

Flashaholic
thanks PBJM.. yep beam from a P60 bulb is good as it gets for a 2x CR123 light. an amazing amount of engineering has gone into a P60 bulb.

G2 is one of the best bargains in the flashlight world! price out a P60 bulb and two surefire cells and you'd pay close to $20.

Sorry Gentlemen, but have to disagree with both of you. My first Surefire was a C2 model. Saw the Maxfire at Target while visiting a friend. Couldn't believe that it could be as good as my much more expensive C2, in terms of performance anyway. Boy was I wrong! I took both to work, tried them out, and realized there was no difference in terms of performance!

A few months later, I got a good deal on two Surefire G2s. So I went for it! (Any self-respecting flasaholic would). :D

Once again there was zero difference, in terms of performance, between the Maxfire and the G2.