Nuwai Q3 - How do I open the Head? Cree Mod Help!

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Well the title isn't exactly right (any suggestions?) but i didn't quite know what to call the part that i'm having trouble with. I have managed to remove the actual head by placing the body in a plastic bag and then in hot water, but now i'm stuck getting the black plastic ring out.

It's just on top of the emitter and is holding it in the body and has two small grooves which i guess i can use to get it out. So is this part held in by another thread and will it just screw out? will i have to heat the body up again? I have tried already but i dont want to force it or break it.

I've just ordered a cree emitter from DX and have been reading up on making a heatsink (and doin the mod). I intend to use the stock driver board but i'm not sure what changes i need to make to the stock heatsink to make it work better or do i make a totally new one? (i am currently training on manual lathes so i can turn various parts).

Any input would be great... but i really need to get that plastic ring out!

Regards

Danny

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the Q3. You sure the plastic ring is loctited in? I had one a long time ago and don't remember any on the thing. Ogg, just try with some needle nose pliers. I think it should come out easliy.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I heated it up with a heat gun and then loosened the ring by carefully inserting a tiny screwdriver in one of the notches and applied a twisting pressure, alternating notches a couple of times. Eventually the adhesive gave out and the ring unscrewed.

Ogg Vorbis

Newly Enlightened
It's out! I just put it under a hair dryer (i heard of someone else doing this) for a few mins then found a different pair of pliers and it came straight out!

When Nuwai made these things they really didn't want them taking apart again! I also noticed when i got the emmitter/heatsink/driver board assembly out that the heatsink seems to have some form of thermal compound on it. I'm really impressed at the quality of this product!

Now i guess it's just waiting for that darn cree from DX and figuring out what to do about the heatsink

Thanks Everyone!

Danny

lexina

Enlightened
I used the stock heatsink but changed the board to the flupic and it's working great! Just needed to file a bit off the bottom of the reflector for proper focus.