Which knives?

Freyth

Enlightened
Looking for a knife for someone who's just starting out preferably a folding knife.

What do you guys think of the 555 Mini-grip benchmade?

Valolammas

Enlightened
I'm sure you are going to get a lot of opinions on this, but it depends greatly on what you'll be using the knife for and what size & shape your hands are.

That being said, lots of people will probably tell you that you can't go wrong with the mini-Grip. I don't have a single Benchmade, but I hear they are really good knives. However, I would personally not buy a knife that has a gap between the handle and the base of the blade. That's the best part of the edge if you want both power and control. Besides, I grew up with knives that have no gap and no fingerguard whatsoever either, so that's what I'm used to. I love knives with finger choils, though, so I'm partial to certain Spydercos. Ok, so I'm biased. I'm not, however, meaning to start a Spyderco vs. Benchmade debate, because Spyderco has it's share of models with handle-blade gaps, too (e.g. I wouldn't buy a Delica either).

With that in mind, I'd recommend something like a Byrd Meadowlark (with a G-10 handle). The Byrd knives are really good bang for the buck, and I have a G-10 Meadowlark and it's a good knife. Especially for the price.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Guess it depends what he'll be using it for. The mini-grip feels great in the hand and is a pleasure to use. About the same size, a little lighter in the pocket, the Calypso Jr. ZDP might also be a good choice for a first edc. A little more spartan, the Fallkniven U2 is solid, sharp and affordable. Or spoil him with something like a buck koji hara or an mcusta damascus.

Bullzaye

Newly Enlightened
The hole in the blade is to assist with one-handed opening by placing one's thumb in the hole, and swinging the blade outward.
Tim

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a knife for someone who's just starting out preferably a folding knife.

I'd take them to a good knife store or knife show so they could see and handle a lot of different designs. I think knives are very personal and having other people pick one out for you seems shakey. I like the Spyderco's, but there's lots of good knives out there.

LowTEC

Enlightened
I still love my mini grip although I now also own the G10 Meadowlark. To be honest the Meadowlark does give you the feeling for bang for the buck. It's got G10 scale, awesome fit and finish handle and it does give you a substantial feeling when you are holding it in your hands, and the sexy snappy lock. BUT, the absolutely crappy 8CR13MOV steel is a joke, seriously. I sharpen mine to 15 degree (each side) and it literally last 1 heavy push cut into a stack of paper, yep, ONE, then the edge rolled (first time seeing rolled edge honestly). So I was like ok, this steel is a little inferior to my other 154CM and VG-10 blades so I resharpen it to 19 degree, it last better but only about 10 cardboard cuts and I already saw chippings along the edge. Seriously, it is not for cutting anything other than couple sheets of paper. Now I resharpen it to 22 degree and I have trouble to cut throw boxes smoothly with it. On the other hand my 154CM mini grip holds the 15 degree edge just fine for any work unless I try to cut throw mild steels or pry with it. I still carry the meadowlark on me though because the sexy quality handle and design and that's about it. For any real kind of work, I'll grab my mini grip. Just ordered a S30V native and I would expect that it can take quite a bit of abuse and hope the edge can last for awhile at 15 degree (or sharper :) ), will have to see about it

Conclusion, if you do use your knife for any kind of cutting, get something with 154CM or VG-10 (as proven over and over), personally haven't try anything with 440C but I would not suggest to go anything lower.

Last edited:

Freyth

Enlightened
I'd take them to a good knife store or knife show so they could see and handle a lot of different designs. I think knives are very personal and having other people pick one out for you seems shakey. I like the Spyderco's, but there's lots of good knives out there.

Unfortunately, where I live we don't get many knife stores or knife shows. The only knives I saw were the Leatherman line. Was placed in a glass cabinet with the leatherman multi tools.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Manix has good steel (S30V) sold at Walmart.

I bought a Browning IceStorm on Ebay a few months back, This knife was made by McCusta a Sekicut company in Japan (Benchmade quality) with VG10 steel, awesome knife for $28 shipped) and It has held up pretty good, it has very smooth action, absolutely no blade play and perfectly centered and a good linerlock.

HTH
AlexGT

carrot

Flashaholic
I have had half a dozen Byrds go through my hands and not a single person has been disappointed with the steel used. Admittedly it is not as good as VG-10 or 154cm, but I find it perfectly serviceable and I have not experienced this edge rolling problem.

In any case, the Benchmade Mini-Grip is certainly a nice place to start -- the 556 Drop Point model is the one I started with but now I've moved on to more expensive knives. Silly that my reasoning was if I get a decent and somewhat expensive knife (the Mini-Grip) then I won't have reason to upgrade... well, I was wrong. I too am a big Spyderco fan, but Benchmades are nice too. (All good, just different ;)) Currently I am very enamoured with the Spyderco Delica4 Stainless Steel, with serrated edge. Solid knife with strong lockup and a great feel. Pretty solid ergos, but as Valolammas mentioned, a choil would truly make the knife. All my regular EDC knives have choils. Unlike the Mini-Grip, however, you can choke up your index finger on the Delica's kick, acting as a sort-of choil.

If you are looking for a real cutter of a knife (and you don't intend to pry or stab anything) then the Caly Jr. in ZDP-189 is the best deal out there. ZDP-189 is a supersteel that is even stronger and harder than the highly lauded S30V. The Caly Jr. does have a choil too, with superb ergos.

Freyth

Enlightened
How does the 615 Mini Rukus fair?

What about the 960 Red/Silver Osborne knife?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Ooh, into the realm of fancier knives. I don't know anything about the 960 but the 615 Mini Rukus is supposed to be a beast of a knife. Big and tough.

carrot

Flashaholic
If you like big beefy knives, here are other considerations: Spyderco Manix, Emerson Mach-1, Strider knives, Buck-Strider SBMF.

Freyth

Enlightened
Not into big beefy knives YET. Reason I'm asking this is because that's what spyder tactical have in stock and I have a 30% discount.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a direct answer to your post, I EDC a BM 555 and love it. Previously I EDC'd a SOG Flash I b/c of the size - I hate bulk in my pocket and the BM is larger and heavier than I prefer, but I carry it anyway except with dress pants.

Most mini grip owners seem to like the 556 drop point, but the 555 sheep's foot works best for me (great for cutting out coupons and articles).

The mini grip is so well liked that you just can't go wrong with it. If you find that it just doesn't float their boat you can always sell off here.

carrot

Flashaholic
I wouldn't say that the prices at Spyder Tactical are great... with the 30% discount that brings their prices in line with other reputable dealers like New Graham Knives and Grand Prarie Knives.