max for aa's

Wmpy

Newly Enlightened
I have a good source for AA's. I would like to get a light that has max power and not too big. I use a AA maglite every day at home and for work. I have put a led in from nifgr-eyes and like the result. Any suggestions?:thinking:

I have a good source for AA's. I would like to get a light that has max power and not too big. I use a AA maglite every day at home and for work. I have put a led in from nifgr-eyes and like the result. Any suggestions?:thinking:

The Minimag LED or a Streamlight 4AA Luxeon. They work very well on alkaline batteries.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What's you price range and what do you need it for?

You can find AA lights ranging form less the $5 to over $100, from one mode to over 16, and build quality form crap to overbuilt.

(the below light all use Cree or Seoul LEDs)
For cheap lights, go for something on Dealextreme like the, MTE 1AA, Ultrafire C3 (2AA version, extension tube), Jetbeam CL-E, Dexlight XV
For medium price, the Fenix L1D-CE or the L2D-CE(interchangeable bodies), Jetbeam MkIIX, Dexlight (similar to the Jetbeam),
For expensive, something like the Lumapower M3,

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:
If you're used to standard Minimag, the Minimag 2AA LED makes a night and day difference. It's important you get the factory LED Minimag, because the common Nite-Ize drop in does not even compare.

The cost is around $24, which includes belt holster and Duracell alkaline batteries. You can get it at most dept stores and you get a little over three hours with a set of alkaline batts. It doesn't have a string attaching hole in the end and the overall length is slightly longer. The operation is exactly the same as your old Minimag. Just like every other Mag products, it comes with a lifetime factory warranty.

Fenix L2D-CE sets you back about $60 shipped. It has four level dimming and two blinking modes, but I find it is something you'll need to read the manual to figure out and if you're going to lend it to someone, you may have to give him a lesson.

It comes with a lifetime warranty through the manufacturer, Fenix, China. Local warranty is completely up to the dealer you purchase from. (Which could be anything from a few months to lifetime of the .com dealer)

Fenix L2D/L1D-CE instructions:
"[T]o use "Turbo" mode (Max/Strobe), simply make sure the head is tight against the body. To switch betwen Max and Strobe, partially press the tail switch in until the light blinks off. When you release the switch the light will be in the next mode. To use "General" mode (Low/Medium/High/SOS), make sure the head is not tight against the body tube - loosen it 1/2 turn from tight - then half-press the switch as described earlier to switch between modes. To quickly put the light in Max mode, just tighten the head again while keeping the light on. Dimming is achieved with constant current regulation circuit which means there is no flickering of the LED in dim modes. If the light is turned off for 2 seconds or more, the modes reset, starting from the beginning again the next time you turn the light on." (http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix L2D-CE sets you back about $60 shipped.
Just a note - you can get L2D CE for $52 shipped (after CP8 discount) from fenix-store.com, the owner is a member of this forum (4sevens) and his customer service is excellent (check "Cheers" section).

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Fenix L1D Cree editon or L2D Cree Edition from Fenix-store.com The user interface is really not all that complicated. I have the L1D and I really like this little light. Definitely my favorite of all the lights I own. Hmmmm, thats quite a few.

And by the way: Never lend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
+1 on the Fenix L2D-CE (that means "Cree Edition")

-- and --

+1 on buying it from 4Sevens (Dave), who is absolutely First Rate as a dealer.

:twothumbs

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be simpler to just have an on & off?:sssh:

You can transform the L1D/L2D CE into a on/off light, if you don't want the other modes. Just twist the bezel and you get the turbo mode, the light turns on after one click and turns off after second click (and it's in the brightes mode).

Just a note - you can get L2D CE for $52 shipped (after CP8 discount) from fenix-store.com, the owner is a member of this forum (4sevens) and his customer service is excellent (check "Cheers" section).

Only if you are in the US.

Otherwise, unless you're in a country where taxable purchased goods threshold is below $50.
I believe in your country, it would be $52 + $11.96 VAT + duty = ~65 USD

In the UK
$52.00 + 17.5% VAT + 3.5% duty* = ~$63 USD.

(http://www.dhl.co.uk/publish/gb/en/information/shipping/about_duty_and_vat.high.html)

Last edited:

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Only if you are in the US.

Otherwise, unless you're in a country where taxable purchased goods threshold is below $50.
I believe in your country, it would be $52 + $11.96 VAT + duty = ~65 USD

In the UK
$52.00 + 17.5% VAT + 3.5% duty* = ~$63 USD.

(http://www.dhl.co.uk/publish/gb/en/information/shipping/about_duty_and_vat.high.html)

Of course, thats assuming they check your package... :whistle: :sssh:

Btw, i'd suggest the MTE 1AA from DX for a cheap one (and i'd strongly suggest avoiding the Ultrafire C5 - bad twisty and other stuff..).

If ya wanna spend a little bit more... go fenix.

Last edited: