sog multi tools..who has one do you like them.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am at present thinking of getting a new multi tool.Iam warming to sog range of tools.if you have one tell me what you think of it.i know some new sogs are about to hit the market one mid june and one aug or sept.so all i need is some input on durability of sogs.if anyone wants to check out the new models they are the new power assist and the new EOD powerlock 2.0.they can be found here www.sogknives.com

Last edited:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SOG crosscut I am selling in the B/S/T forum. It's a great keychain multitool, but I personally like my leatherman P4 better. I don't own any full size SOG multi tools but have heard great things about them.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SOG crosscut I am selling in the B/S/T forum. It's a great keychain multitool, but I personally like my leatherman P4 better. I don't own any full size SOG multi tools but have heard great things about them.
Yeah leathermans are great,i have some but i want something different.thanks for your input.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Powerlock is a big tool. Bigger than the LM Wave. Opens very smoothly, like a bank vault door. Downside is that the blades are hidden inside the handle so you have to open up the tool to access them. The gear mechanism - whatever its called - can poke into your hand when you are using the tools. The new flavor Powerlock will have a little cover on the gear to protect your hand. I prefer the Wave, but it is subjective.

may-10.jpg

cheers

dig-it

Newly Enlightened
I`ve got a Powerlock and its easily the heaviest multitool I own. It certainly is built like a tank. Not my edc because of its weight, right now I`m edcing Sebertech.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PowerLock B61, and the V2.0 looks SWEEEEET.

I don't notice the size or weight, since I carry a bunch of other stuff on my belt anyway. I'm quite happy with my SOGs (I carry a Trident as well).

EDIT: I spoke too soon! That's a nice-looking PowerAssist...

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PowerLock B61, and the V2.0 looks SWEEEEET.

I don't notice the size or weight, since I carry a bunch of other stuff on my belt anyway. I'm quite happy with my SOGs (I carry a Trident as well).

EDIT: I spoke too soon! That's a nice-looking PowerAssist...
they are both sweet i will have to flip a coin to separate them before purchase.thanks for the input guys.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I have a Powerlock w/V-Cutter (S60).

P5200363.jpg

I like it a lot. The pliers are, in all seriousness, the best pliers on any multi-tool. The other implements are good but not great (Not quite up to Victorinox/Leatherman quality but close). Example: The file is not cut along the entire surface and is shorter than it needs to be, as is the woodsaw. Fit and finish are excellent and the whole system works well. The "wings" take some getting used to but they haven't hindered me too greatly and they are removable (at a comfort cost).

I must be special because I have used the Powerlock for every little thing the past few months and have not had a problem with the gears digging into my hand. It's all in the grip, baby.

The Powerlock can also be found for 30-45$ on eBay NIB. I "watch" a lot of multi-tools and see Powerlocks go for less than other name brand multi-tools. However, make sure you look closely as there was a military run of Powerlocks that had three nylon spacers in place of three implements that are routinely sold as a fully equipped model.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
I have had my Sog s60 for about a year now. T-A-N-K. I use this thing to manipulate 1/4" steel no problem, these things also take a beating. Also, you can take the tool pivots ALL the way apart and switch all the tools around!

I love my powerlock and am looking forward to a powerassist when they come out.

Good luck titan!
Phil

Cole3388

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks,

I do like SOG multitools. My duty carry is a Powerlock. I've had it a little while and can't complain. Here's a factory picture.

yhst-93703311224345_1954_92611426

~Cole

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Powerlock is a big tool. Bigger than the LM Wave. Opens very smoothly, like a bank vault door. Downside is that the blades are hidden inside the handle so you have to open up the tool to access them. The gear mechanism - whatever its called - can poke into your hand when you are using the tools....

I also own a Powerlock and agree with the above comments.

The tool can be flipped open with one hand. But it's a bit heavy. Opening the individual tool you want requires 2 hands. But each tool locks into place. There's definitely some play when the tools lock open. (At least on my Powerlock). But the design is such that the tools won't fold on your fingers, with the handles closed.

Other than the weight, make sure you never misplace the belt pouch. The design of the multi-tool makes it so that finding an after-market pouch can be a pain. But yeah, if you don't like heavy multi-tools, look for a different model.

Fird

Enlightened
Hey, I know this thread is quite old, but I just bought a slightly used powerlock, natural finish, and so far I'm very happy with it. <snip> From post #9: The Powerlock can also be found for 30-45$ on eBay NIB. I "watch" a lot of multi-tools and see Powerlocks go for less than other name brand multi-tools. However, make sure you look closely as there was a military run of Powerlocks that had three nylon spacers in place of three implements that are routinely sold as a fully equipped model.</snip> I have the "military" variant, and I don't mind for the price i paid for it. There are no scissors, no 1/4" drive (i wanted that.. bummer).

Weight is NOT a big deal to me, and yes this tool is easily the heaviest tool I carry on my belt or in my pockets. To me the weight is worth it to have that much tool available when I need it.

The "ballistic nylon" holster will probably last me about 2 months, I tend to destroy belt edc items REALLY quickly because I truly do carry them every single day.

I've not yet used the double tooth saw, but I question it's practicality, being about 2.5" long. Any branch I can cut with that size saw, i can break more easily and much more quickly. <edit> Ok I spoke too soon. This afternoon my brother and I used the saw to free a snowmobile from some bushes/branches (don't ask how it got there). It cuts VERY well for a small saw

The straight blade is moderately sharp, but again this is a lightly used version. The serrated blade is plenty sharp, but as of now I have no idea what I'll use it for. I also EDC a solid 3" folding blade as my primary knife, so most of the blade functions of a multi tool are of limited usage unless I break or lose my primary knife.

The screwdrivers lock-back function make them automatically more usable than my old multitool, definitely a plus. Any proper screwdriver will obviously be more efficient, but in a situation where I'm reaching for my multitool, I don't have a standard screwdriver anyway.

Ahh, now my favorite part - the pliers. They are one-hand openable, just remember not to flick your wrist too hard or the handle will swing around and smash into your knuckles with considerable force (remember, it's heavy!). What I didn't see before I bought the unit is that it never "folds" like other multitools, the gears stay meshed from fully open to fully closed, and the plier jaws are open widest when the handles are ~180 degrees and close either direction. The one disadvantage is that the handles must move a LONG distance to accommodate anything other than small objects in the plier jaws. My hands aren't overly strong, so I find the 2x leverage extremely useful and I can deal with the extra handle travel required. I cracked a hazel nut (relatively hard with standard nut-crackers) with what I would describe as a 'very gentle squeeze' while testing them out. The "toolbox covers" make the handles quite comfortable to my small hands and will probably stay attached, it's nice to know I can remove them if I need to as they do make tool access slightly slower. Larger hands may have trouble with the small hinges digging in whilst using large amounts of force.

Overall - if weight doesn't matter, you prefer leverage over jaw capacity, and you need a bulletproof tool, go for it!

Fird

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i notice the individual tools appear to be bunched together without a spacer between them. So, when you take one tool out, do several come out with it? The leathermans have bronze bushings between the tools to prevent this. I'm thinking about getting the SOG powertool but prefer the option of a larger phillips.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i notice the individual tools appear to be bunched together without a spacer between them. So, when you take one tool out, do several come out with it? The leathermans have bronze bushings between the tools to prevent this. I'm thinking about getting the SOG powertool but prefer the option of a larger phillips.

Yes, some of the tools on the SOG do come out bunched together. This is something that is often described as a disadvantage by others. I have no clue why. Personally, I prefer it if the inner tools partially come out as I'm accessing one of the outer tools. It means I don't have to jam my finger into the handle of a multi-tool if I want to use one of the inner tools. Just grasp the tool right next to the handle, pull up, then access the inner tool I want. Then just gently push the rest back down.

I avoid multi-tools that are specifically designed so that the tools don't bunch together. It means I have to open up one of the outer tools first, then shove my finger-tip (which is far from skinny) into the handle, and try to pry up the tool I need. Result being that my finger-tip can't get underneath the tool to lift it up. So I just end up pulling out the other tools anyway. Until there is enough room for me to use my thumb as well; just to get to the tool I needed.

I'm sorry.... But to me, it just seems @$$ backwards to design a multi-tool that specifically causes the tools inside of a handle not to bunch up. And then brag about it as some sort of advantage.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thats a good point. Do you see any improvements needed for the powerlock?

The "teeth" sometimes get in the way when using the tool. But newer Powerlocks have a bigger shroud where the handles pivot. That's an improvement. I wish the tools locked with some authority. But the design itself means no major problems if the lock should fail while using the knife or saw blade.

The scissors need the most improvement. I'd expect to find them on a cheap, no-name multi-tool; not on a SOG product. On a personal basis, I don't see a need for a knife blade that's partially serrated, when a saw blade comes with the tool. I'd prefer a plain-edged blade.

Still, these things are mostly liveable.

Dantor

Enlightened
Sogs are great multitools, I'd put them somewhere inbetween Swisstools and Leathermans. I originally got mine (S60) because with Sog you can replace the tools easily (as in swamp out) and I replaced the scissors with the web cutter (the newer model hadn't come out yet).

Like everyone has said, "Tank!" it's not small or something you'd put in your pocket! It has great, strong pliers via the gear system. Well made and good steel.

The covers on my model do slip some when using the tool on harder applications but you can take them off but then the grip isn't as comfortable, but they did make them better on their newer models and even have covers over the gears so you know their listening to us!

Nice locking tools, good finish and no rattles (listening gerber fans!). I'd buy it again...