Surefire-Leef w/ Wolf-Eyes D26 HO 170 lumen LED (pics, beamshots, info)

Enlightened
The postal worker just dropped off the LED I ordered from PTS. I couldn't wait to install it. It's still plenty bright outside still. I'll get practical beamshots tonight and my initial impression. :twothumbs

The light consists of a Surefire 6P/9P head, Wolf-Eyes D26 HO 170 lumen drop-in, Leef 2x123 body, Leefgrip, Surefire Z49 tailcap and 2x AW RCR123's. BTW, the batteries do rattle in the body but it's not what you think. With the LED in there is a teeny tiny gap between the head and body.

Leef5.jpg

Leef4.jpg

Surefire spring not pictured
Leef3.jpg

Leef2.jpg

Leef1.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
Re: Surefire/Leef lego w/ WE D26 HO LED (pics and beamshots)

Here's a wall beamshot for those that require seeing one. :nana: I was about 2 feet away from the door. Practical shots in a few hours. Stay tuned.

WEwallshot_filtered.jpg

L-R: DX "U2" Cree, Gladius w/ SSC, WE HO 170 Cree
beamshots_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened

Here are some more practical pictures taken tonight. This light will be used on duty so I took pictures in situations I would use them in..Obviously the situation will vary but you can see what I mean. Flashlights aren't meant to be judged on walls. :p
I compared a few of the situations with a modded Gladius I have. The spill on the Wolf-Eyes module is wider. It's not so focused like the Gladius. I don't think it's necessarily brighter, it's just more usuable. Even the Wolf-Eyes HO lamp doesn't come close to the DX "U2" Cree light. Nothing has beat it yet in my arsenal.

WE through car window
WEthroughwindow_filtered.jpg

Side of shed
WEsideshed_filtered.jpg

Kitchen
WEkitchen_filtered.jpg

Hallway
WEhallway_filtered.jpg

Shed fighting against outdoor light
WEbackyardshed_filtered.jpg

Side of house
WEalley_filtered.jpg

Candle mode
Candlemode_filtered.jpg

Gladius kitchen
Gladiuskitchen_filtered.jpg

Gladius hallway
Gladiushallway_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like your beamshots
It looks like I need to try on of those CREE Drop in's

thanks

Enlightened

Thanks skalomax. I try to make them "real world" as possible. Gives me a better idea about what the light is capable of.

Initial impressions so far... It's definitely useable but it could be better. More output would be nice. I do have to give it two thumbs up for build quality. It has a very stout build. Overall it's nice for what it is but again, it could be better (output wise).

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great shots 021411, thanks for sharing.

Do you mind measuring the hotspot diameter @ 1 meter please? I want to compare with the Dx cree and Litemania's V2 that I currently have. TIA.

sharpone

Newly Enlightened

021411, I know this is off topic, but do you drive a nissan 200sx s14? Nice surefire btw!

tman11

Newly Enlightened

Great beam shots! I just received my D26 drop ins (130 lum & 170 HO) and loaded them into my SF C2 and 6P. I am weeping from the beauty as I type this. :mecry:I will never go back to incans again. My fenix P3D is seems to be brighter than both somehow. I'll try to post some beam shots as soon as I get the chance.

Can anyone recommend good batteries for my setup to maximaize performance? I'm using CR123 X 2 and have never purchased rechargeables.

Thanks.

BBL

Enlightened

Is heat a problem wenn running continuosly?

The front of the led assembly has a rim that is smaller than the body - does this rim rest on the front glass?

Enlightened

jumpstat,
I'll get the 1 meter measurement for you..

BBL,
As far as heat generated on continuous on, it does get nice and warm to the touch. It's not unbearable heat or anything like that. Yes, the rim does rest on the glass underneath.

sharpone,
Sure don't drive a 200SX.

Last edited:

Enlightened

jumpstat, your 1 meter measurement as you requested. I apologize a head of time since I don't have the proper setup for doing accurate measurements. This is all approximate.
The hash marks are a bit off center but just picture them a bit lower on the hotspot and maybe a bit over to the left. It starts around the 2" mark and ends near the 10". So we're looking at a hotspot around the 203mm. However, that's what the camera is picking up. Using my eyes to determine the actual hotspot came up with a measurement of around 6 inches. It's hard to tell. So we can say it's anywhere from 6-8" at 1 meter.
Again, I don't have the proper setup for lux readings, etc to determine the actual brightest point. This was done with the good ol' eyeball.

hotspot_filtered.jpg

Last edited:

Enlightened
Re: Surefire-Leef w/ Wolf-Eyes D26 HO 170 lumen LED (pics and beamshots)

tman11, the AW's are what I am currently running. I'm in the process of cycling the batteries and will report non-scientific runtimes when I get a chance.

PS- Good to see another Houstonian on here. :twothumbs

zapper

Enlightened

Say, I'm in Houston also, on the North side at Veterans Memorial and Beltway 8. I've got a couple of DX Cree drop-in's we may be able to compare against as well as a few others. PM me if you guys are up for it later this week or something. Great info and beam shots 021411!
:twothumbs

Enlightened

Say, I'm in Houston also, on the North side at Veterans Memorial and Beltway 8. I've got a couple of DX Cree drop-in's we may be able to compare against as well as a few others. PM me if you guys are up for it later this week or something.
:twothumbs

I'm busy this week but if I ever get a break I'll let you know..

I just got through doing a runtime test with the setup and freshly charged batteries.
RUNTIME: Nothing scientific other than starting my stopwatch when I turned on the light. I am running 2x AW's 750mAh 3.7v 123's (new). They were fresh off the charger.
I got approx. 1 hour 6 minutes when the light shut off. Normally 1 hour is my requirement which it did meet but I want it to go longer. I guess I have to bump up the mAh.. ie find larger capacity RCRs.
I'm currently testing generic 3v Chinese protected RCRs right now. They are labeled 1000mAh. Will report back in a few..

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Is heat a problem wenn running continuosly?

The front of the led assembly has a rim that is smaller than the body - does this rim rest on the front glass?
No, there is a retaining ring to hold the lens and the shoulder of the LED dropin sits against the ring not the lens.
Norm

Enlightened
Bleh! Those cheap generic Chinese RCRs are crap. They dropped out at 37-38 minutes.. I also tested them on my Gladius. Same thing happened. It threw the low batt indicator around that time.
Time to hunt for better batteries. For now the AW's will have it's place.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also in Houston.
I'm planning on getting the WE Cree 170 lumen and running it in a PILA GL3R.

Should be an awsome belt mounted duty light.

Flash007

Enlightened
With AW rcr123's high current 750mAh and Wolf-Eyes Cree 130 lumens 3,7V-13V, I've measured exactly 90 minutes runtime before shutoff.

Estimation with the HO 170 lumens : ~60 minutes.

I've buyed the 130 and 170 lumens dropins, but the 170 doen't work. :mecry:
I cannot test it. :sigh:

Mike will send me another 170 lumens dropin when available again.