D mini clone

Yapo

Enlightened
woo...they finially have a cree version out...i saw the luxeon version at KD/DX(can't remember which) awhile back but i wasnt sure if it would be modable cos they didnt show any pics of the head taken off...but now i dont really see the need for it...it also doesnt look like much of a thrower from da pics and ive bought a few cheap cree/ssc lights lately from both KD & DX and they're outputs from them arent going to change much from their lights as long as they're using the same emitters...only thing i can expect is a slight variation of tint and beam pattern...so im out for this one

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like typical cheap MXDL style machining rather than the high quality of Lumapower. Definitely not HAIII and I'll bet it's not even regulated - probably just direct drive.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have two of the original lux version of this light ("LILL" bought from DX). It is direct drive, so is rather dim on primary CR123A compared to 3.7V RCR.

FYI, I modded one with a cree, one with a SSC. No matter how I adjusted the reflector, the cree'd version still produced a rather ringy beam. However, I still prefer the cree mod over the SSC - the SSC is very smooth, but has a very tight and narrow hotspot. I prefer the broader hotspot of the cree. Of course, they may have altered the reflector on this version to compensate.

Build quality on the first one I bought at DX last fall was quite good - anodized threads (so you could lock out tailcap), excellent switch, etc. In fact, the tailcap on this version fit on my D-mini (and gave me a 2-stage switch while I waited for lumapower to come out with one). The second one (bought this spring at DX) is of cheaper construction (no anodizing on threads, cheap switch, etc.). The tailcap threads no longer match the D-mini.

Certainly nowhere near D-mini quality, but not bad as a "poor man's D-mini", especially if you plan to use RCR.

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ringy beam is not that bad in the picture. I have a modded LILL with an Edison Opto and it is now my favorite EDC. I think with a CREE it will have good throw with a really good wide spot.
CREE has an ringy output in those images... An SSC version would be nice.

Walt175

Enlightened
I have a "lill" or "mini blink" I modded with a Seoul. I was able to compare it to my D-mini, and it's just as good, and half the price.
I was also able to figure out that the reflector from my Golston fit it.
With the half-stippled reflector, it has an even tighter hotspot!

gerry45

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one today.

I was looking for a rugged, powerfull, 2 modes, compact single cell, bigger reflector flashlight.

I'll compare to my P2DCE and let you know.

Thanks!

gerry45

Newly Enlightened
OK,

Received mine from Kai.

Very pleased with the size. Fits well in hand and feel very solid.

Tight focused beam. When using Ultrafire 3.7v 880mah it's brighter than my P2CDE on turbo using primary 3v.

When on low it's very close to my MTE 1xAA seoul.

Two modes works OK:
1st click = high, 2nd click = low

I think it's a great buy.
Now, i have to find a holster for ECD.

I'll try to post beam pics to compare.

gerry45

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Tried to take beamshot pics but no luck with my full auto Canon. I'll try again monday with a Canon digi rebel. i want to show how the hot spot is bright.

I can tell you that it's a very nice little thrower for 20$. The two modes is a bonus.

Like i said before, the hotspot is brighter but a little smaller than my P2CDE.

I think it will be my hunting light.

I'll keep you posted for the beamshots.